Gerry ride #2 Broken DNA springer...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Gerry ride #2 Broken DNA springer...

Post by Prof » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:28 am

Finally got my visit to Darwin, a little sight-seeing a couple of photo’s...

A visit to Litchfield National Park was to be my undoing, I got to see one waterfall and headed out. There were some roadworks and the speed limit dropped to 40K’s... a blessing in disguise, as the rear leg of my springer broke up against the lower triple tree!

Nursing this along at about 5-6 kph to a service station 2 k’s, the wobble was hard to control. I was not a happy camper....

It looked for a while I was going to have to sleep beside the bike again.
But after a couple of phone calls, eventually my brother borrowed a trailer dragged it down to Batcherlor and picked us up. A tweeker was wandering looking for a pipe and he helped to push the bike onto the trailer (I really didn’t want Len to come down as he is not well).
We arrived back in Katherine at 3am...

Len knows a few people here and we have been able to organise a welder We will deliver the bike in the morning, repairs to happen Tuesday, I will head south Wed/Thursday.

Just a small break, but ohh what a worry, I feel it is going to be a nervous ride south...

Both sides bracketed and welded...

Prof bringing you up to date...

The last couple of days we have followed up various options as Gerry is worried about riding the repaired springer to Adelaide. I could have had a new one sent up to him at Catherine... take about a week. He could ride down. He could have the chopper shipped back to Perth and put a new springer on there.

Decision at present is to leave the chopper with his brother in Katherine, bus back to Perth and chase up a Paughco or similar traditional styled springer from the US. Take it back to Katherine and finish his ride to Adelaide and back across the Nullabor. A Paughco springer will cost three times as much as the DNA, but he figures if he has to buy one, he might as well buy top quality and one he really likes.

Footnote... Gerry cleaned up a roo at 100kph a couple of years ago on this chopper and the wleder commented that the leg had been cracked part way through for some time, so we wonder if it was damaged then and has held out til now. If that is the case, these DNA springers are pretty good.

Also, Gerry has travelled a lot of k's on rough roads at high speeds on this trip. He's very appreciative that the springer finally gave way when he was only doing 40kph.

We'll let you know the final decision as soon as it is made.

Well the decision has been made. Gerry's purchased an attitude springer from Victoria and will install it when it arrives probably Wednesday.

Then he will head for Adelaide. All being well, I hope to ride to meet him up past Woomera and accompany him back to Willunga. Anyone else like to join me?..

Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof

Re: Gerry ride #2 Broken DNA springer...

Post by Prof » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:19 am

Gerry 's back on the road.

Attitude springer arrived from the East coast and was fitted up with no dramas. Steering lock is minimal. He had to do some cutting on the previous one, so we'll do that when he gets down here.

Gerry headed off yesterday morning into a strong head wind and camped last night at a free campsite 40 k north of Tennant Creek. The place was full with just one space left for him. Campers kept coming through after he'd set up and he felt like they thought HE should move out!

However one elderly lady took a liking to him and insisted on feeding him tea.

As I write this, he is taking of for Tennant Creek... maybe Alice tonight.

At this stage he should hit Coober Pedy around Tuesday, but will keep us informed.

I'll be taking two days off from the workshop to meet him between Woomera and Coober Pedy.

Anyone wanting to come let me know. I'll camping out on the night I meet him.

He's promised to let me know progress each night so come back for more info...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof

Post by Prof » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Gerry has arrived at Prof's. I rode up to meet him, through some rain and very cold. Only got as far as ten miles past Pt Augusta as he didn't give me much warning. I'd wanted to get up to Coober Pedy, so another time soon. Great ride back through Horrock's Pass, Gladstone Clare etc.

His chopper is pulled apart to do mods which I'll show on The Chopper Shed forum when I get some time in the next day or so. Gerry and I took a lot of photos of our rides and I'll get them up here with commentary soon also.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:07 pm

Katherine to Alice...

The day after I got my new VPW springer on I left my brother at Katherine and rode towards Alice Springs and Adelaide. Smooth going and good weather.

At Daly Waters...

Met this guy first night out, about 40 Kays before Tennant Creek. He was a really interesting bloke; raced as part of the Australian team at Isle Of Man. Told me lots of history. Biult the truck with workshop and motorbike on the back and also the van with lots of extended sections. His wife insisted on fattening me up with good food, sweets and cake... as if I really needed it!..

Three Ways, world famous meeting place. I first went to Tennant Creek in '68/69 and the first thing we did was go to Three Ways and drink beer for half the night... great place. This second time around was a bit nostalgic , but not the same. Brick building now istead of a tin humpy. Signs now telling you how to dress, when back then would still get served if only wearing a pair of under pants...

Devils marbles...

Barra Creek. Had a lot of parties there too. I worked in a mine 130 miles of dirt track of the highway. Coming back in we generally only made it to Bara Creek!..

Fuel price...

Open speed just past Barra Creek...

Going up...

That night camped at a free camp 40 k's out of Alice Springs. Really enjoyed it. Had good neighbours. Lots of coffee and sandwiches. I got so coffee'd out I could hardly move...

Alice. Not too happy about this place. Took a while before I could find someone who would let me charge my phone. These Jaycar folks were good souls so I bought some things off them, that I didn't really need in thanks.

A view from Anzac Hill. When I was there in '68, some of the guys knew some of the local girls and we went swimming in the town supply... quietly of course...

Little 1930's 2CV Citroens. There were about twenty travelling together. Great bunch of guys; part of some rally...

More soon; a great time at Coober Pedy and rough weather after that, then meeting Prof at Pt Augusta...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:44 pm

To Pt Augusta...

Weather was still good when I left the Alice around lunch time. Steady riding; doing what I normally do... just looking around and enjoying myself...
Camped at Stuart's Well that night...

Next fuel stop was Kulgera...

Reminder of the old days...

This lady rolled in just after me. Had a good chat... interesting lady. Then she took off well ahead of me to to back to work at Marla. I caught up with her at Marla later and she said she'd sat on 180 most of the way...

Nothing at the border but this fancy double sided sign. Guess what is on the other side...

Pulled into Kadney Homestead just as a couple of bikers on adventure bikes were about to leave. We talked briefly. One reckoned he got the last drop of fuel and I suggested it was probably water... He hoped not! I enquired about fuel form the attendant and she was not the least bit interested. Talk about country hospitality...

The adventure blokes taking off...

Hit Coober Pedy late afternoon and found a backpackers. Here's where I went to find my room...

Wandered around outside. Great garden! Sign got me...

A college friend of Prof's wife Rilda met me next morning while I was taking photos and gave me a guided tour. Servian underground church...

Nice stone work on this church...

Black pipes poking up through the earth are vent pipes, one per room...

Another underground church...

Interesting shot of vents hollowed out to the surface...

View above ground...

Ally's place..

Children's room is through the access behind the double bed. They love it apparently...

Outside Ally and George's home...

Some Mad Max memorabilia...

After lunch I again hit the road on my trusty Triumph chopper. It was cooling down and some rain was hanging around.

Within a short time I was battling heavy winds and patches heavy rain.

I refuelled at Glendambo. I pulled into the first roadhouse (Shell) and the guy was quite morose and uninterested. He started packing up chairs around me while I was still eating! More country hospitality ... I thought it was the height of ignorance.

The rain was now steady and heavy, but I decided to just push on to Pimba and Pt Augusta as quick as I could.

I squelched into Pimba around 4.30. I was thoroughly soaked. Somewhere along the way the bike had shed its left footpeg mount and footpeg, but the muffler which was attached to it was still there!

Pimba was a place I could not believe. The proprietor at the fuel stop cracked the sh.ts big time when I parked the chopper under his veranda and was not too interested in serving me. He did not want to give me a room, at which point I began to crack the sh.ts at him! He finally gave me a key to a room. I went straight in to have a shower and get into some dry clothes. When I walked out of the shower area (on freezing cold tiles) my feet squelched on the sodden carpet... the whole room's carpet was soaked.

I complained to the attendant. He wanted to give me my money back and send me to Woomera six kays in the wrong direction... in the rain again. He then complained that I'd used the shower and "The room will now have to be cleaned." He finally gave me a key to the room next door which at least had a dry floor.

At this point in time, I wasn't going to chance his food, so I cooked up a tin of noodles out of my bag!

Next morning the staff had changed and were much different to the night before, so I relented and had a $9.00 bacon and egg breakfast.

The weather was dry so I got packed up and I hit the road around 9am.

I had arranged to meet up with Prof, so sent him a text to say I was on my way.

Next: Prof heads up to meet Gerry...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:03 pm

Holy crap........can't believe the hostility you been getting, Gerry. I've been to Alice, and along the way, everyone was polite and decent country folk. We were in a car, but, still, sounds like attitudes have changed. Glad the Trumpy is running good, top photos and storyline. Cheers.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:08 pm

Geez, that guy at Glendambo must have been rude to make you want to push on to Pimba in that weather!

Must be something about country roads and wet weather that makes Triumphs lose their left rear footpegs. The same thing happened to me on my '73 Tiger trying to race a thunderstorm between Gunning and Canberra - I lost the footpeg but somehow the muffler stayed on. We didn't even get out of Gunning before the weather caught us and followed us all the way to Canberra... At least it was only about 70km.

Hope the rest of the way is a little more friendly!
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:08 am

Gerry's Triumph now has new footpeg mounts, so hopefully no more troubles. Spent a bit of a frustrating day sorting out birds nests of wiring due to a number of electricians adding then removing then adding more stuff. Unbelievable how shoddy (disgusting actually) some of it has been and I've seen some rough work!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”