Mile End Bike Meet June 2019...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Mile End Bike Meet June 2019...

Post by Prof » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:47 am

I intended to have this up 3 hours ago, but when I started and got some music going on U tube (Henry Mancini Pink Panther theme) , Rilda joined me and at her request I started finding ballroom dancing clips. She was a very keen ballroom dancer from young, but unfortunately dipped out marrying me as I could never see the point in it. So then we ended up watching a pile of Andre Rieu humerous clips. So finally at Midnight I am getting on with it!

A bike gathering was organised at Mile End tonight and I agreed to join Victor and cruise down and check it out. Rained on and off during the day at Willunga. Forcast said Adelaide would be rainfree, but I packed my waterproofs anyway. The last couple of weeks the battery has been having trouble turning over the motor and at five years old could be suspected to be giving up the ghost. Bit disappointed as it is an SSB Liium Ion battery which is supposed to last double the time of a lead acid. So, to be on the safe side, I wired in a second battery for the evening because the bike which has been starting first or second kick most of the time has been rather cantankerous the last couple of days. Figured I'd play safe. Did some test starts and it fired up easily. Good. All set

It was well and truly dark at 6pm when I fired up the shovel and headed off down the road... Beautiful mild night and enjoyed the cruise into the city despite fairly heavy traffic. Didn't feel like eating before I left, so pulled into a servo for a sandwhich. Motor wouldn't even move with the starter! Took six kicks to get her fired up. Bugga! Met Victor and another mate, Nicholas and we headed for the closest servo, so Victor could fill up with go juice.

Nick and I parked out of the way, with me wondering how the old girl would start this time (took another 6 or so kicks!)...

Victor has just set up some adjustable baffles and with the bike back firing thought he'd better open them up a bit...

Nothing much more beautiful than the chromed top end of a classic springer. A project Victor has just finished and is working well...

Whole front end looks pretty cool actually...

Victor made his own brake backing plate out of steel. All chromed and shiny... Luv'ly!!!!

We three cruised, rumbled and roared through the traffic to Mile End...

Probably 200 bikes mostly Jap sports bikes with a few Harleys and some smaller bikes as well. This CX500 cafe seemed about the only other home built machine there. We cruised though the crowd, parked and went to look for any other interesting machines...

This springer was different to the common Harley copy front ends...

A number of folks liked our choppers and we got the common comment of "You never see these around any more!" Us chopper jocks are obviously not getting out there enough!...

Victor had to be at the airport at 5am, so we took off after 45 minutes there; as it turned out most others were also moving off. The shovel was very kind to me and fired up first kick for what promised to be a super ride home.

At the bottom of Springbank Rd I pulled up alongside and bloke and a woman on sports bikes. We said g'day and then ended up riding home together right through to Old Noarlunga. As we approached the 100 k out of Darlington, he cracked on ahead and I gave the old girl and fist full and we were off up that hill like it was flat! The woman sat right on my tail. We proceeded to roar down the Expressway at a right royal pace, changing leadership periodically and passing everything in sight. Was really magic! The shovel took everything I gave her and just bored on like a dream. Waved goodbye and then I cruised the last few miles home, quite ecstatic. Reminded me of the good old days, when one rider or another would give his machine its head and the rest of us would blast off in pursuit. Best ride I've had for a long time. Pulled into home at 9.30pm. A short evening, but fun finally riding along side Victor with his new springer and especially made brilliant by the final 30 minutes.

Check our Facebook page for a clip of Victor cruising...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”