SAMay 2016... Kapunda Overnighter...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

SAMay 2016... Kapunda Overnighter...

Post by Prof » Sun May 22, 2016 10:30 pm

This weekend Kevin orgnanised a ride up to Kapunda, the aim being to head up on Saturday, camp the night in the caravan park, drop into the Swap Meet in Sunday morning and then start out for home around 11am.

Kevin on his Sporty and Jon on his Sporty chopper met Terry on his XS650 chopper on the north side of the city and then picked up with Rob from Gawler on his Softtail and ambled through to Kapunda. They tell me the weather was perfect though a bit windy once into the country.

I had work to catch up on at home and in the workshop, so set up on my trusty 81 shovel at 4pm. I had to go through the city to drop of some parts to a customer.

Weather for me was also perfect, but traffic was very heavy, so I got to pass lots of cars lined up at lights!

I stopped off at the Smithfield servo for fuel and grabbed some victuals from my pannier. Took few interesting pics in the process...

The sun was setting as I left Smithfield and a full moon was quietly sneaking up into the sky as I hit the Kapunda road just out of Gawler...

Guys as promised had a fire going when I arrived...

Bit of a pain setting up my camp in the dark. My Headlight torch had new batteries a couple of weeks ago and must have accidentally switched on the my bag, cos it was dimmer than a candle. Thankfully, Kevin rescued me with his torch...

Some lively discussions ensued around the campfire for the next four hours. Our ideas on some subjects are quite divergent, but all being good mates are able to enjoy a good discussion without getting offended.

We all got up at first light and I packed my gear so I could get an early place in the swap meet queue...

The others enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. Here's Jon enjoying himself...

While I was waiting in the queue a couple of blokes got into conversation. John has just finished building a chopper out of an iron head sporty; rigid frame, springer front end etc) Showed me a photo. Cool little bike. Just received his emailed pics...

I picked up a few things at the swap meet, nothing of much consequence aside from a 4" engineers vice, which Rob put in his ute (he came back up mid morning).

The guys got a bit impatient with me and the time I took, but it is for my business, so I need to make the most of it.

I was starving at this point. but Kevin was keen to beat the rain that was forcast, so I grabbed a sugar fix to eat while I rode.

Wind was quite strong and dust was being whipped up and blowing into our eyes and and generally restricting vision. Doesn't really show up in these photos, but hopefully you get a bit of an idea...

Jons high hand position acted like a sail and he dropped back a bit, so I stuck with him...

Good shot of Terry...

Kevin was way ahead of us and was waiting at the turnoff onto the Tarlee road. Rob was follwoing us in his ute and as he lives in Gawler we said our goodbyes...

Traffic light red again!..

And again...!

Kevin and Jon forged ahead as it began to rain just through Elizabeth as Terry and I were planning to turn off and visit Brian. I figured it was a good time to stop and put on our waterproofs...

Rain petered out soon after, but the roads were quite wet. Another red light...

Had a good time at Brians at Teatree Gully and then motored on into the city in light rain that again lasted on 5 minutes. As I swung onto Grand Junction Road, a motorcycle cop was stopped at the opposing light. I gave him the nod as I went across (fellow motorcyclist braving inclement weather) and he waved back. Nice feeling. He must be a good guy. Hope I meet him some time.

I dropped by Victor on the south side of the city to check out a hotrod truck he is building, but he was out so kept on bikin'.

Once again traffic was thick, but weather was fine, until I hit Old Noarlunga and it came down in earnest. Tried to get some shots of the water pouring off the front wheel, but didn't realise my big boot was in the way!!! Not sure what cage drivers around me thought of a mad motorcyclist holding his arm out to the side with a camera!...

Still rainng as I pulled into my workshop. The shovel is now drip drying!

Was a good time away and interesting riding , beautiful still and mild weather, strong wind and dust and heavy rain. No chance to get bored, but I'd better spend some time in the next few days cleaning my faithful ride that, once again did not miss a beat.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”