SA 2016, Naracoorte ride and swap meet...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

SA 2016, Naracoorte ride and swap meet...

Post by Prof » Mon May 02, 2016 11:14 am

A couple of years ago, we rode down to the Naracoorte swap meet and found quite a bit of bike gear. I missed out last year, but was able to join the other guys again this year. Numbers riding were down due to bad backs and family engagements, so only four of us made it.

The weather forecast was not too promising, so I took my tent instead of a small lean-to I use when going to swap meets overnight. We were all prepared for the worst and had plenty of water proof gear packed.

I met Kevin and Pete at Kangarilla at 10am and we then moseyed off to meet Terry at Strathalbyn.

Sky very overcast, but the bit of rain around was in the far distance. Run down to the Wellington punt was great though a bit gusty once running alongside Lake Alexandrina...

Little boy was taken with Pete's trike and Pete didn't need to ask him twice if he wanted to sit on it!...

I got some good riding shots of Terry on the way to Meningie...

Time to fill up. We did this regularly as Terry's and Kevins tanks don't hold as much as Pete's and mine.

Also time for a bit of lunch...

I rarely buy takeway, but pick up cans from the supermarket... and carry three days supply of water in army canteens...

On the road again. Still the rain stayed away from us. We did come across patches of damp tarmac where showeres had passed. In the lead at one stage, I swung across to hit a large puddle much to the disgust of Kevin and Terry clsoe behind who got showered! Woke them up anyway!

Stopped at Salt Creek for fuel for the other two and a toilet stop for me. Sign in the toilet expressed the proprieters plea for keeping it clean and notifying users he had to maintain it with no government assistance and asked we at least buy something. I dropped $2 on the counter to a very surprised attendant...

Two choppers nicely lined up...

Puling up at Kingston SE and still rain-free, I spoke with a couple of bike riders going the other way. They had come over to Canberra for the Anzac Dawn Service and were on their way back to Perth. They had hit heavy rain around Warnambool.

A big white van with darkened rear windows was fuelling up and I noticed the uniformed driver open the side door to reveal a bloke in a cage within the van. So I walked up to him and said I was intrigued. Was the the latest way to disguise carrying valuables? Well of a sort, he replied, between prisons!

Then our final leg to Naracoorte, again hitting some wet patches, but the rain staying in the distance. Experimented with some more pics from different angles...

Roads were quite wet in Naraccorte. We pulled into the showgrounds and swung right to the camping section. A caravan right at the end housed the caretakers. They came out as three load bikes and one trike pulled up. Kevin had previously enquired and been told it was $10 per person per night. Lady was not to happy to have us and asked questions like. I don't want to be woken up by noisy bikes. Are you going to party etc, etc. And it was going to be $15 per person per night... and were we going to use the showers?

Kevin straightened her out on the rate, "I've got the number of the person I rang right here in my book. Do you want to call them?" Anyway we got it for ten per night and I gathered the money and paid her. Then she proceeded to put us right away from everyone in a corner by the stables.

Her husband was much friendlier and suggested we actually camp IN the stables to keep out of the rain and wind. The patch of grass she had offered us was flooded! We took the stables...

Because I like to advertise Choppers Australia whenever I can, I was keen to put my shovel chopper with literature on it where swap meet attendees will see it. I had rung Dave from Mount Gambier earlier about dropping down to see him and check out his Honda chopper that will be a feature of our next CnB mag. He also told me he was coming up to the swap meet late afternoon, so I had the brilliant idea of calling and asking if I could put the shovel by his stall. The answer was yes.

Before tea, I rode the shovel up to the swap meet organisers and asked them to if he'd rocked up yet and was told no. I called him again and he said he'd been delayed and would be up at 7.30pm.

While I was out there I figured I'd check out any goods on display. No bike stuff, but this cool Landrover 4WD once owned by Alby Mangels was for sale. The guy wanted $70 grand. He must be dreamin'.

Dave finally rolled up about 8pm and I put the bike over by his stall which included his wife's Shannons tents.

Mean while back at the stables, Terry decided to set up in a stall and made some comment about being put in the stable because there was no room in the inn. I suggested he'd better watch out or a baby might appear. He thought he'd be quite happy with a babe!

Tea on the sawdust...

Jon had planned to come, but did not expect to get off work until 4pm. As it turned out he was let off at 1pm, so loaded up his chopper and hit the road. 20 minutes later he ran into heavy rain. He had wanted to come dwon and see if there was a good Go cart to buy for the ankle biters, so had considered the car. The rain made the decision for him and he rode home and grabbed the car; then didn't see another drop of rain! He rolled up as we ere supping and I went out and directed him into our little hideaway. He decided it would be easiest to just sleep in the car...

We all hit the sack around 10pm and Terry and I rose at 6.30am and headed out to see what goodies we could find. I took a few photos for all you viewers...

Local model flying club display...

Aftermarket HD rigid frame for sale for $450. OK price if you wanted a wide rear tyre... It sold...

Oil in frame Triumph,69/73... for $7500. Sold...

Cool (pun) paint job...

A few of the Show 'n Shine entrants...

According to Dave, this car towing the caravan travels all over Australia. Has 186 motor and Holden front end and running gea, air conditioner, fridge etc...

Our display got a lot of interest and contacts...

A funny story about Jon. He found a suitable go-cart, so was really chuffed. Very pleased he'd brought the car. The seller started it up for him and all. Jon dragged it back through the stalls and then started it up to ride back to the stables. Started great. But the brakes were stuffed. Running out of room he madly rode in circles until he could find how to switch it off!!!

He had to drive home for his daughter's birthday party, so headed off in the late morning taking my purchses with him. He even dropped them off at Willunga on the way home. Thanks a million Jon.

Terry and I helped Dave and his wife, Leah pack up at around 3pm and then followed him to Mt Gambier...

20 minutes out, I heard a muffled bang and immediately, began checking my bike and then looking back at Terry. I could smell rubber and then got hit in the cheek by something. It was then I noticed Dave's trailer left tyre looking a bit flat. As I accelerated out to let him know, the tyre began shredding in earnest!

Quite a mess...

By this time the sun was getting low and casting some pretty neat shadows of my chopper on the roadside, so out with the camera again and click, click, click. Bit of a challenge dodging the shadows thrown across the road by trees. Still, I did get some nice shots...

Once at Dave's we checked out his CB750 chop. Came from VMax in Qld with 12 over forks. To get it through Regency, Dave has had to do some jobs on it including sliding the forks 6" up through the triple trees plus some tidy up work...

We treated to a lovely evening meal and then warned of lots of roos about, got ready to head home. I led out the drive way... well I thought I did. Part way up the road and still no Terry. U turn her back into their place to find them inspecting his rear taillight. Actually, Leah was doing the work, the other two were looking on!

I should mention at this point that Leah is a rev head from young, as was her father before her and had her GT V8 Falcon at the swap meet by her stall. She is a confirmed Ford girl and has a few very nice vehicles. We found it was a loose globe holder, squeezed it up a bit with a pliers and got back on the road...

By the way, she needs a pre 90's daily driver in 10 days as her GT is on seasonal reg. She'll pay a couple of grand and doesn't want a modern vehicle... only needs it for 3-6 months. Anyone out there help out?

Terry agreed that a cruise up the main street of Mt Gambier would top off the night. But first stock up at the Super market...

The ride home was interesting. We decided to sit on 80 because of the roo problem, but only smelt a couple dead ones.

What was a bit of a challenge was that a storm was forecast for for Naracoorte between 9pm and midnight. We rode most of the way with a massive display of lightening directly ahead and to our right. We expected heavy rain at any time and I was a bit concerned for Terry who had no water proof trousers, so I asked my Mate up there in control of these things to make it bypass us.

We arrived dry to a very wet Naracoorte. In fact the night was only cool rather than cold with quite a few warm patches. As we rode in the rain came down again.

We were all snug and dry in our stables and got up at 7am. Breakfast and pack up, and down came the rain again. What to do about Terry? I whipped up to the supermarket which I was surprised was open and grabbed a pack of garbags and roll of duct tape to make some leggings for Terry.

We headed out the gateway to the servo to fuel up in light rain. The moon man...

Water proof, but tough relieving oneself...

There was lots of rain about, but once out of Naracoorte it avoided us for the whole trip. A number of time we we slowed down to 40k by roadworks and long lines of crawling cars.

We pulled into Keith past a camera car in the 80 zone and a highway patrol pulled up across the road. He didn't bother us and us two chopper riders breathed a sigh of relief...

Pete took off ahead of us as he had been caught behind slow moving traffic a couple of times. We figured we'd catch up fairly quickly.

However it was not to be. I was well ahead of Terry and Kevin well and truly in the groove, and checking my mirrors saw I was alone. Oh oh! U turn and a few miles back see Kevin pulled up and around the curve, Terry pulling off his load. It turned out that a screw had come off his ignition switch so he was without power. I carry a spare switch and this is the second time I have come to someone's rescue. My spare switch now needs two screws!

We motored along at the speed limit and often above, passing cars... quite a blast actually. Pete had beaten us to Coonalpyn. Here we had a bit of a break and a bite to eat...

Group shot. My camera stayed on the post just long enough to take the pic and then was blown off by the wind.

Bit of a funny story here. Pete commented on the side wind. Kevin agreed it was pretty bad and he ws blown aroudn a lot on his Sporty. Terry had noticed it and I just said "What wind". The longer the wheel base and the trail, the less you are affected by side winds...

More of the same highway riding, seeing rain in the distance, sometime riding through wet patches but always staying dry.

I turned off and left the blokes at Mt Barker. Hankering for some small country track riding, I turned up a side road (Wicks Rd)on the Kangarilla side of Meadows and puttered along at 40-60k...

Ended up on Range Road behind McLaren Flat and then finally turned down Kings Hill Rd to home...

Put my camera on my helmet for this shot, but it was too low to show the glorious view over the gulf...

Definitely not worth the effort for purchases only, but definitely a refreshing couple of days away from the real world.

So just because winter is coming, don't hang up your helmets, fellas, get out on those bikes and boogie...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Re: SA 2016, Naracoorte ride and swap meet...

Post by El Skitzo » Mon May 02, 2016 1:04 pm

Great pics!!
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon May 02, 2016 3:48 pm

Thanks mate. Takes some effort but worth it. Love to see some photos from all you other chopper riders out there.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon May 02, 2016 5:06 pm

Great stuff. Good on you guys for getting out in the colder climate.
Sleeping in the stable looked like a cool idea. Soft ground, and shelter.
Thanks for the pics of the cars , too.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Wed May 04, 2016 10:13 pm

8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

DaveB
Interests: Cars and bikes. Old ones, from when they were made from steel.
The kids are old enough to be a pillion passenger now so it's time to get back onto a bike.

Post by DaveB » Sat May 07, 2016 4:01 pm

Here's one more road trip shot, on the road from Naracoorte back to Mt Gambier. My son Matthew in the passenger seat doing the photography work.

It was great to catch up with you all and has given me a bit of a renewed enthusiasm to finish the 750 and get out on the road.

Prof

Post by Prof » Sun May 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Thanks Dave. Congratulate Matt on his fine photography.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Mon May 09, 2016 8:00 pm

Nice

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”