Night at the beach Jan 2018...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Night at the beach Jan 2018...

Post by Prof » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:45 pm

Friday and Saturday just gone were forecast to be stinkers, so i rang around a few of the most likely suspects to see who would like to join me sleeping down on the beach on the Saturday night. Got no takers, but was looking forwards to it too much to be deterred. This was particularly the case because I've not gotten anywhere very interesting on the bike much lately.

So with my simple needs packed, I rumbled off to Silver Sands about 8 miles away as the sun was getting low in the sky. I had expected the weather to still be quite warm at this time despite a forecast change, but it came in cool very quickly...

Rode slowly along the beach to find a deserted spot and got plenty of waves and thumbs up from beach goers. Cars were parked every 10-15 yards with a few bigger gaps, but a spot showed itself. A couple of passers by stopped and chatted about choppers and motorcyles they'd had in days gone by and a bloke on a trail bike acknowledged my wave with a smile and handful of throttle.

I played around with photos and video, but was denied some sunset silhouettes by a large bank of clouds down to the horizon...

As things got darker and ate my tea (couple of cans and some biscuits) and laid out my sleeping bag, pillow and thin mattress. A bit more than a light breeze was coming off the ocean, so boots, bag and helmet were used as protection...

A shot of my sissy bar from where I was lying...

I was just settling down to sleep when a set of lights instead of passing by, pulled up by me... My wife and son had come to check on me and stayed half an hour. Paul took this shot as they left...

The sea was a constant roar, something that really amazes me... all that continuous pent up energy, every hour, every day, every year... and a great sound to go to sleep by. I woke a few times during the night, particularly when the wind shifted and came down form the hills around 2am. This was my view of the waves from my sleeping bag by the light of a 3/4 moon...

6.15am announces sun rise and a tide moving in. I watch it for 20 minutes and then figure it might be a good idea to move, as it is going to be higher than the previous one. Get everything on the bike and as I hop on, the first wave slides up the sand under me... definitely time to move out...

So what now? Let's cruise man! So bike and rider roll sedately along through sleeping Sellicks and on towards Myponga. At the top of the hill we pass a dirt road to the left; a short cut to the Pages Flat Road. A u turn and we are on a pleasant gravel road then back onto the bitumen. I cruise along at 70-80k just enjoying the scenery, fresh air and the sound of my twin open upsweeps...

For interest, I explore a couple of no through roads and then head south just turning up side roads as I please. There is some fantastic country here and a tremendous variety of scenery, open grass, natural scrub, pine plantations and gum plantations, small creek crossing, hills, flats and lots of curves. Domestic animal variety includes, sheep, cattle, milk cows, llamas and these nasty looking beasts...

Tall forest...

Just one of dozens of roos of all sizes...

Follow a two wheeled tack for a mile or two. The ruts are so deep in places my foot pegs scrape; grass up to my shoulders in places and in a couple of spots these flowers. Bring one home for my wife to identify, but is totally shrivelled by that time...

Finally came back onto the Victor Harbor Road and mosy off home at around the speed limit, as some traffic is finally showing. Two hours of relaxing riding and exploring... a perfect finish to my night...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Re: Night at the beach Jan 2018...

Post by Youngblood » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Sounds like you where reliving the good ol' Days when everything moved at a slower pace.
8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Something to be said for that era, Youngblood, as you yourself experienced it. With the exception of the ADR's which at least limit the Gestapo's powers to defect us ("In my opinion, your bike is unroadworthy" and tough luck trying to get an unreasonable defect off), it was a much better time to live. Too much like Orwell's '1984' now. Oz Nanny will keep triumphing 'til we get someone like Trump in here... massive slashes in red tape, thousand of more jobs, home buying up etc etc
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Yes Prof, I also love that era while life was much easier in most ways it also had it's bad things as well. I remember the cops being complete a#*holes to me as long as I was on P plates, I used to get pulled over every single day have them strip my interior of the car out onto the footpath, most likely looking for Drugs (didn't touch them) giving me a hard time then driving off. It used to take me 2 hours to get it all back together, I had the car decked out nicely, only for those bastards to rip it all out again the next day. These where the good days on the not so good days they did all that and then defect my car on top of that. This meant that I had to not only fix up the interior of the car but had the make the car legal again too, this meant changing the sports steering wheel over to the original which was the size of a bus and I had to change the mags to the original razor blade wheels (today's stock Holden or Ford rims are twice the size of my old mags which I got defected in all the time) and any other fault they could find. Most defects where minor and of no importance, the one good thing was you went to the Police station to get the defect off and it didn't cost a cent. While we think back to the good all days we mainly think of the good times and we had lots of them because when we where young we had no responsibilities and life in general was all about girls, girls and girls and then cars or bikes or for the lucky ones we got to enjoy all three. We rarely think about the bad times, don't get me wrong if I could go back in time I would but obviously that is not going to happen. But to go back to the beginning, there was definitely something to be said for that era, I for one loved it.
:x :D 8)
Youngblood

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Very true... and it was a unique era, but much easier despite the 70's cop problems... in the 60's the coppers were pretty much respected. We never locked our car, would all sleep on the front lawn on a hot night, camped in the forests and on the beach... lots of sandhills then and scattered shacks not these modern monstrosities lining the beach.

A house was much more affordable... incomes were less, but tax was much much less. As you said, defects cost nothing to be removed. Mum was able to stay at home if she liked cos hubby's income was sufficient, so the children were actually brought up by mum and dad, not the government... didn't have to go to school until 7 and could leave at 15. Divorce was low, so kids had stability and self confidence. You actually got taught a lot more useful stuff at school even if much of it was wasted... now most of it is just brainwashing. You could walk into a job within a couple of hours... and when you travelled the last thing you thought about was the cost of fuel!

Mid fifties to mid seventies were definitely Australia's golden age.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:52 pm

All very true and much more, I often tell the young guys my story of running out of petrol as I pulled up at the petrol station literally rolling the last few metres to the pump. Then filled the tank until it came back out at the filler neck and all that for $15 bucks and that after the prices had jump up dramatically the previous two years, I believe the petrol cost 34 cents a litre. When I came out to Australia as a young lad in 1979 petrol was 17 cents a litre and three years later when I started driving it was 34 cents a litre as mentioned before. So it seems I missed out on Australia's golden era but the early 80's where still a lot of fun.
Youngblood

jsalt

Post by jsalt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi guys,
I didn't feel that old till you guys starting talking about petrol prices and I'm not yet 40. When I started driving you got a full tank of petrol and a full tank of gas for less than $50.
That was when gas was about 18 cents and petrol was as low as 50 cents a litre. The good old days!! :shock:
Haha
Jon
I hear voices and they have some good ideas!

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:58 pm

I more and more hear myself talking like my dad! I used to dismiss what he said as it seemed so silly. For example, he bought his 350 KSS Velocette in 1934 for 39 pounds ie 78 dollars My 350 Aermacchi in 1971 cost me $450, so $70 dollars for the same sized bike seemd quite unreal.

When I was first riding in 1969, petrol as Youngblood said was under 20c a gallon ie less than 4.5c per litre. When I used to come down from Pt Pirie to Adelaide in 1974, I would top up in Pt Wakefield (80miles) for 40c. Now that does sound crazy... just 15 years difference Jon.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

jsalt

Post by jsalt » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Yer, really crazy compared to these days.
I alway say to my mates the house our parents paid 12 grand for we are paying 300 grand for and our kids will pay a mill for. Just think about the wage difference between grandparents to grandkid if they do the same job, we are seriously talking about $50 a week to $5000 a week.
It's a crazy world we are evolving into.
:lol:
I hear voices and they have some good ideas!

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:01 pm

Haha Jon give it another 10 years or so and you will look back and hear Prof words "I more and more hear myself talking like my dad!". Don't worry guys life is what you make it to most extend, not everything was good then and not everything is bad now. We just have to make the best with what we got and we certainly do that at Choppers Australia. I for one would rather have a chopper that I built today than have one that I would have built back then. Now I can already hear people going nuts and carrying on that I'm an (profanity) and I don't know what I'm talking about but I disagree. I grew up with choppers and my old man was a 1%er, that's all I knew in my childhood. I even converted my first couple of pushbikes into choppers. I just think it is a lot easier to modify these days and there are many more choices out there, also today's bikes are much more reliable. I have always said people should ride whatever they want and makes them happy and anyone that gives another rider grief because he doesn't like his choice is the one that is the (profanity). This is one of the main reasons I became and still am a Choppers Australia member, most of the members that I have met don't care what I ride we just ride together and have a good time, period.
8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

Prof

Post by Prof » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:13 am

I've been told by ones smarter than I that inflation is purposeful because it erodes savings and keeps money in the loop with an ever increasing amount going to the govt via taxation and fees.

That's what is so nice about getting on the chopper when I have to do jobs or just cruising about... it's a parallel universe, bit like Heaven I guess with no thought about the current world... just me and me chopper alone in our own little space... and the wind whistling by...

And... You little beaudy... I'm taking a trip to Lonsdale in half an hour on a black Honda chopper with diamond tank and open 90mm turnouts... cool...

New side covers on their way.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”