Starting small

Your shed is where it all happens! Just a single photo and caption please. Use "Your chopper project" for sets of photos and explanation of your project Send photos and comments to andrew@choppersaustrali.com
CASH_ONLY

Starting small

Post by CASH_ONLY » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:08 pm

here is the bike I got for $150, its only a small bike, but i am going to try and do it all by myself, never worked on a motorcycle before, but here goes!!

CASH

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... 174912.jpg
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... 174927.jpg
2002 TA SHADOW, it may be small, but it's my first I'm I've ever worked on myself, *#@** the factory's, do it in your garage!

wolfsbane
Interests: lots of stuff

Re: Starting small

Post by wolfsbane » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:43 pm

"Fear not death, for the hour of your doom is set and none may escape it."
Wassa - Goldy

CASH_ONLY

Post by CASH_ONLY » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:43 pm

how do I do that? cheers man
2002 TA SHADOW, it may be small, but it's my first I'm I've ever worked on myself, *#@** the factory's, do it in your garage!

CASH_ONLY

Post by CASH_ONLY » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:20 pm

Hey guys, is taking the speedo off as easy as undoing the cable? Is there anything I need to do to put it back on beside do the cable back up?

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:54 pm

at the top you probably just have to make sure the squared of cable end goes into the socket that it suits, and at the bottom its either the same or a slotted end that goes over a small blade in the drive.
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

CASH_ONLY

Post by CASH_ONLY » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Hey guys, if I have rebuilt the rear brakes and master cylinder, will it take a while to get break fluid through?

Tex

Post by Tex » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:39 pm

This can be your friend......

Work from the back upwards. Something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBk00597EyE
Tex
(Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional)

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Listen to Tex it will make it easier...and eig a honda they always take a while to build up pressure and remove air.
Loud pipes save lives

CASH_ONLY

Post by CASH_ONLY » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks fellas

CASH_ONLY

Post by CASH_ONLY » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:29 pm

all the above problems sorted, brakes finally done, now I am trying to work out how much oil I put in the fron forks, and what type??? I am trying to get it to rego standard before I stat modifying it, im getting quite the satisfaction out of doing it all myself tho, first bike ever i have touched with a spanner, thanks for the input this far huys....

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:02 pm

try 170mls as a start point- it'llonly be + or - 50mm on a bike that size
Loud pipes save lives

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:23 pm

Agreed +1.

If you have any ATF, (trans fluid) you can use that. Otherwise, bike shops have fork oil in litre bottles.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

CASH_ONLY

Post by CASH_ONLY » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:30 am

Today was d day, got new battery, all the above has been done, not even getting lights when bike is switched on, and when I switch the fuel tank on and fuel starts coming out a bottom hose??? Looks like the hose is coming out the bottom of the carb

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:50 pm

thats an overflow hose, chances are the carby float is sticking.....take the bowl off the carby and pull the float out, clean around in there (dont lose the needle under the float or it wont work again) usually honda carby floats are set to 15-17mm from the face of the bowl seat (carby turned over, measure to middle line of carby when it is at rest on the needle.....if it needs adjustment bend the little brass tab that sits on the needle until that middle line is the desired hieght (15-17mm)......

its causing your bike to flood, so doing this will make it run cleaner.

try a fuse for the key, probably under seat or sidecover.
Loud pipes save lives

CASH_ONLY

Post by CASH_ONLY » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks cromag, I tapped the carby with a hammer, no more fuel spilling out, as for the battery, took it back to the shop I brought it from and it was dead flat! So I've left it with them till tomorrow, fingers crossed...

If I can get it going I'll be rebound it, then I'll try my luck with the carburetor, that's a bit daunting to me ATM, don't really have a go to person for advice in Townsville, and havn't found what type of carb it is yet???

Thanks for your wise words once again guys, can't wait to start ripping un-necessary crap off my tiny bike, learning new stuff as I go.

Return to “In The Shed Pics”