Willunga Swap and short ride Aug 2016...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Willunga Swap and short ride Aug 2016...

Post by Prof » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:46 pm

Willunga Swap Meet has sure come around quickly this year. Rain was forecast and a number of the CA guys probably stayed home as a result, but the weather turned out to be excellent.

Despite still getting over a flu, Victor came rode his 74 shovel chopper the night before and arrived just in time for a desert of Prof's renowned pancakes.

The alarm at 6am disturbed a sound sleep and and we were out of the house by 6.45...

Paul got out his shovel and CB550 and fired them up and we got them over to swap meet as well. Terry and his green XS rolled up a little later, so it was very gratifying to see our line up of classic choppers...

Victor was not buying, so I did a circuit of the meet. A lot less stalls than in past years, but I still managed to spend more money than normal on just a few items; narrow glide front end, some near new flying boots (mine are falling to bits) a helmet with built in visor that will make life a bit easier when riding in heavy rain. When I got back Victor was entertaining interested blokes and had been most of the time. I enjoyed a few good conversations and we got some interest in CA...

Victor then took off to catch up with a couple of hot rodders he knew and took a couple of photos of his mates chev...

... and a 13 thousand dollar stuffed lion...

Kevin rolled up on his Trumpy chopper and soon after we packed up. Some of the CA guys are joining in on a two day ride to the southeast the week after the October long weekend. This was discussed and notification will appear on this forum soon, as well as a planned CA overnighter to Terowie on the long weekend...

I took Paul's choppers home with Victor acting as my return chauffeur. Got a cool bit of movie footage off the back of his shovel. It was a real tight fit behind him, with high footpegs very reminiscent of the seventies classic choppers... revealing a lot of the chicks anatomy especially with mini skirts the rage in that era...

Kevin had to get home early, so took off and I led the other two home; well not directly... did a bit of sight seeing up on a no through road to the top of the range....

Lunch of fried eggs and Victor who was still not feeling too good, mounted his 74 and with a clatter of the open clutch and a click of the jockey shift rumbled off...

Terry was going the long way home, so I offered to join him as far as Meadows. He suggested I take him along a couple of back roads. But firstsome go juice from the Willunga servo. A couple of blokes were filling up their 4WD and were rapt in our choppers and the discussion went on for a good ten or so minutes, then fire up and roar off...

Range Road West and cool 19th century slate fence posts...

Across Victor Harbor Road and along Range Road. Great road and terrific views...

Then along Whickham's Hill Road which was a bit interesting as it was wet and the road rubble was just plain slosh in places and pretty slippery...

Then Wicks Road...

... and finally onto the main Kangarilla/Meadows drag. We conferred and decided a hot chocolate at the Meadows Cafe would be a good finish to an enjoyable day. Place was very busy and we sat with a couple who were HOG members on their way home from a HOG run. I think I earbashed them a bit too much on our antics in the 70's. Sorry if I did folks. A Harley each... and his was LOUD...

Time to part. Terry back to the northern suburbs and me enjoying a very leisurely 80kph cruise, thoroughly enjoying the rumble of my twisted straight outs and that motor response unique to the old shovelhead...

Another good day in the life of a dyed in the wool, one eyed, totally biased, classic chopper jockey...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”