Jan 2019 Midnight Ride

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Jan 2019 Midnight Ride

Post by Prof » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:13 pm

I realised a few days ago, we were going to have some good hot weather, which with Christmas/New Year over would be a good opportunity for a Midnight Ride.

A quick ring around of the usual suspects plus some calls by Kevin, gave me a promise of 5 or 6 riders, which is more than enough for good ride.

As it turned out, Wednesday was very hot and a few dropped out, but two riders is enough for a good time.

Tony and his wife, Nads rolled up to The Chopper Shed bang on time and we blasted off towards Adelaide. Grabbed some pics and video clips of them...

and she got some too...

Interesting cloud and sunbeam formation as we come over the hill out of 'the vale', but this was the best I could do...

Big motor pulsating underneath, country side slipping by, rush of the wind... hmm! Luv'ly...

Had a small drama having to park my chopper and walk back 100 yards to retrieve my torch that jumped out of my pack as I hit a BIG bump in the road renos at Darlington. Good torch as it still works and shows no damage besides some scratches.

We rolled into Villies' car park ten minutes early and within a couple of minutes heard the familiar thump thump of Peter's brightly painted machine...

Victor and Rayne rolled up soon after...

Peter looking relaxed as usual...

Temperature was still high, and just uncomfortable standing around talking on the concreted park, so after a brief discussion we settled on Rayne and Victor's route choice... Windy point followed by Mt Lofty...

Traffic was mild and our group of choppers and cruisers in fairly close formation had fun whipping past the slow moving tin cans. It was difficult getting photos and video due to the closeness of the bikes and the rapidly fading light. Victor 'grooving'...

Rayne and his pan 'in the moment'...

Neat; 5 machines thundering along and pulling up together at the lights...

Temperature was still noticeably warm whenever we stopped, but about right as we blasted through the twisties to Windy Point. However, I rode in just my leather vest (and jeans of course) for the rest of the night. Tony's girl has not been on the back of the bike a lot and had a ball. Says she was over the moon...

Rayne was quite excited by an unexpected bump they hit that lifted him and Victor high off their seats. Rayne ended up on the Queen section of his seat!... I should mention that when I advertised the ride I guaranteed we wouldn't get washed out like we did the previous Midnight Ride. Weeell!!! I was wrong. We didn't get wet, but copped heavy drops or rain most of the ride with some of the roads quite damp... requiring some caution through the hills with possible leaves on the corners... very slippery. but we got through all right...

Victor then led us though Sheok Road to Mt Lofty, north of the usual route we take. What a fantastic ride. Must try it in the daytime.

Riding along Sheok Road was the highlight for me. I've never been on it before and to ride it at night was like going on a mystery tour. We did that a lot in the early days as we only just had our licences and our own transport, so did lot's of exploring. Someone would find a road and when we got together on a Friday or Saturday night would lead us with the rest of us 'in the dark' excuse the pun! This ride just took me right back to those days of excitement, exhilaration and sense of adventure.

Here parked at Mt Lofty look out...

While everyone was taking photos of the city lights, I took photos of them taking photos!!...

It was then decided to cruise around the mount to Greenhill Road and across to Payneham Rd where Tony and co were committted and then back to a 24 hour cafe on Norwood Parade. Here we ran into a slight problem as it occurred to me (and Rayne independently) that it would be better to drop into the cafe first; so we swung right at the Glynburn Rd roundabout. Victor has shot off ahead of us, but he seemed to have stopped to wait for us and I assumed he'd seen us, so we turned and pulled over further up to wait for him. Tony even did a double loop around the round about (no doubt confusing a whole lot of tin can drivers) to get his attention.

So we finally went on and had just gotten off our bikes at the cafe when Victor came rumbling down. He figured we'd all meet here eventually anyway!

Tony and co took off leaving us four to have some supper...

We'd decided on an early night and though it was very tempting to show off though lower Rundle Street which would be packed, we headed for home around 10.30pm. Peter headed north and shook the surrounding windows as he tromped his Harley up the Parade. Rayne, Victor and I were a little more considerate, but still had a great time cruising three abreast where possible... just magic, don't need drugs or booze for a high when there's a couple of you blasting along the road in close formation...

Well, first, Rayne then Victor peeled off for home leaving me to rumble on just me and my shovel. I decided i needed solitude and headed home to Willunga via Old Belair Road, Blackwood, Corromandel Valley and Clarendon and Blewitt Springs enjoying having the dark tree lined roads to myself and the cool wind in what is left of my hair...

Every Midnight Ride is unique and always great fun and a chance to leave the serious part of life behind for a short while... and this night was no exception...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Re: Jan 2019 Midnight Ride

Post by Youngblood » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:13 pm

Yeah, great night indeed with the only downer being those occasional rain drops making my bike dirty, which I let everyone know :lol: :lol: :lol: , no seriously love my bike to sparkle but hate to wash it so rain is my enemy because it turns a dusty bike into a filthy bike. What was perfect though was to go for a cruise with friends on a hot summers night, I love the heat and can't think of anything better than cruising on my Harley when the weather is like this, it was a great night indeed.
8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

El Skitzo

Re: Jan 2019 Midnight Ride

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:44 am

Sensational bikes!!
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”