Dec 2017 Midnight Ride

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Dec 2017 Midnight Ride

Post by Prof » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:27 pm

At short notice I organised our final Midnight Ride for the year, Wednesday night just gone. Initially we had quite a good roundup, but the last day three blokes had to drop out. Not to worry, some of our best rides have been with small numbers... more flexibility allowing changes of direction at short notice and easier to keep together especially on night city rides. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty cool to have a long line of choppers cruising, so either way we always have a good time.

My shovel needed some attention and got brake adjustments, chain lube and tension check, plus a few other bits and a quick clean (Hey folks I really do like a shiny bike, even if it usually grimy)...

Victor called mid afternoon to say the kicker on his shovel jammed up while he was in the city earlier on and he had to get a bloke to push start him. Turns out the fellow owns a 68 shovel. How about that for coincidence. Anyway, Did I have a puller. Idea was if I could get down a bit earlier, we might be able to get him back on the road. So I sat down with a spare shovel gearbox and worked out how to get of the ratchet gear... not easy bit got it sorted and grabbed a bunch of parts he might need.

Oscar phoned to say he couldn't make it, but Chris and girlfriend Micky were meeting me. Chris enjoys riding the CB550/4. It's probably the most chopped of our SA choppers with 10.5 over forks and 45 degree rake. The W bars make low speed manoeuvring a bit of a pain but sure are comfy once moving.

So, we managed to take off half an hour early. (Photo shoot planned was now unlikely due to Victor's problems). Here Chris motoring along the McLaren Vale/Willunga drag...

Sun was still up though low in the sky, so we got some pics and a great video clip of Chris alongside on the expressway. Micky was on the back of me as Chris is still on his learners. She became my official camera lady...

Grabbed the camera off her and got a couple of shots across the bars...

Got to Victor's with only 20 minutes to work on his gearbox. Not enough time to get it back together, but at least get off the tight gear and find out the problem...

If you need to remove the kicker ratchet on your pre 90's HD, you need a small puller with feet that will fit in a 3mm gap. Get as much pressure on the gear with the puller (red arrow) as you can and then bang the key with a nail punch (blue arrow). It should pop off. Offending gear is shown by white arrow. Problem was a thoroughly chewed out plain bearing on the larger spring loaded ratchet gear.

Victor, however had his back up 29 Ford Roadster Pickup. You probably all know he built it from scratch and has had it registered for a month or so... go cart handling and hard to keep up with in the curves. But that's why hot rods got built in the 40's and 50's in the first place. Standard cars of the time handled like bowls of mush!

We rolled up at Villies as Pete said "fashionably late". Jett was there on his 750 Kwakka chopper. And as it turned out, we were it!

Cool mirrors on Jett's chopper... great view of his knees, but it's legal...

Some groovy paintwork. Yellow job is Pete's. He'll do helmets, tanks, guards etc if you are interested...

My son Paul is currently in a private hospital sorting out some painkilling medication, so he was the first stop. Victor worked out the rest of the ride and became the designated leader. Now dark and my camera doesn't like it...

After a missed turn and a couple of U turns we rolled up in the hospital car park and Paul came out with three others to admire the machines. One lady, Suzy and her whole large family are heavily into bikes and are going to come up and check out The Chopper Shed. She was in heaven surrounded by the choppers and hotrod. No photos allowed.

Next we blasted up Greenhill Road in fine style, getting a number of thumbs up from others on the road. Then a sharp right to Mt Lofty. Temperature was much lower and Victor was regretting not bringing his leather jacket...

We picked up fuel at Crafers and Jett left us to get some work done at home. Victor then led us towards Blackwood with a super sharp left turn partway along that had choppers going in interesting directions and finding out the limitations of their brakes! This road took us back into Stirling and it was then charging en masse down the Freeway to the city. Always love the roar as we drop back a gear and blast through the tunnel.

Diversion along Hutt Street and up a fairly quiet lower Rundle Street. Roadworks along North Terrace (Hotly debated tramway) slowed us right down and long idling motors heated up our legs. I shut off a few times, but we finally got through and then a slow profile up Hindley Street with lots of encouraging yells...

...and thumbs up...

Victor led us into Gilbert Place and we all (Hotrod included) parked out front...

After some enjoyable food we headed for home, but first a pic of our choppers through the window. We always sit where we can see the choppers of course!

Victor gets plenty of attention and earlier had a girl jump in his vehicle for a photo...

Here we went our separate ways. Chris, Micky and I had an fast ride home enjoying every minute of it, two choppers close together blasting through the night.

All agreed it was a great time. Next Midnight Ride will be early January so keep posted.

Thanks to Chris for photos at Victors and Victor for Mt Lofty photos.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Re: Dec 2017 Midnight Ride

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 am

Fantastic pics, what a great night!
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”