March 2016 Campbeltown Swap meet & Knees in the Breeze/KK

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

March 2016 Campbeltown Swap meet & Knees in the Breeze/KK

Post by Prof » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:08 pm

After an uneventful and enjoyable ride through the city in the dark, I arrived at Campbeltown swap meet. Ushered in by the marshals who happily took my $5.00 I parked in an area facing the gate reserved for motorcycles. then taking my torch, I took of for a quick walk around the swap meet. There was a long line of cars/utes/trailers driving onto the oval as I moaved quickly from stall to stall to see if there were any obvious purchases to be made.

A very large display of classic cars and rods is always a part of the day...

Nice Chrysler ute...

Flash Stingray (I think I'd be afraid to drive it)...

Now here's a machine...

Or you could go military... interesting tray added on ...

There were only a few stalls with a few bike bits... this one by far the most interesting. Most stalls with bike parts had either original clutzy exhaust systems for sale, overpriced billet HD stuff or small engined stuff. Shovel gearbox on this stall sold by end of day for $500 supposedly low mileage and in top condition...

Terry came by an hour or so later on his recently completed xs650. He loves riding it and reckons it is just right. Winter it will be pulled down for a nice paint job.

I went back to my shovel a few times and each time got bailed up by someone interested in choppers, building a chopper or commenting on how great it is to see one that is ridden regularly...

As I was about to leave, Kevin, Rob and Mick rolled up to have a look around and then go for a cruise. A bloke came up to me to say he is on our forums "all the time" and wanted some ideas about registering the HD trike he is building. He looked in his late forties and his voice sounded familiar. I asked if I knew him and he replied that I ought to as I used to take his older sister to church when he was in primary school in Pt Pirie!

I found very little to buy at this meet so quickly got loaded and then took off to my next destination. This weekend was also a Kustom Kulture event in the Highway Hotel car park. The owner of Midwest Traders had once again (see previous report) organised a Poker Run called 'Knees in the Breeze' starting off at his establishment just off lower Rundle Street and that was where I was headed...

There were probably around 50 bikes there, mostly cafes and customs... and one lone red HD shovel chopper. As usual I couldn't move too far from my faithful girl because of the interest in a real classic chopper...

Half an hour after I arrived, we moved off making one hell of a racket there being a lot of open mufflers in the crowd...

First stop was a cafe in Hawker Street, Hindmarsh. We all got our cards and then got down to taling and checking out each others machines. This was one of a couple of modern Indians...

More interest in the shovel. A number of women were in the group on their bikes. This girl rode her 250 cafe, but was keen to build a classic chopper.

A lot of the bikes were cafe'd like this Honda, but most had smaller donks...

Then we took off again down Torrens Road and back along Findon, Grange, Holbrooks Roads and up Sir Donadl Bradman Drive. Lovely paint job on this shovel. Good to see some different pipes on a HD. sounded nice too...

Little Honda 125...

This guy impressed every one with his wheelies at the traffic lights...

Some of the crowd...

Another female rider... safety gear is eye catching and definitely 60's style! Note the shoes!

With one card to go we roll into the Highway Hotel park... Interesting pre unit Beesa for sale, though I would not approve the method of hardtailing... definitely heading for cracked welds on the seat rails...

One of a couple of M60 Beezas. There were lots of them being used on farms and as ride-to-work bikes when I was young, being only a few years after WW2. They were the Brits' equivalent tof the WLA...

Tidy xs 650...

Kevin and the other CA blokes rocked up some time after I did as well as Pete & Mary on their newly finished trike. I spent an hour or so talking with a few stall holders (Learnt a lot about pin striping from one stall holder) and answering questions about the shovel.

I'd had a hard day on the previous Saturday plus a very early morning so bid goodbye to the others and took a very straight line home. I didn't rush. Just sat with the traffic mostly... enjoying the throaty rumble of the big V twin beneath me, laid back in my own special world...

A good day, catching up with friends, meeting new and interesting folks, getting good feed back on the bike and interest in Choppers Australia.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”