Ride to St Albans (Sydney)

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
tigerbob

Ride to St Albans (Sydney)

Post by tigerbob » Wed May 11, 2016 9:38 pm

On Saturday, my girlfriend was keen to go for a ride (OK, so was I) on her postie bike and we knew that a group of riders from Sydney Cafe Racers (the good folk who bring you the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride) would be doing a "5 ferries ride". This is where they ride north of Sydney taking in 5 ferry crossings in the Hunter (or there abouts).

We caught the group before 9am just as they were crossing on the Berowra ferry. The ferry was completely filled with bikes but since I needed to pee (rather urgently - it was a cold morning) I took off ahead to find a spot to do that and wait with camera in hand.

They were soon roaring past but were a bit difficult to photograph at speed due to the low light (and my inferior camera/skill).

Bikes leaving Berowra

This is my girlfriend on her postie

We caught up with the tail end of the group even though I assured my better half that she was never going to catch anyone on her 'scooter'. I could see she was even keen to pass some of the bikes but just didn't have the power or experience to pass them.

I would go ahead at times, then turn around and meet up with the group again.

My partner & I decided to go ahead across Wiseman's Ferry to St Albans while the 20 or so others waited for the main group to get there as they had gone a longer route across another ferry. The lead bikes had left us we got stuck behind a slow moving horse float for many miles of double white lines and the corner marker had obviously given up waiting.

Lunch was supposed to be at the Settlers Arms (no, not the one at Ingle Farm) a pub that was built at the time Col. Light was laying out Adelaide in 1836.

My partner and I got to St Albans by 11am and settled in for beer, coffee and steak while we waited for the other bikes to arrive.

The Settler's Arms - St Albans NSW

We met this postie from Sydney who was very happy to discuss the virtues of the Honda CT110, complete with the original postie bags, racks etc. He was riding a modded Duc Monster. I, of course, was on the Dyna.

My girlfriend bought a pumpkin (as you do...) from a local grower who had parked his ute full of pumpkins across from the pub. Luckily I had my saddle bags on so I was able to cart it home.

The pumpkin was heavy enough to tip the postie over when she left it on the rear rack. Dyna to the rescue...

I also photographed an Indian that was parked out front next to the 'buckboard' that is always there.

We then decided to walk over to the single lane bridge that we cross to get in to St Albans to catch the bikes that would be arriving.

Just as we were about ready to give up waiting, the corner marker arrived.

Then, after another long wait, I heard the first bike arriving. It had the distinctive Ducati Bevel sound but it was coming from behind me. I thought this couldn't be true as it is a dirt road. Turns out it was...

Luckily, the rest of the bikes came across the bridge.

I followed this girl on the SR for some distance. The bike appeared to have very firm suspension and looked a handful on the bumps & corners, especially with those retro Firestones...

This route is popular with the pedal cyclists as well...

I don't know if this is an original green frame but it's certainly a bike that I'd think twice about riding down miles of corrigated dirt road. He paid the price by picking up a couple inches of rusty fencing wire in the rear tyre. The puncture was fixed but it apparently failed after 10 mins of riding and the Duc had to spend the night under a horse blanket next to a milking shed.

This is most of the group out front of the pub - a collection of many Hinkley triumphs, cafe'd jappers (both classic & contemporary) and the odd exotic

The closest thing to a chopper was this sporty - who didn't hang around for too long (maybe the line to the bar put him off). This is him leaving.

We headed off shortly afterwards satisfied with our fill of food and drink as the line up to the small bar stretched out through the door, down the path to the front fence... 8)

We arrived home before 3pm after a satisfying (although slow) day in the saddle :lol:
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

Butcher

Re: Ride to St Albans (Sydney)

Post by Butcher » Thu May 12, 2016 7:25 pm

Nice shots n interesting story .... thanks

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Thu May 12, 2016 8:12 pm

Cool stuff, mate. What a great selection of bikes.!! Jap, Brit, Yankie, awesome mix of mechanical excellence. Nice write up, too.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri May 13, 2016 10:18 am

Enjoyed the story and pics. Hats off to your girlfriend. May there be more like her in the chopper scene. Thanks for the write up.

Looking forwards to your next jaunt. Maybe a few choppers will be in the mix.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Fri May 13, 2016 2:19 pm

I just wrote a long response that just 'evaporated' when I clicked submit... :?

So, to sum up:

Thanks guys - it's been a bit of a while since I had the box brownie out (it's been giving me trouble).

The next outing will be Throttle Roll in Enmore (Sydney) on June 12th

Here's a link to what I posted in 2014:

http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... =47&t=7832

Stay tuned - cheers!
'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Sun May 15, 2016 8:01 pm

searched throttle roll for the June 12 2016 info ...... not having much luck ??? last info was for "sunday slide " April 26 ..... dunno what's going on here

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Tue May 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Hey Jackson, try http://event.throttleroll.com/

It's held at the Vic on the Park hotel in Enmore (Sydney)

I see there's a ticket section which is new - it's always been a free event so I don't know what that's about (there's no tickets available yet).

Looks like they're closing the street this year which is not surprising although that is the best part of the show I reckon - seeing all the bikes parked in the surrounding streets and watching them ride past. Lots of great photo opportunities!

It will be interesting to see the layout this year but I fear that, for me at least, this could become a victim of it's own popularity.

Are you in Sydney Jackson?
'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Tue May 17, 2016 6:43 pm

Yep, in Sydney

Reckon yer right about being too popular ... closing off the street, selling tickets ...

clicked on the link, don't know the area but seems it is being held in Marrickville

This 'd be hipster event wouldn't it ?

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Wed May 18, 2016 2:40 pm

Yep, it's in Enmore - not too far from Marrickville so it's inner west and totally hipster.

Here's an early article about the Sydney Cafe Racers (who put on the event) from a couple of years ago.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/yo ... 6910466914

There's a mix of people and some amazing bikes but then there's also a large amount of (mostly younger) people getting in on a trend or just postulating (IMO) but this happens within any group. I also think that many of the followers will shave their beards when they are no longer fashionable.

I believe the success of the group is due to the younger demographic being tech savy and working in IT/promotion/photography etc. They are artistic and know how to promote themselves. There are also some guys who know about bikes and how to modify & ride them. They are very proactive as you can tell from the event they put on and the sponsors they attract.

They try to enforce a strict code of what is acceptable bike-wise but the lines are very blurred. They tend to rubbish Harleys and cruisers yet think "bobbers" (or the contemporary versions - yuk) are cool. Sportsers and choppers are acceptable, however. There have been a few more Harley appreciators come out of the closet on their facebook page recently though.

As always, I tend to stand on the outside looking in, especially as I get older - but I know a few of the guys.

Having said all this, it's still something I am keen to check out. As mentioned earlier, there's always an awesome display of bikes that attend. Just hanging out in the street and watching choppers, classics, customs and vintage bikes of all breeds come & go with a real electric feel in the air.

BTW, I'm on the north fringe of Sydney (just near where the riding starts getting good) - what part are you in Jackson?

PS, once again after writing a response, the page dissappears and goes back to the log-in screen when I click "submit" - why is this happening?
'94 Dyna Convertible
'71 T140v Bonneville

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed May 18, 2016 5:33 pm

tigerbob wrote:
There's a mix of people and some amazing bikes but then there's also a large amount of (mostly younger) people getting in on a trend or just postulating (IMO) but this happens within any group. I also think that many of the followers will shave their beards when they are no longer fashionable.
What a pearler of a comment...... so true in many respects. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”