Time for a short trip

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Time for a short trip

Post by Prof » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:28 am

12 months might be possible. I have a dream of doing a round trip with a couple of choppers that is video'd and can be made into a reasonable length DVD.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Tri4

Post by Tri4 » Sat May 06, 2017 11:24 pm

I like the idea of a recorded chopper ride around the country, I would definitely like the company!
DSCN0915.jpg
This report is not a lot different, with many miles of riding, fuel, food and some sleep, these big rigs are interesting to meet and pass on the highway because of the sheer size and the amount of road required to get around them, mostly without incident.
I did have an interesting night near Broome at Roebuck roadhouse, when I checked the price of a 'budget room' $90 thank you very much, just to sleep, out the road I go find a secluded spot rig up the sleeping tent, mosquitoes everywhere, I lit a very smokey fire thinking this would help, but then the midgie's attacked me I ended up spraying mozzie repellent through my hair and every where else as werll as standing in the smoke to keep them away, but to no avail pack up and continue riding on, about 50k along somebody yelled at me I got a glimpse of a guy on the side of the road in the pitch black, he had a dog as well in all dark clothes I don't think my light showed me anything, I still don't know how come I didn't hit him, this at about 11pm, he had walked from Broome and needed water, I let him have some of mine, I think he decided to head back to Broome, I continued on only to discover 1hr later he had not left me any of my own water, I managed a couple of hours sleep, no midges and not many mosquitoes
DSCN0914.jpg
Gerry

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon May 08, 2017 11:54 am

Part of the challenge of being out on the road. I hate mozzies and I hate lack of sleep so really feel for you. Standing in smoke is not the best idea either. I have a book on aborigines that I got as a pre teen. One of the photos in that was of an elevated bed of boughs above a fire to keep off the insects.

Glad is all going well otherwise.

I'm talking to members about a recorded ride in one to two years time... three or four choppers would be pretty cool.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Tri4

Post by Tri4 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:54 am

Wouldn't standing in the smoke be the same as an elevated bed above the fire?

One of my camp spots it was definatly not the most comfortable. Just to tired to travel any further!
IMG_0713.jpg

One of the more interesting buildings at Roebourne which just happens to be the old goal.
DSCN0920.jpg
One of my 'between service station' fuel stops, which co-incedently was also a local 'rest area'.
DSCN0919.jpg
The end is now in sight
Gerry

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri May 12, 2017 9:05 pm

And the springer seems to be holding up! Have you seen any other choppers on the road? Do you get any comments re being a lone biker on a chopper?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Tri4

Post by Tri4 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:52 am

Springer has held up excellent!! Catch's a few comments along the road, but not as many as you (I) would expect, had a stop at roadhouse where a tour bus was taking a break as well got a lot of interest in the chopper there, a few of them were sneaking photo's of my vest and trying to get some close-ups of the patch's I didn't mind but they got all shy and slipped away when I started to chat about them with them, I never see choppers miles from anywhere just, occasionally around town where I can't catch up with them, a few jappers on the highway and most of those are the adventure style, a lot of Harley's in trailers, or the back of utes, in fact, I tried to chat with a couple of guys trailering their Harley's, not willing to talk at all, arh well off down the road thinking all my chopper thoughts by my self.
Spent an hour or so chatting with a Brit from Sydney riding a BMW 'adventure type' heading to a mine up north and staying on the bitumen?, I was low on fuel, he needed a break, he informed me fuels no worries to him as he had a 600k range, three times as far as me, but what a huge bike, also as it was 34 degrees he had nowhere to tie his wet weather gear so had to wear them, he was obviously envious of my dress code of tee shirt and cargo pants.
Well my short trip is over, I covered 16000 klm's and visited every capital city on the mainland, except Canberra visited a lot of family and a few places that have special memories from the past, and have a plan to ride to Darwin in a year or so, that will be a week of luxury in a 5 star motel on the coast. Not sure what the rest of that ride will be yet, but details will be revealed at a later date.
Take care
Gerry

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”