Greasers Night Ride, March2017

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Greasers Night Ride, March2017

Post by Prof » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:18 pm

Four of us from Choppers Australia joined in on the Greasers Night Ride... We'd never been involved before, so thought we check out the folks and their rides.

Jett and I rolled up at Villies around 6.30pm followed soon after by Victor and Jason...

Soon after Jett arrived a bloke on a big cruiser rolled in and parked beside us. Forgotten his name, but he was 'gobsmacked' at our choppers, spent lots of time looking at them and asking questions. He was amazed that classic choppers of the 70's were even able to exist in this day of the nanny state. He's only just gotten back on bikes after many years (the ex missus wouldn't let me have one!) and is loving every minute of it...

Our reason for coming early was to get some footage of choppers meeting to add to in the wind clips Jett is putting together for a u tube video. So once we'd all said g'day Victor, Jason and I got back on our choppers and rode out and back in with Jett doing his movie thing. Victor and I then each took some footage of Jett rolling back in...

7.15; we blasted off as a close bunch of four choppers to meet the Greasers gathering just off Hindley St... Jason here on his big inch S&S along Anzac Highway...

A couple pics of Jett and Victor...

Brat style (I think) xs650...

Sidevlave 500cc BSA. Owner is doing up a 600cc motor for it...

Victor fell in love with this Honda and reckons one of these will be his next project for riding to work...

Our four choppers rolling into the carpark created a minor sensation and they had lots of admirers. I'd expected far more bobbers and cafe racers but customs made up less than half the bikes that rolled in...

This CB750 was advertised for sale on our forums last year. Owner has done a lot of work on it with still more to go. He was amazed that our choppers were street legal and was enthused to do some more mods on his in the future... Has wanted a chopper for years...

Maps were handed around and the group of 30 odd bikes were started. I always figure on staying up front with the leaders to reduce the likelyhood of getting lost and the wisdom in this was borne out later in the evening. As the four of us pulled up behind the two leaders we were warned the SS has set up a defecting station on out planned route, so a minor change was made.

A long double line of loud machines snaked out onto West Terrace and along North Terrace. It was a warm night and stopping at the lights soon had us Harley riders lifting out right legs to prevent 'roast of the day'!

Traffic was really thick (This was The Fringe week)and just crawling along and our parade soon got separated. This stop up Magill road the second of a number through the ride. Jason headed back home because the night time glare was affecting his vision. He told me today, he thought he was going to be pulled in to a breatho unit, but traffic was thick enough for him to be waved past, though he felt SS eyes piercing his jacket as he cruised past on reduced throttle...

First part of the route was up to Norton summit. We had some inexperienced riders in the group and a couple of very small engined bikes, so things soon got spread out. At the second stop us three got a late start off and ended up half way back in the pack. Prior to leaving the meeting place the leader apologised to me for the twisty route as were were riding choppers. I said I didn't think it bother us as they are surprisingly agile and take the corners very smoothly. Victor and I certainly felt held back most of the time and Jett with his rigid rear end and undampened springer hooked through the tight bumpy turns with no dramas...

Rumbling into Norton summit I was met with a line of stopped bikes and confused looking riders. The leaders were nowhere to be seen and we had three options ahead of us. As usual, Prof wasn't one to sit around and I found someone with a map. It listed Marble Hill road as our next road, so I announced I was going to take a gamble and turn off to the left that said 'To Marble Hill'. The rest obviously figured that option was as good as anything and followed...

Much of the way down the road I was convinced I chosen the wrong route, but there seemed no point turning back and confusing everyone. Figured we'd regroup back in the suburbs and meet the others at the final destination back in the city. Marble Hill Road is outa sight and would be particularly enjoyable in the daylight. Our lighting slowed us down somewhat in the dark.

We finally rolled into the suburbs at the top of Montecute Road. There were only half a dozen of us so we pulled up just after the big roundabout to let the rest catch up. One group rolled in, the last rider saying there were more still coming. A learner rider followed by a Harley and the sidey Beeza came in five minutes later. The beeza battery could no longer sustain the headlight and the Harley rider sat just behind him providing some lighting. Pretty cool!...

I suggested we get on our way and we were checking the map when a bobber came blasting up the road from the direction of the city. The rest had been waiting for us just around the corner!! We were on the right track after all. Confusion was really that the map was very small and did not show intersections very well, so combined with poor lighting was not easy to follow. Anyway, all together now and on straight city streets our snake reformed with most bikes riding as pairs back into the city and once again down a packed North Terrace and hot roasted Harley right legs.

A big loop around Waymouth and King William streets brought us to our destination a bar called Jack Ruby. The narrow pedestrian way almost fit all the bikes with a few parked on the broad King William footpath. Once again the riders mingled checking our machinery as well as explaining our passion and bikes to some of the brave souls slipping out of the mass of pedestriana flowing past... although it was hard to concentrate at times due the frequent skimpy suggestions of clothing barely containing the wearers passed by...

Recently (see an earlier 'Midnight Ride' post) Choppers Australia presented the Pancake Kitchen with a framed poster containing 70's pics and I suggested to Victor and Jett that we see if it was put up yet. "Let's do it." was the reply. We rolled our choppers out through the melee, fired them up and rolled out onto the street followed (I would like to think) by many pairs of envious eyes.

A quick spin around the block and we thundered into the Pancake Kitchen lane and parked. Yes the poster was there. A discussion about the night's activities and we once again fired up our three choppers and headed for home.

I have just decoked and put new head gaskets on my shovel and enjoyed her steady beat as I hotfooted it for home. Travelling up South Road around about St Mary's and taxi van almost put me into the median strip s he swung across my lane without indicating in an effort to force his way past two dawdling cars. I always ride alongside a driver's window so I know he knows I am there but hadn't quite made it when the dill pulled across.

We sort of played cat and mouse the rest of the way out of the suburbs and along the Expressway all the way to McLaren Vale where I pulled in for go juice. He was a bit of a maniac weaving lane to lane trying to pass cars. I kept pretty much to the speed limit but tried to keep ahead of him. Worked sometimes, other times he moved ahead when I came up behind a slow vehicle.

Anyway I could hardly believe it as I got off the chopper and He got out of his van and came up to tell me what a cool bike I had. I think he wanted to talk a bit, but I was less than impressed with his 'driving' and got the tank filled and went in to pay leaving him to get back into his bus and drive off. Takes all kinds but I reckon he's an accident waiting to happen... but I guess that's the way they drive in his country of origin.

All in all it was a fun night. The blokes and gals (yep a couple of female riders too) were a nice bunch and the ride despite traffic and people getting left behind was very enjoyable and will not be forgotten for a long time to come.

That's the thing about riding... it's the inconvenient events often that make it memorable once more success against the odds.

A bunch of us chopper jocks are heading up north for the Cup weekend and no doubt that will be a memorable one to.

See ya all on th' trail,
thick traffic, near misses, broke down mounts,
burning heat, rain or hail;
we're ridin' mates and that's what counts...

Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Tri4

Re: Greasers Night Ride, March2017

Post by Tri4 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:47 pm

You certainly know how to tell the story.
Interesting night, interesting bikes and bikes,, thats what I'm talking about!!

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”