Dec 16 Midnight Ride in SA...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Dec 16 Midnight Ride in SA...

Post by Prof » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:07 pm

We've been trying to fit in a Midnight Ride for a month, but the weather on Wednesdays has just not been good. A couple of weeks ago a promising Wednesday looked like being wet, so on the spur of the moment I spent much of a day and night calling all likely members for Tuesday which promised to be perfect. Understandably this time of the year plus with one day's notice meant a possible small group. Three definites was enough me and around 7pm Tuesday evening I roared down our road on my beloved shovel to meet the others. That it had been a hot day was evidenced by short sleeves being more than warm enough to ride in.

Coming down the hill into Old Noarlunga I managed to catch up on a loaded motorcyclist and rode close behind until we pulled up together at the lights at the bottom of the hill...

I asked him where he was going and got the kind of answer I wish I could give everytime I was on my chopper, "Wherever I end up . I've got two weeks holiday."

For a change I pulled into Villies five minutes early, but didn't have to wait long as first Rayne and then Victor rolled in... two shovel choppers and one S&"S Pan...

We waited for fifteen minutes for the couple of others who said they might be able to come and then discussed possible routes. Rayne was keen on Henley Beach then along the coast to Semaphore.

The Pan was being a pain this night and Victor and I waited for Rayne to get the thing booted into life...

Light was fading fast as we moved off, making photos a bit difficult, though I did get some really good video footage. Rayne...

We parked at Henley Beach and went for a walk out to the end of the jetty... plenty of fisher folks but only a few squid being caught...

Next we cruised through Outer Harbour, up past the Submarine base, torrens Island Power house and then past the ships graveyard tothe Garden Island boat ramps. I coudn't resist trying my luck with the camera resting on my helmet, but I the dark could not get very clear photos...

We took off back towards the Port. We roared past the container docks and spying an entry point I hung a quick U'ey and pulled up at the little guard house. The lady guard was quite friendly, agreeing that the 'old days' where we could ride right up to the ships and talk to sailors and stevedores was a much better era. the other two were long gone and I turned about and rode on the the dark, assuming they would finally realise one set of lights was missing and come back for me. Which they did!

Victor reckoned riding back up the new Port Adelaide/Salisbury freeway would be just the ticket and we took off along that stretch at a great rate of knots passing everything is sight.

Then it was a left swing to get back over the freeway and onto the South Road flyover. I got some more good movie footage here. Rayne also had his GoPro running for much of the time and he had some good footage to show us later.

There are currently major roadworks along South Road and we pulled up between lines of orange bollard at Torrens Road. One of the workers came up to us totally taken with our cool 'EasyRider" choppers. The conversation was cut short as the lights changed, but getting enthusiastic comments like that gives one a warm glow inside.

The three of us were having a great time changing leadership and generally horsing about. We followed a rather slow ute along Memorial Drive, then finally cruised up lower Rundle street which surprisingly was fairly deserted, along North Terrace and back along Hindley street finally rolling to a noisy stop in front of The Pancake Kitchen...

We all agreed, it had been one of our best short rides ever. The food was great. I highly recommend their chocolate thick shake... absolutely scrumptious.

Part of our reason for visiting The Pancake Kitchen at this time was to present the staff with a framed A3 poster I'd made up of an article I'd had printed in the Adelaide Advertiser and some 70's and current bike photos. This was duly done when they all had a spare moment. I was a bit nervous and did a crummy job including forgetting to take a photo of the event, but they seemed to get a kick out of it anyway.

Finally at around midnight, we three chopper jocks, decided to make tracks, but one more photo of an 'outasight' evening...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Tri4

Re: Dec 16 Midnight Ride in SA...

Post by Tri4 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:47 am

Great to see you guys riding, and taking your camera, good story as usual. Don't know about stopping at a pancake parlor though, I can feel the weight adding on as we speak.

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”