Hectic Saturday...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Hectic Saturday...

Post by Prof » Sun May 15, 2016 3:02 pm

There IS a ride later in this story...

Day begins at The Chopper Shed after a week of no internet and only knowing of two guys coming up to work and another to visit. As it turns out I end up with quite a few more!

Terry rolls up to do a couple of jobs on his newly painted xs chopper. It's a trial job he tells us, just to see what it will look like when done properly. So first in first served; we weld a gusset onto his side stand after straightening it a bit; the bike has developed too much of a lean. Then modify his kick start lever so it folds in to almost touch the carby (forgot to take a pic)...

Jett rolls in as arranged to do final touches to his chopper frame before we sand blast it...

Jon comes up ( I thought to visit; lack of communication due to my internet) for me to build brake and accelerator levers on his newly purchased go cart (see Naracourte trip on this forum). You can see the go cart in the bottom left corner. As it turns out, I have Tim booked in to build a battery box, so Jon has to wait. We finally finish Jon's job after dark!

Brian comes up by 4WD due to a bad back (xs chop languishing in his shed) and Paul and he rebuild the drivers seat...

Oscar has also been in the workshop with a mate building the pipe work for twin turbos on his XF ute.

I miss getting a pic of Tim's battery box.

Here's the happy bunch (though they do complain about having their picture took!..

To say I was thoroughly stuffed after this exercise is an understatement. So after a quick tea, Rilda and I put our feet up and watch a DVD Jett has recently purchased and loaned me today. It's called "21 Days Under the Sky" and features REAL choppers on a coast to coast run across the US. Fantastic road trip footage. Definitely recommended, though as usual I want to see more bikes and less talking! http://21daysunderthesky.com/

I've been wanting to do a similar movie since before I started CA. One day maybe. Jett and I reckon we can come up with something pretty good.

In SA we have or will soon have Jett (KZ springer chop), Brian XS650 chop, Terry XS650 chop, Jon Sporty chop, Victor Shovel chop, Rayne Pan chop, me and my shovel plus someone on Paul's CB550 chop and all keen for an outback camping road trip.

Here's a screen shot...

I've been stuck in the workshop for a week with only a few 10 minute rides getting bits, so after today need to clear out the cobwebs.

Around ten pm I fire up the shovel and go for a cruise. Don't know how far or where, but by the end of our road, decide to head towards Mt Compass and ride to Victor Harbour or Normanville. By the time I'm rolling through Pages Flat, it's going to be Victor. Air is surprisingly mild and I realise I am over dressed, but not too uncomfortable.

Slowly settle into the groove, no traffic, fresh air in my face, Harley rumbling beneath me, just ambling along at 90-100k, sweeping through the curves. Half moon is high and behind me throwing a ghostly light over the trees and fields...

I consider dropping in on Rick in Mt Compass to see if he wants to join in, but it is late, and I really don't mind being a loner tonight, so I just keeping rolling along through the night.

There is a point on the route where you begin a long decent into Victor. At that point there is a road off to the left called Crows Nest Road. Provides a beaut view over the Murray Mouth. Yep that's the way I'll go. Swing off and just chug along at 60 or 70 k's. Trees arch over the road and look better than in this photo, but you get the idea...

Looking South East from the lookout, lights around Lake Alexandrina in the distance. I never tire of looking of my faithful old girl. Sorry if you do!...

Crows Nest Road drops steeply into Pt Elliot. Moon is now over my right shoulder and lower in the sky, but still lighting up the paddocks, trees and fences to each side of me.

Pt Elliot is dead as a doornail. Surprising for a Saturday night. A bloke and his girl are walking their dog and he gives a broad grin as I putter past. Obviously likes choppers...

As I pull up to the servo on outskirts of Victor (fuel a bit low) two young guys drive past and the driver just about breaks his neck twisting it around to see this old traditional chopper in this modern time. As I said, I never tire of looking at my chopper. Love the lines and stance, just a springer on the front to complete the job...

I wander into the town centre. Amazingly, just as dead as Pt Elliot! So I take off up to the Ring Road and then turn right towards the Willunga road. Coming up to the intersection I am just about blinded by dozens of construction posts. Talk about confusing, but I follow the car in front and get through! Swing left and open the old girl up. Great sound! Left turn to Myponga. This is a quiet road, rough but interesting. Smell the smoke of a number of home fires as I cruise along, then the distinctive smells of a dairy. Temperature is still really mild and the moon now getting low off to my left. Looks pretty neat as it silhouettes the road side trees.

I open the shovel up again once I swing onto the Myponga-Sellicks road and roar through the curves dropping towards the sea, the moon casting a long reflection across the water.

Roll off the main road and swing down into Sellicks Beach. Water probably too high to ride along the beach, but I'll have a look anyway. It is but I pull up on the concrete ramp, almost coming to grief as the front wheel slides on pebbles and almost slips out from under me, a bit too close to the waves washing in for comfort. Manage to save it though and get her on the stand.

Take half a dozen pics. Automatic camera and no stand don't make for flashy photography, but I like the results anyway..

Photography done, I leave off my gloves, tuck Basil under my arm and enjoy a great ride via secondary roads finally cutting across the main street of Willunga and back home via our back road.

Well that was just what I needed. Ready to face another week. Will sleep well tonight. Thanks for reading.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

jsalt

Re: Hectic Saturday...

Post by jsalt » Sun May 15, 2016 3:26 pm

It was a good day catching up with what's happening down at shed. I didn't mind waiting for your help gives me time to look at other bikes in shed. Ideas on what / how to do stuff better.It is good to go down their and just do what needs to be down to build the pedals. I was in no hurry, girls at a show . I was gona go out on the bike when I got home, Andrew you almost got a call.
Jon
Last edited by jsalt on Sun May 15, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hear voices and they have some good ideas!

Prof

Post by Prof » Sun May 15, 2016 4:23 pm

Ok Jon. We'd better keep in touch. Give me a call any night you want to go for a cruise.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Sun May 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Nice pics Prof .... one of my interests as well, but you make feel slack (and rightly so) I don't get the camera out as much anymore. I just miss the silver .............

Prof

Post by Prof » Sun May 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Taking lots of photos on rides can be a bother, but if we don't take them everyone misses out on the inspiration they give... imagine the result (or lack of) if Fonda and Hopper didn't take the effort to make "EasyRider".

I've always carried my camera wherever I've ridden. Began with a big old box camera (still have it) then a little Brownie Instamatic (remember the flash cubes) and then a Mamiya SLR in 1972. That was one heck of a camera, tough, got bounced around on the spokes for 15 miles one night!

And roll film, really costly and would have to go to the chemist for him to send off to the processors... 10 days or more to get back. Then interstate companies you'd post your rolls to and order a variety of photo options plus your next lot of film.

We don't know how good we've got it now, though I find the slight delay of the digital camera a pain... and too many settings and too hard to set quickly... but sure great to see the results instantly and post them on places like this.

Anyway all you chopper enthusiasts out there, get out your cameras and get some great chopper pics for us to enjoy.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

jsalt

Post by jsalt » Mon May 16, 2016 6:38 pm

Here are some phones of the go kart pedals/ forward controls
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I hear voices and they have some good ideas!

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”