Silverton trip March 2013...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Silverton trip March 2013...

Post by Prof » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:58 am

With Choppers Australia members spread all over Australia I take any opportunity I can to catch up with them especially if interstate. I’d missed the last couple of Mushters held in NSW and because half a dozen eastern state members were planning to go to this Silverton event I figured I’d go for a couple of days at least.
Because the event was during the working week Brian was the only South Australian member who could go with me.

I decided to go up Sunday in time to register with the Mad Max event, but had a swap meet to attend as well. I figured I could be finished at the swap meet which began at 7am, by 9.30am and Brian and I could leave his place at Tea Tree Gulley by 10am. We should then be able to comfortably cover the 500km to Broken Hil and then the 25km to Silverton by the 6.30pm registration time.

Sunday...

At 5.30am I walk up to my workshop in the dark. My 1981 shovelhead chopper is waiting packed and fuelled up ready to go. I meet up with Steve on his bobbed Kawasaki at Reynella and we have a straight run to Adelaide. The air, even at this hour is warm and I ride in just a thin shirt and leather vest. Love riding at this time of the day, little traffic, glowing street lights and the promise of a reluctantly lightening sky as the sun gradually shows its face for another day.

The day brightens as we cruise through the last suburbs before Campbelltown, noting the odd vehicle loaded with odd things obviously having the same odd destination as ourselves.

It takes an hour or so to quickly pass all the stalls, stopping whenever something catches my interest. I make a few purchases and almost buy a shovelhead motor for $2000, but having made a few phone calls about it, decide to give it some more thought... Very hard to desist, as I have been wanting one for a roller I have had for six months.

Part way through the meet, we come across Glenn and Will and catch up briefly when we have finished looking, interrupted as usual by passers by wanting to talk about our old school choppers. The usual comments are made about appreciating bikes that are designed for riding rather than impressing. Interest in the healthiness of the ‘old school/classic’ chopper scene is always strong and one of these guys is keen for further contact.

We start our choppers and roll, thumpety thump, sedately out of the entrance... No need to pose when on an old school chop.

Brian’s xs650 chopper is sitting loaded and ready to go when Steve and I roll up. Some quick goodbyes while I unload my purchases and his lads put them in his shed and we are off. Steve heads for home and I follow Brian to a servo, where after a quick fill up we head out of the city.

The sun is well and truly beating down as we head out through the traffic, bypassing Gawler and motoring up the highway towards Broken Hill. Tarlee is our next stop where Brian refills his sporty tank to allow him to travel another 70 miles before fillup. To cover the bigger gaps between fuel outlets, Brian carries a further tank full in a plastic fuel can lashed behind his sissy bar.

The owner of the Grasshopper Inn at Tarlee races across and asks us to wait while she gets her camera to take pics for her hubby who she tells us in building a chopper in the shed out the back!

Our biggest expense, after fuel, on this trip is bottled water; forty dollars worth for me and I am already almost finished the first of four army canteens I carry.
We settle down to steady 100 km cruising, swapping places every twenty minutes or so.

We fill up again at Burra and I call Ross in Terowie and arrange to eat lunch with him when we arrive.

Real ‘EasyRider’ cruising as we leave civilisation well behind. Our choppers roar side by side through long straight stretches across the hot, flat and dry country side. This is cropping land and light coloured stubble stretches as far as we can see. We pass through a number of small towns which including Terowie are now virtual ghost towns with just a few residents and in some cases a pub struggling with excessive insurances and drink licences while trying to cater for an ever diminishing population.
We are welcomed by Ross and his wife themselves now retired but living in the pub they also had to recently close. While we are taking outside a potential customer pulls up wanting a cool beer, but has to be satisfied with another half hour of dry driving before his thirst is quenched!

Lunch over, Brian and I take out leave, fill up again at the servo and roar off to the north to cover another 90 odd kays to the next fuel at Yunta.
There’s very little traffic, mainly semis sweeping towards and past flicking thousands of small particles over us and they roar past.
Both the choppers are running beautifully, their pipes roaring their pleasure at being on the open road.

The heat is really beating down on us as we do a U turn and pull into the main truck stop at Yunta.

We fill up and then idle our bikes across the street to the shade of a partially renovated building. Here we take a 15 minute break, taking off our shirts now soaked in sweat and drinking plenty of water. I finish off my third canteen pouring some of the precious liquid over my head and down my back.

I have taken some good pics of Brian ‘knees in the breeze’ and now get a bit of video of him... Bringing his bike over... Much to his disgust!

Break over, we remount and blast off once again to enjoy more straight roads, the steady roar of our exhausts... and the hot wind in our faces... We are making good use of a big tube of UV cream Brian is carrying and are keeping our sleeves buttoned to out wrists... but still getting our share of wind and sunburn.

We pass through Mannahill and Olary, nothing much there and then more empty country to the sides, a ribbon of road stretching into the distance and a hot sun over head
As 60 miles rolls around on my trip meter, I close up to Brian and point at my tank... Time for him to fill up, but he shakes his head... he presumably wants to see just how far his tank will last. He finds out half a dozen miles later and we pull off in the read dirt on the roadside so he can fill up from his jerry can.

I get a couple of nice pics of the two bikes in the empty country side, and after more water, we fire up and head off again.

More of the same great riding staggered side by side, we see the occasional pair or couple of pairs of emus, but none is on the road.

Then I notice that Brian’s bike is missing... and the missing gets worse. I can’t work out why Brian isn’t responding and finally start to move over to check things out, when he finally pulls over... His left carby has fallen off!!! He pushes it on and while I hold it, he tightens the clamp. This is often a problem with getting rid of the stock air box on these bikes and CB750s... There is no rear support for the carbies.

Anyway, some more water and soaking my neckerchief and back ‘in the wind’.

We pull up in Cockburn while Brian gets a shot of the Border sign “To prove I went there”! A swig from my half empty canteen and we turn our choppers back towards Broken Hill.

Coming into some hills and winding road I hit the brakes to miss a small goat and Brian who must have been momentarily somewhere else comes flying past to the left and misses me by inches. There are a lot of goats in this short hilly section, but they are all smart enough to keep off the road, Our roaring exhausts send them running none-the-less!

We see very few roos the whole trip but plenty of goats, emus and a few days later a whole lot of eagles.

It’s late in the afternoon as we enter the outskirts of Broken Hill. Althoug I have been through this city quite a few times over the years, I’d forgotten how extensive the cemetery is... More like what you imagine on some of the European battle fields... Basically as far as one can see in three directions.

putting back the carby

I know where the Silverton turnoff is but we cross over this as we hunt for a servo. Brian cuts across the road to ask a woman and her daughter for directions. We head on in the same direction we were going and find it.

Fuelled up and with a big resupply of bottled water we inspect our bikes. I give mine a dose of chain lube and Brian discovers an exhaust stud has stripped and fallen out an the pipe is getting in the way of his shifter. The remaining bolt is tightened up with a spanner from my tool box . We get some interesting looks from others filling up their cars... well what do you expect... a couple of classic choppers, dirty, loaded for travel, two grimy riders and SA number plates.

A couple of shiny Harleys ride past and we follow soon after with just twenty five km to go to get to Silverton.

Ol750 on our way to Menindie lakes on Monday

The sun is now very low in the sky and it’s glare is hitting us full in the face. The Silverton Road was built by collecting all the bumps the road makers could find and put in this one piece of road. Added to this are dips every fifty yards! The road also goes mainly through small hillocks so we repeatedly are riding semi blinded by the sun.
The Silverton sign finally shows up and we roar into a very broad dusty street boarded by very old and in some cases derelict stone buildings. On the right I see a building that looks like the one the Mad Max guys should be. Sure enough there are some crazy vehicles in the front yard and a bunch of enthusiastic and weirdly dressed folks waving enthusiastically at us. A banner proclaiming it as ‘The Compound” looks down an all these strange goings on.

I do a U turn and enter the gateway , Brian closely behind. We are literally swamped by a half a dozen smiling faces. One particular person is enraptured by ‘real old school choppers’ and we are welcomed warmly.

Lots of these critters, but none got too close

Once of the bike and introduced, I look around for ‘Ol 750’ who has organised the Choppers Australia contingent. NO one has heard of him and I am directed into the building where the guy ‘who isn’t responsible’ will register us and sort us out.

We wait, sort of in line for ten minutes while a couple of others are ‘fixed up’ .

And then it is our turn. “ol 750” just left. No we are not booked in here. He is staying at the Silverton caravan park. We’d better go there.

He isn’t at the caravan park either, but the lady kindly lets us in to out ‘digs’ and we are able to unpack our gear. He’d gone to the pub for tea, so back on our faithful steeds, much lighter now, we ride to the pub. Ol 750’s bike is out the front and he is just about to head back to the Mad Max boys.

Menindie lake
They have arranged a free visit to the Mad Max Museum and we are invited to tag along. One of the guys is firing up his Humungus truck sending sheets of flame out of the twin exhausts using just spark plugs and running the engine rich... Quite spectacular in the dark.

Finally, everyone gets organised and we ride/drive our various unorthodox vehicles the 400 yards to the museum.

The museum is quite an experience especially some videos of the making of the films and original test footage playing.

I think a lot of the MM enthusiasts would have stayed there all night, but a movie made from the previous year’s reunion footage is scheduled, so gradually the museum empties. I have a bit of fun in the dark warm night riding/sliding around the few Silverton streets (dirt tracks), before roaring into ’The Compound’ for the film.

It is very long and I am very tired, so well before it ends I am asleep on the ashfelt by my chopper! Brian it turn out also goes to sleep in his chair, but Ol 750 perseveres and enjoys the movie.

The Mad Max folks are still enthusing about everything Mad Max as we roar out of The Compound and back to tour bunkhouse at the caravan park.
Brian and Ol750 are still talking when I crawl into my bag and drop off for a well earned sleep.

Monday...

Ol750 and Brian are up when I wake and we have a leisurely breakfast and a look around the park,

None of the other Choppers Australia guys have shown up yet and we are sure Tex will be here before too long, but we agree to go for a ride to Menindee and its lakes.
My camera battery is not holding its charge and I need to purchase a new one and an charger (left mine home).

Being the organiser of the CA contingent Ol750 takes the lead as we bounce back along the Silverton Road. Quite a few goats and some sheep around, but they keep out of our way.

'the compound'

It’s once again looking like another Hot day and the heat can be felt through out black leather vests... a good reason for the light brown one I am planning soon!
Ol750 leads us to the shopping centre where we pick up more water and a few other bits and pieces. We fuel up and then go looking for the camera shop in the main street, having been given directions by a shop in the shopping centre.

It’s easily found and i talk the lady in the shop to put my new battery and old battery on charge for twenty minutes. When I get outside the shop the others are in a serious discussion with a couple from Victoria who are building a chopper. Instead of looking around the town as I’d intended, we spend the time talking with them.
Then trying to remember a few directions we go looking for the Medindie road.

We find it and under a very hot sun move down the ribbon of mostly straight highway for the next 120 kays.

Again we take it in turns to lead. There is no traffic and we often as not take up the full roadway.

30 kays out we drop down a hundred feet or so to the plain through some twisty road. I make a mental note to organise some photos here on our way back.

We encounter plenty of emus but they are well off the road... very tempting to chase one that is running along a fence on a dirt track to see how fast he can do. There are also a lot of some goats and in one spot half a dozen eagles hanging around some road kill. A bit further on a large eagle standing by the roadside watches as we ‘fly’ past.

The sun beats down on us but the temperature while on the move is not unpleasant... But we can feel our exposed skin burning. There are a lot of white puffy clouds and occasionally we enjoy the noticeable relief of a few hundred yards of shaded black top, then back into the heat.

After an hour, I pull ahead and bring everyone to a stop. I need some water and UV cream, so I figure the others do to. Ol750 says,” You could have pulled up in some shade”, my reply being, “What shade?” There are low scrubby trees in patches and individually, but invariablythey are 30 yards off the road and I don’t think the others would be too keen on bush bashing to get there.

We return to steady cruising until we roll through a few curves and over a railway line and a large water filled channel. We have reached the Menindee lakes.
I happen to be out front and I swing up a dirt road that goes up a rise to the right. A couple of hundred yards of sandy track negotiated and we get to see one of the lakes. Water stretches a long way to a border of trees in the distance, though it looks to be only six of so feet deep, judging by the reeds poking through.

A bit of a stretch, a drink and we mount up again and head the last few miles to the township of Medindie. This is obviously a much newer town than what we have been through so far as most of the buildings are timber framed. We pull up in the shade of some pepper trees at the general store and Ol750 offers to shout us all a milkshake. The store is for sale if anyone is interested... Certainly be a bit different to suburbia!

Brian heads down to the pub, which he visited many years prior. He wants to look at all the memorabilia on their walls. He returns lamenting the fact that the pub is a new one, the old one having been burnt down and all the artefacts lost.

After lunch (cans for Brian and I) we go for a bit of a tour of the town. A bloke in a 4x4 pulls up to offer us assistance, but we are ok. We ride over a bridge on the southern edge of town just so we can say we have crossed the Darling River and then head back to the lakes.

Brian remembers visiting the lake on the east side of the road, so we turn off and head a couple of Kays to find a few buildings and a beautifully lawned area at the edge of the lake. Just before the rest area, we have to negotiate a tight right hander. Brian misses it and skids to a halt in the dirt twenty yard past the T!

We pull up in the shade of some large trees. A tap right by us supplies ‘luverly kool watah” and we rip off out shirts and make good use of it. Its very relaxing sprawled out on the shady lawn looking across acres of still water. On the far shore, some single hump camels are enjoying the cool water.

But we need to press on, mounting our trusty steeds once again. The others take off ahead of me, and I do a U turn to collect my glasses off the tap... Road’s a bit hazy without them!

Once again, virtually no traffic except for the occasional ute as we listen to each other’s exhaust note and look across miles of featureless country side. The utes all have a third-tray size cage on the rear which I assume is NSW law for carrying dogs... bit of a waste of tray space.

We cruise for the next hour, stopping once for a drink and to get a few pics of the bikes against the desolate landscape.

We stop as the hilly section mentioned before comes into view and I ride ahead to set up a good spot to get some pics. Soon I here the roar of the two bikes, but have to wait a while before they come into view. Either our bikes are awfully noisy or sound carries a long way out here.

My camera battery dies as I am about to click, so it’s a case of , “Do it again please” Then it’s ol750’s turn and Brian and I roar off. He gets video and stills and I wait for him to get back on his bike and catch up. Brian has roared off ahead, no doubt to get some pics of us as we go past.

The sun is getting low as we roll into Broken Hill and after filling up at the servo and picking up (you guessed it) more water we endure the bumpy Silverton Road and sun in our eyes. Ol750 leading, brakes hard at one spot as sheep decide to cross the road and we see a couple of roos some distance away.

We drop into ‘The Compound” to see what’s up and find out they have been visiting various Mad Max sites and filming all day, but still enthusiastically Mad Maxing. I tell them Brian and I will be leaving in the morning. They ask if we can possibly come around to do some filming of the whole pack of bikes. We arrange to see them about 9.30am and then roar off back to the caravan park for tea... some of ol750’s sausages, onion and eggs... jolly good grub after canned food.

Once again I crash early and leave Brian and Ol750 in the kitchen talking.

Tuesday...

Lot’s of costumed people are rushing back and forth and out of this world vehicles are coming to life as we arrive. We chuck on a few bits of costume to make us more authentic and yell out an offer of a spare seat, which is quickly taken up by one of the guys. He’s pleased as punch to be in on the filming and collects up his own set of costume and a fearsome axe made from a cut up disc rotor.

After instructions are given a dozen bikes take off with a roar. I stick together in a close line at 90k on the windy bumpy road as the film units slowly come past getting footage of each individual bike as well as the group.

We pull up at a big gravel parking area on a hill, near where some of the original filming took place and they do some specific filming of a replica cop on a replica cop bike, as well as an interview with all of us milling about our bikes in the background.

I catch up with the ‘director/cameraman’ and offer Brian’s and my services to give him a bit of footage of us playing chicken on our bikes in the carpark. He takes us up on our offer and ol750, Briam and I proceed to give him some good stuff. The car park is on the top of a hill and very rocky so the tyres suffer somewhat as we kick up gravel and stones and slide around the place.

Part way through Brian overdoes it and drops his bike. People rush to his aid. Damn!! Doesn’t look good. Out with tools and try to straighten things up. We finally get enough leverage with two of us heaving on a steel handled axe. That’s the forwards bar straightened, but one Anderson peg is pretty sad and his clutch lever is snapped off... Once the tools are packed away everyone is ready to do the run back for a final film sequence of the whole group.

My bike backfires and won’t start. I left the ignition on in my rush to help Brian and the right coil is stinking hot. Good thing we are on a high hill. I roll start it down the road and it finally fires. Then with one of the Mad Maxers who followed me down, we blast back to catch the rest of the mob. The coil is still too hot and the bike takes 5 kays to finally run right.

Our goodbyes said, the three of us head back to pack, and that done ride the bumpy road back to Broken Hill. Brian’s clutch lever is just operable as a result of some wire and skillfu use of a hacksaw blade borrowed from the Silverton Museum! Some nice guns in there too!

We get some supplies at the supermarket and say goodbye to ol750... About three times as we keep crossing paths over the next 15 minutes. Back at the bikes Brian and I decide to move his bike to another spot a few cars away as a bit of a lark... but he shows up again before we can make a move. Rats!

Next step is a bike shop for a new lever. A local in his 4x4 gives us directions and that task is soon complete. Now a welding shop and we are given two options. For twenty bucks our first option accomplishes the job on the Anderson Peg... A steel one I made for Brian years ago.

I had asked the bike shop about a Broken Hill bloke, Bolton’s Cycle Works, building choppers and we chase up that place crisscrossing and re crisscrossing blocks of streets in the process.

Jamie is a nice bloke, with a welding and fabrication business, recently expanded into chopper and bobber and cafe building. We spend a pleasant half hour with him and are about to ride off when we remember Brian’s tombstone tail light is hanging by one bolt. Jamie let’s me scruffle through his boxes of bolts until I find something.

Then it’s a fuel stop and we are off home via Mildura. The place we stop at has only 91 octane so while Brian fills up I ride across the street to talk to a travel stained rider on an equally travel stained 4 cylinder something or other. He has come over from WA and on his way to Sydney... Just waiting for a couple of mates who have ridden across to escort him east.

Brian’s done and we take off to find our original servo so I can fill up. Brian gets caught in traffic and goes on missing me doing a U turn.

We spend the next 15minutes trying to find each other!... and this is another good thing about choppers... From behind they have a distinctive silhouette even if at maximum distance. I finally see him far ahead.

Filled up we get directions to the Mildura exit and its quickly back on the road cruising. Its now past mid afternoon and I had arranged to catch up with one of our members in Mildura, so we settle down to a steady hundred and a bit kays.

There is absolutely no traffic and for most of the trip we take up both lanes enjoying each others exhaust notes. It’s again HOT and we periodically stop for liquid to ups and UV application, staying in one spot by big cattle yards a bit longer to open a can of food. For the first time on the whole trip flies were about, which really surprised me as when I lived in the Flinders you had to talk with lips closed to keep them out. Eating was also cheap up there as you just buttered your bread and for protein snapped the halves together on a hundred flies!

The surrounding country side is pretty barren with areas of low bushes and the occasional scrubby trees... Lots and lots of goats though... Wouldn’t mind coming up on a shooting trip.

The map says there is a fuel stop about half way; a place called Coomba Roadhouse. We pull in there and the pumps are locked. I get off the bike and walk towards a rather derelict looking building and am met by an equally derelict looking woman who tells us they’ve had an electrical fault and its being repaired... No fuel in other words...

My request for the next fuel is met with “About 30 minutes down the road.” We take off... and there ain’t no fuel stop... Anywhere! This will be interesting as ol750’s map had indicated that I could just make Mildura on a tankful, but Brian is going to be touch and go.

So more miles of flat hot country side gradually showing more vegetation as we keep rolling south. The only real breaks to the monotony is a nice little lake (Popita Lake), with a few caravans parked around it, just down from the ‘roadhouse’ and a line of large trees indicating a river bed as we get close to Wentworth.

We pull into a rest stop to fill in Brian’s last bit of petrol and as the sun is low and has lost its bite ttake off our shirts for the remaining part of the ride. Interesting toilet here... Newly made out of curved iron, which various idiots had driven their vehicles into and blasted with shotguns!

As dusk comes upon us, Brian in the lead and being a bit more cautious drops his speed right back and we mosey along alert for wild life coming out of the spindly trees that now line much of the highway.

Wentworth now appears out of the dark and we ride through the town on over a bridge looking for the lights of a servo... None! I definitely can’t make it the extra 25 kays to Mildura and I know Brian won’t either. We turn around and amble back through the darkened town looking for someone to direct us.

Brian spies a couple of blokes outside the pub and pulls up. I meanwhile have been knocking on the door of a supermarket, but although the people inside have seen me they won’t come to the door.

Brian and the blokes and two ladies are taking excitedly. They have recognised his Choppers Australia patch and know our mate Bacca... in fact they are members of Bikers Against Child Abuse and the pub is the meeting place.

They have no petrol, but rustle up a hose and container and drain one of the guys cars. Looking in side our tanks with a torch shows them to be just about bone dry. I think we must have made the last few kays on petrol vapour. We get about a gallon each which they refuse to let us pay for.

It’s now around 9pm and we need to get going or our Mildura host will be in bed. The Wentworth to Mildura road appears in the dark to be bordered by vines, so we speed up a bit. It’s now getting pretty cool and I’ll be glad to get to a servo and get my shirt back on.

Filled up and with a bit more food under our belts I call up our host. The wife answers... He’s in bed, but she’ll pass on a message. Bugger! He’ll be at work early and we have to be home tomorrow, so we’ll miss catching up... Quite disappointing.

I had tried to call another chopper mate KBG, but couldn’t find his number and I do want to catch up with him too so it will have to be tonight as well. I know his street name and can vaguely recall his house, so we get directions and take off through the pleasantly cool evening.

Finally find KGB’s place. The lights are on, so looks like they’re still up. I knock on the door and a rather dazed bloke looks at me vaguely. KGB was just heading to bed, but is happy to show us what he has been building since we were there about a year ago.

The three of us have a good time and Brian and I are offered the carport to bed down on. Glad I brought my blow up mattress as these old and battered bones don’t take to hard surfaces too well anymore. Was a time when I camped out so much that at home I slept on the floor cos the bed was too soft... Not any more!

Wednesday

At 6am I am woken by KGB as he walks out to his vehicle to go to work. I next wake up at 830. Brian and I fairly quickly pack up and locking the gate behind us go in search of a servo.

Petrol, oil top up, chain lube and tyre check more water and lean against the wall eating breakfast... and now time to go.

The temperature is better today and really enjoyable riding taking it in turns to lead, most of the time riding staggered and close. The road is pretty rough and I spend most of my time to the left of the white verge line... Noticeably less bumps along here.

We stop to top up Brian’s tank and discover his muffler bolt has pulled out of the muffler. Nothing a pliers and bit of fncing wire can’t fix. Then his bike won’t start. The battery is dead flat.. We trace the problem to a corroded earth. After a couple of jump starts from my battery, Brian is able to keep the bike revving enough for the alternator to keep it running.

We only recently converted his stock electromagnet alternator to a permanent magnet job... Good thing we did.

From then on we make good time through to the SA border. And there’s nothing to declare at the fruit fly inspection place just outside Renmark.

A club member lives on a property in Paringa and we divert to drop in... But he’s not home. There’s an interesting raiseable bridge between Paringa and Renmark and I st myself up behind Brian to get a photo of him crossing it. For some reason he pulls off at the beginning of the bridge and with a semi right on my tail I have no alternative to keep going. I still get a pic, but with no chopper in it.

More fuel at Renmark (my trip costs me $213 in fuel) and we continue on through Berri, Glossop and Barmera the roadway bordered closely by vineyards and some wineries... The stink from each winery definitely puts me off drinking wine!

We are still conscious of sun and wind burn as we lean into a head wind at we ride across the open country through Waikerie to the Adelaide Hills. At our fuel stop in Wakerie we are approached by a guy who is building a bobber and very much admires out choppers and the fact that they are out on the road not just for show.

Traffic is much heavier along the Sturt highway and as we are just cruising at 100 kays, we frequently pull off onto the shoulder to allow the big rigs to pass.
Nice riding through some hilly stuff once we hit Truro and then wide new road bypassing Nuriootpa. Brian finally runs out of juice just out of Gawler, so we enjoy a 15minute stop and some food and drink.

As soon as we bypass Gawler, and the traffic thickens once more, Brian spurts ahead. I catch up and follow him as he aggressively moves through the traffic. At a red light, I yell out, “Whats up ?” He replies, “I’m trying to keep out of the way of all these d....heads!” I think the poor bloke is in shock after three days of wide open spaces and no other road users!

We finally roll into his driveway. His whole family pours out of the front door at the sound of our bikes and the questions fly thick and fast.
I load up my gear from the swap meet that seems such a long time ago and head off for home.

It’s been a great time and could only have been better if it was longer, but that’s the way it always is.

Cruising the highway, on a chopper you have come to appreciate and rely on... there’s not much else that can compare.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

tigerbob

Re: Silverton trip March 2013... Photos soon

Post by tigerbob » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:19 pm

Great read- makes me wish I was there although I would have preferred Snake Gully Road back from Gawler. It includes twisty bits and nice scenery with less of those d*ckheads you mentioned.

It shows what you can accomplish without all the adjuncts to life that we seem to "need" these days- well done!
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:00 pm

Agreed +1. Great story, Prof. Looks like you and Brian had a blast, open roads, camping out, Mad Max-ing, wish I could have gone, too.
(wish I had a bike !!!!)

Tigerbob wrote "....although I would have preferred Snake Gully Road back from Gawler"

Aaaah, Snake Gully road, 15 kays from my house.....my local "test track" 8)
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:08 pm

My test track was the old (and new at times) Norton Summit Rd. The Gorge was usually too busy but used to take Snake Gully (and still do) to visit family in the Barossa.

My Grandfather-in-law had a farm on off Snake Gully Rd at One Tree Hill. I can remember when it was gravel too.
'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm

You've spent time here, if you know Norton Summit rd. One the THE roads to ride in Adelaide. :D :D

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Yes, I know it very well. I grew up (or should that be was raised) in Adelaide, having lived in Campbelltown, Rostrevor, & Mt Barker. Also spent a lot of time in Angaston & Ebeneezer. I generally headed for the hills rather than the beach.

I didn't know how good we had it road and food wise until I left a few years ago.

I do love Sydney though!
'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

ol_750

Post by ol_750 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:48 am

Some of the playmates

Ride Hard Live Free
Twisties seperate the men from the boys
FarRider 413 "IT'S JUST A ROAD"
2 x XJ750RL , 4 x XJ900 , XS650 , XV1000 TR1,VN1500 Classic.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu May 09, 2013 9:02 am

Photos in at last...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Re: Silverton trip March 2013...

Post by Bearcx » Thu May 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Awesome stuff. Just re-read the whole story. Recognise KBG's place from the green ute in the drive.....(welder still running well, mate !)

XSChop

Re: Silverton trip March 2013...

Post by XSChop » Wed May 15, 2013 11:00 pm

What a GREAT trip !
Well written and photographed too.
My sincere apologies for not being there.
Comes of having a JOB now you see.
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”