Family spin to Second Valley Jan 2019...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Family spin to Second Valley Jan 2019...

Post by Prof » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:48 am

My son Michael and his girlfriend Tanya and her son, Christian, flew down from the Gold Coast for our New Year Gathering. The following day Michael talked everyone into riding our choppers down to second valley.

Those who have been around CA for a while know Michael rides his sporty chopper to work every day rain or shine. What's more, 'like father like son" he also apparently carries unconventional loads on his chopper... showed me a photo on the weekend of him and Christian on the chopper with Christian's bicycle on board as well!

Anyway, Michael managed to cajole Paul into coming as well. Paul hasn't ridden his chopper for more than very short stints since he sustained neck and head injuries in a car accident and a tyre explosion. He is in constant pain and often has to resort to pretty serious pain killers. Last Friday he banged his head on an overhead iron bar and ended up in a lot of pain and the resultant pain killers. Figured pain couldn't get much worse and consented to come with us. One advantage of running a bike shop is that I can usually supply leather jackets, gloves, helmets and... even choppers...

First stop was a quick fill up at Aldinga 'On the Run'. Michael and I went in to pay for the three bike top ups. Cashier asked me if mine was the $27 or $7. Was the 7 of course and I paid and went outside. When Michael got our to us, he realised he'd been charged for three pumps instead of two. We got our receipts and went back inside. Got to Michael's cashier just as a fellow was trying to pay his $27 bill!! We got our refund...

Weather was perfect and we headed off through Sellicks Hill and turning off towards the Myponga Reservoir pulled up for the view back over Aldinga and Christies Beach. Tanya hasn't been to South Australia, so we wanted to show her some of the sights. This one is always spectacular, day or night...

Tanya took a couple of the pics on this post including this one going over the reservoir...

Paul and Christian on Paul's CB550...

Paul also wanted to have a go on the Steed, but was too hard on his neck with no wind screen and a small hard seat...

Chopper Shed customers who have needed a chopper seat will know how much I discourage them from using these silly little things. The leather is pretty. The seat is unobtrusive. And they are insane if you want to do a ride of any length. I rode the Steed for most of the time and I still have a sore and bruised bum, despite the 2" springs. These seats are hard, too small and offer no support, so the rider has to hang onto the bars to stay on the chopper. That brief ride I had on the 550 four was utter bliss after the Steed! I will now speak my mind with a renewed passion any time the subject comes up!

Tanya loved going over the Myponga Reservoir.. in fact loved the whole trip. (she is a regular passenger on Michael's chopper)... here cruising through Normanville...

After a 15 minute pause in Normanville we cruised on down to Second Valley. The day had well and truly heated up, so the others were very happy to grab the snorkelling gear they's packed and head off around the rocks to a favourite spot. I stayed with the bikes as my legs are past walking any distance unless absolutely essential. Sat down on a leather jacket between two choppers and spent the next two hours trying to keep in the shade and watching the crowds enjoying themselves on the sand or heading past me to the jetty. As usual, I had a number of folks keen to talk about the choppers, some of them having had choppers in the past or just riders of modern stock bikes...

Later in the afternoon as people were beginning to pack up, a girl with three Vietnamese boys attempted to tie some canoes on to the back of her ute. They were obviously in a lot of trouble, so my offer to help was gratefully accepted. Tried to teach one of the teenage boys how to secure a load, but he wasn't too interested and I ended up doing it all myself.

Sadly, there were two short paddles in the tray that I pointed out needed to be secured. She replied not to worry as she didn't care if they blew out! I was a bit stunned, but replied that I cared if I happened to be riding behind them. She did not bat an eyelid. Scary, and reinforced my approach of never sitting behind a ute or trailer. Once had a ladder come off in front of me. It was so close to me the nearest end was hidden by the front wheel and all this happening on a sweeping bend at 60mph! Next pic the offending driver heading off... with a properly secured load...

The others finally returned and once packed and having chatted to some more interested folk we headed back home. This patch of road and beach just south of Normanville has been in a number of movies...

Just before Sellicks HIll, Michael pulled me over and suggested we cruise along the sand to Silver Sands... which of course we did. The tide was not fully out so we had to ride through water in a few places...

Found a good spot to pull up and watch the sun go down. Had a bit of fun talking to a couple with a long haired Border Collie who was going nuts chasing the gulls. Was so funny to watch...

Tried this on my editing programme...

We mucked around a bit on the choppers and I discovered the Steed does not like soft sand, bogging down instantly...

Took Michael and I a lot of heaving and grunting to get it out. Easiest way was to lay it on its side and pack the sand back under the wheels and then stand it up...

Ok guys. I'll behave!..

Acting up on the choppers...

Finally with the sun level with the sea, we moved off, to see if we could catch a fish and chip shop. The one on the esplanade was closed, but one of the workers who was cleaning up got onto his phone and found out that another one in the main street of Old Aldinga was open for another 25 minutes. We hotfooted it up there and arrived with 15 minutes to spare. Waited as a customer was collecting her order only to be told quite strongly... We're closed. No apology even though their advertised closing was still 10 minutes away. We were unimpressed to say the least... bad manners if ever there were...

So if was off home in the dark to some frozen pizzas and left overs and then thankfully crawling into bed. This morning my first task was to get out our machines and wash the salt and sand off. Cleaned the 750 chopper while I was at it. Line up looks good I think.

We all thought it was a great day, despite Paul's suffering and my very sore bum. Michael and co headed off this afternoon, so it will be a while before father and older son get to ride together again...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”