Short spin on the backroads...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Short spin on the backroads...

Post by Prof » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:34 pm

A customer didn't show up today as expected, so I did a couple of fix up jobs on Paul's Steed with Stevo's help. Paul suggested Stevo go for a spin to clear some cobwebs and I figured why not join him... more fun two choppers together...

Stevo is a trail bike rider, and asked me to show him a few local backroads, so off we went, starting off with a narrow track short cut. Then cruising in the general direction of Kangarilla, I took him up some cool 'no through' roads that are negotiable on two wheels.

A couple of U turns (I am a bit rusty on a couple of tracks) were followed by travelling onto a track at the end of bitumen that had no 'No through road' sign on it, so I figured it must get us somewhere. It didn't and we ended up on two narrow wheel tracks in quite deep sand. Man did the shovel initially give me a scare as she squirrelled about, but a fist full of throttle kept me upright. That minute of sand was by far the best part of the ride for me... great fun!

We finally had to get back on the main road. Interesting sight greeted us as we came into the big curve a mile out of town. As a car just ahead of us approached the curve, an LED sign on a tall pole lit up momentarilly. What the heck is that I thought and dropped my speed just in case it was the latest attempt at revenue riding. Didn't light up for us. Hmmm!

Fuel up for Stevo at the Kangarlilla servo and a lady who looked very local walked past. Her answer to my obvious question? Sign is a trial. A popular shortcut to Clarendon that meets in the middle of this curve has been the scene of a number of accidents. The sign lights up if there is a car at the intersection telling oncoming traffic to slow down. What next? At least not revenue raising!..

With plenty of go juice we then headed north out of Kangarilla to turn right and run over the range above Mt Bold reservoir. Rough unsealed road, but well worth it...

The part of the pine plantation that was burnt out some years ago is being harvested giving us a clear view over the incredibly steep hillside to the reservoir. Spectacular...

Love travelling these roads with overhanging eucalypts creating a dark tunnel above a white ribbon of road...

Kept my speed down as the Steed is rigid and felt for Stevo's back...

this is a hard shot to get at anytime. Even more interesting negotiating gravel potholed corners with one hand...

We eventually arrived at the bitumen between Echunga and Meadows. Pulled into the bakery for a break and some refreshment. Then time to head home. Finally got Stevo in front of me so I could get some pics and video of him (video clips on Choppers Australia.com Facebook)...

Cool riding and always fun charging down Old Willunga Hill and through Willunga main street. Stevo reckoned the ride was just what the Doctor ordered. Won't be our last ride Stevo!..

Head back down to work tomorrow, unfortunately once again missing a club ride tomorrow out east, but was good to be out in the wind for an hour or so...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”