Time out; Kuipto...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Time out; Kuipto...

Post by Prof » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:31 pm

Rayne called last week saying he needed some time out and was going to camp out overnight in Kuipto Forest. He'd just gotten his new S&S Pan chopper on the road a few days agao and this would be his longest run on it yet. Would I like to join in. I didn't need to think about it; just replied, "Drop by and pick me up on your way.

As it turned out, his side stand tab (bought new off the net) broke through the hole, so he needed something to get him by for the time being. I had the necessary parts in the workshop to set up a standard 80's HD side stand. He rolled up Saturday afternoon and we got to work setting up the stand which needed some mods to fit his home built forwards.

Didn't take me long to load up the shovel as I have canned food, water, travelling gear etc prepacked and off we rode... the two big twins barking out of their open pipes as we rumbled in to Willunga and pulled in to the servo to gas up.

As usual, the choppers attracted attention and we spent 10 minutes answering questions from a couple of guys in a four wheel drive who were absolutely overcome by the sight of a couple of classic 70's choppers. Seeing them being seriously ridden pretty much blue their minds as they had both had Big Twins in the past.

We finally prised ourselves away and blasted out of the servo, roared up the main street and hooked our machines through the curves of the Old Willunga Hill road... and don't knock the cornering capabilities of these choppers. They might not be quite as fast as a modern sports bike, but they are no slouches... and with their long wheel base. extra trail and low riding position, sure feel a lot safer through the twisties. Rayne is still getting to know his new machine, but slung her through the curves with growing confidence and enthusiasm...

We'd gotten away a bit later than we'd hoped, so the sun was getting pretty low as we swung off the main road at Ponders End. The gravel road was rather treacherous. The hard base meant the loose gravel was a bit like ball bearings and we had to be careful especially in the corners most of which are cambered the wrong way.

Back in the day, one could pull up and camp in the any of the forests. Now they are all fenced off. We wandered up a few dirt roads and finally gave up on our desire to sleep among the pines and headed out down a road I knew was bordered by scrub.

We eventually passed a likely access that at a pinch would let us through. Hard, but careful braking on the slick surface and a tight u turn brought us back and we worked out choppers through the space scraping shrubbery on one side and being careful to not catch a footpeg on a solid post on the other side.

Two hundred yards down a rough track unused for years to a small clearing and some flat grassy ground that is just what the doctor ordered...

First step after clearing away any sticks and stones it to set up camp. I am using my home built lean to which I improved just for this night. I'll make a few more mods having used the new configuration, But it is good; roomy but when packed up with a thin mattress fits my sissy bar nicely...

Rayne has a fully enclosed leanto set up, but is a bit frustrated as it is quite a bit smaller than mine...

Now this is living...

Next job is wood collection... and there's plenty about. Once we have a good coal bed, cans get opened, heated and gobbled up...

The beautifully mild night made sitting by the fire chatting about all sorts of things easy and it was 11pm before we hit the hay. I slept well, but Rayne got woken a few times. Aound 1am he was woken by trail bikes going back and forth along the road. I later found out is it was a couple of the lads who frequent our place coming looking for us!

Here's a still from a video clip I took of Rayne emerging into a new day. Was really funny watching his tent wobbling a shaking around until the face and then the body slowly emerged...

Stoke up the fire and enjoy a brekky of muesli and canned fruit while Rayne cooked up a pot of porridge...

Finally figured we'd better pack up. Half an hour from start to finish...

I got Rayne to start up and head off first while I got some video. A shot of him cranking over the 96 cube motor...

Riding past...

Reluctantly leaving a piece of typical Aussie scrub...

Rayne waited up the road a bit until I caught up and then we headed off, eventually hitting bitumen. We cruised Prospect Hill and down a nice straight stretch to...

The Meadows/Kuipto junction... and said our goodbyes... Rayne taking the Echunga route home to the city and me swinging back though Kangarilla to Willunga...

Rayne called later to say he'd enjoyed the perfect ride home. I just ambled along at 80 K leisurely sweeping through the downhill curves to Kangarilla. Once out of the town zone I opened the shovel up and roared past a number of cars before finally turning off to wander home via a number of dirt and sealed back roads...

Just getting away for one night and only travelling a short distance was something I have not done much of, but after this weekend will definitely do it more often. I can highly recommend it. So, fellas, get your gear out and hit the road. You might just have to persist in finding a way into a nice spot seeing as the nanny state is bent on preventing anyone from doing anything a bit different...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Ren

Re: Time out; Kuipto...

Post by Ren » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:03 pm

Great summary Prof.

Thanks for all your help and for coming out camping. Was great to get out on the choppers and into the country for a bit. The time out was needed.

Looking forward to the next ride.

Rayne.
Ren

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:55 pm

Good stuff. Got to look after "'Mens' health", no-one else will. Even an overnighter, helps clear the mind, just as much as a 5 hour journey.
and, you're right, Prof, Good ole Nannalaide is trying it's hardest to suppress our freedoms.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Tri4

Post by Tri4 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:07 am

You can sure write an interesting story Andrew, good to see you take a 'time out' and enjoy your ride and camp.

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”