June, 2016 SA ride to Sedan...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

June, 2016 SA ride to Sedan...

Post by Prof » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Three of us were able to do the Saturday overnighter to Sedan. Another six or so arranged to meet us on our way home via Murray Bridge the following afternoon.

Being June, the weather could throw anything at us, so leading up to weekend, the weather forecasts were watched carefully. Light showers on Saturday and a fine Sunday were promised. I decided to take my full tent rather than my bike lean-to. It also would be cold riding and sleeping, so I made sure I had an extra blanket to chuck over my sleeping bag.

I had to spend Friday and Saturday morning in the city on family matters, so serviced and packed the chopper on Thursday.

Saturday's appointments took a bit longer than allowed for, so I had 15 minutes on arrival home to get changed grab cameras, phones and things, roll out he shovel and hit the starter! I had agreed to meet Terry and Rob at Mt Pleasant an hour and a quarter away.

With all the rush, it took quite a few miles to get into the groove, but that finally happened and by Hahndorf I was able to relax back into the saddle rest against my sleeping bag and enjoy the ride.

There was a lot of traffic from Meadows on and quite a bit of passing especially a slighlty unconventional one of a semi which was trailed by a gaggle of four wheelers. Not sure why, but there were a lot of Sunday drivers on this Saturday including one car travelling at 50 k in a 100k zone that kept me crawling from Charleston and to Mt Torrens... and another unconventional fly by!

Temperature wasn't too bad ( I only wear an open face), but dropped at least three degrees around Charleston brrrr!!

Anyway, finally rolled into Mt Pleasant to find a familiar green chopper and a blue HD parked across from the pub. I need not have hurried as Terry and Rob were only part way through their drinks...

I noticed that an antique shop that I had often wanted to call in on was open. On my suggestion the others accompanied me into the store or should I say rabbit warren. Mostly we had to sidle sideways down the narrow paths between magnificent furniture, bric-a-brac and some fantastic oddments. I picked up a DVD and then we mounted our steeds for the final half hour run to Sedan via Cambrai.... and got 400M. As I followed Rob through the right hand turn off to Sedan, I was surprised by the very odd shape of his rear tyre; erhh like it was flat on the bottom.

Before we took off, Rob had been complaining of shocking handling since he'd loaded up his bike for the trip... first one on this bike!

Well it was all clear in an instant, a slow leak that had had ample opportunity to go down further while the boys were in the pub waiting for me.

A u turn brought us back into town and a servo/mechanic on the left.

I got Rob to wheel his bike forwards and after a quarter of a rotation there was a pesky little gyprock screw buried in his tread (see arrow)...

The mechanic directed operations; 1. pump up tyre and screw out the self tapper, 2. Open the kit Rob had chucked in his pannier, 3. Wipe glue (provided) over the reamer and work it back and forth in the hole, 3. Lubricate the the full length of plug and push it into the hole, 4. Twist and remove the inserting tool, 5. Cut off the plug poking out of the tyre.6. Shut pannier, start bike and ride off into the sunset!

Well, we rode away from the sunset... and some great riding it was; especially through the hills. I just love those rocky outcrops, real John Wayne country. Rob in his HD something or other...

Terry motoring and in the mood...

Great roads and great riding...

We rolled into the Sedan oval (and swap meet), paid our three dollars each and found a secluded spot by the boundary fence. First step was setting up our tents and sleeping gear. Then while the two blokes hunted wood and got a fire going, I went exploring the swap meet attendees looking for a couple of mates, who I found out later came in just after I got back to our camp...

No substantial wood was available, so Terry and I took off on our choppers to collect a couple of promised logs out by the road... and towed them back . They d on't call it a Harley Fergusson for nothing!...

The evening was surprisingly mild, so tea by our fire was very pleasant. Later, we wandered off to a massive fire where 30 or so folks were in animated discussions eating pies and slaking their thirsts. I left after a while and hopped into my cosy bed.

For those readers who haven't done any winter camping; a few tips. As much cold comes up from the earth as form the air around you. Unlike a foam mattress, an air mattress allows extra cold from the air to come in under you. Whether I use a foam or air mattress, I lay a piece of canvas under my mattress. This weekend I used my air mattress, so carried an extra synthetic blanket which I lay on top of the air mattress to insulate me form the cold.

Mornings are the coldest part of the night, so I keep my socks and under garments in the sleeping bag with me, so they are nice and warm to put on in the morning. I put my jeans under my pillow which also keeps them just that bit warmer. Similar principles apply to a swag which has its own mattress and has canvass directly on the ground.

Why don't I use a swag? I don't like a big wide lump making my slim chopper look like a barge. I like to have space to move and store my gear... especially when on the road for a week or more. I have a home made lean to that I often use that with a canvas mat and 1" foam is less bulky.

If it looks like rain, dig a trench around your swag or tent to run the water away. It's a pain waking up with half an inch of water swishing around the tent floor and soaking everything it can.

Morning came very cold and foggy. My chopper is always covered at night... I don't like sitting on a wet seat...

Leaving Rob to his dreams, Terry and I rode our bikes into the swap meet arena and set them up alongside a Harley T shirts store. Most of the dozen brochures I put out were taken over the next couple of hours...

A lot of stalls but not much bike gear. This 72 Sporty roller was for sale for $1500. Didn't sell, but a worthwhile chopper project with a rake of at least 5 degrees and 4" over forks...

VG pacer...

29 Chev with Holden grey motor, driven over from Victoria; with the air vents sealed shut and a pipe into the cabin fromnear the exhausts!

Z1 for $4000. Didn't sell...

I'd finished my rounds by 11.30am and after packing up (including about 20kg of stainless offcuts) we cruised into the township and Terry topped up...

Terry is discovering that part and parcel of owning a traditional chopper is the attention it gets. Where ever you seem to stop, you get people coming up and telling you their chopper history or just want to admire your chopper. This guy is in the market for an xs650 and picked our brains...

We wandered around some of the streets before leaving town. Some solid old stone buildings including a big old two story pub with stables and in another street an old flour mill.

Then out on the highway, the road stretching out to he distance with some nice curves every so often...

We arranged with Kevin to meet his bunch at one of our member's places south of Palmer. We arrived there about 2.30 pm and were greeted with hot coffee and a roaring slow combustion fire. Some of the bikes... with choppers unfortunately thin on the ground...

After an hour there, it was back on the highway for the short run into Murray Bridge. We how had a line up of 9 roaring bikes... quite a sight.

After fuelling up, we drop in on another chopper enthusiast with a 900 Yam shaftie.

More beverages and off we go again. Its now a steady run to Adelaide along the freeway and our line stretches our as each settles into their comfort zone.

Riders peel off to head to their respective homes.

I leave Kevin and Rob at Reynella and enjoy my final solo cruise in minimal traffic to home. The weather today has been very cold with patches of damp roads, but no rain, so pleasant riding really.

I run the shovel into the workshop and unload my gear including my meagre purchases...

Tomorrow I will air out the tent, mattress and blankets, then pack them away in anticipation of my next camping ride... Gosh. Looking forwards to it already...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

eddiehob

Re: June, 2016 SA ride to Sedan...

Post by eddiehob » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:38 am

nice photos and a good read.

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”