Those Were The Days

Pics of Australian Forum Members'choppers in the 60's & 70's... post or email your photos and commentary to andrew@choppersaustralia.com
Stoand

Those Were The Days

Post by Stoand » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:46 pm

had some time to kill so thought I'd share some old pics of mine

Honda 4 before the full chop was done, circa 1978, wish I still had the hair!!..note the RM's and black cord Levi's!!!

XS650 circa 1980, broken rear fender strut on the way from SA to NSW, had to take all the gear off the back and fit me & the missus on the front of the seat and ride till we found a town with a welder

My '64 pan not long after I got it, circa 1981, at a party

SGT

Post by SGT » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:14 pm

Awsome pics. And that XS650 looks seriously cool.
Yep, those were the days.
"OK, so what's the speed of dark?"

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:05 pm

Nice pics mate!! :D

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:03 pm

Ugly is more than a state of mind!....Great pics.!!!

BobbaZooki

Post by BobbaZooki » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:03 pm

Just great photo's and memorie's especialy the pic with the XS , doing the repair work , in the background it's absolutly baron , just an old obselete Esso roadhouse ... and , why are you wearing a BSA t-shirt tucked into your cord's :P .. and do you still have the t-shirt .. very collectable 8)

chopperal

Post by chopperal » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:07 pm

Cool pics Dave.

I had the exact same hairstyle. Pity I don't have any pics tho :D

cheers, al :)

74chopper

Post by 74chopper » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:23 pm

great pix mate, very cool, im lucky enough to still have the same hair and boots hahaha.... thanx for posting them man.
Cheers Rob
750/4 choppers Rock

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:30 pm

Esso, Golden Fleece, Plume were common fuel names when I was first riding.
There were still some hand operated pumps in country towns in early 70's... you pumped a handle back on forth and the fuel pumped up into a glass bowl at the top that was marked in gallons. When you had put in the right number of gallons, you then drained the contents into your tank.

At any servo, you were not allowed to touch the pump... all done by the attendant. I insisted in doing my own... but the attendant always insisted on returning hose to pump before he took my money. A four gallon bike tank cost less than a dollar to fill... gosh, I sound like my dad!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:40 pm

I thought you might tell us you had a similiar Mane and boots...LOL.....

Dont forget Atlantic Petrol

Prof

Post by Prof » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Never had a mane... too much of a pain... keep it short and I don't have to spend too much tim e brushing it... have a beard for similar reason... waste of time shaving all the time.

I wore flying boots... see pics on Nullabor... nice and warm and tough... mates reckoned they were great for bashing in car doors on the run as well... usually in retaliation to coke cans and abuse from young hoods driving past.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

BobbaZooki

Post by BobbaZooki » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:14 pm

Yeah ..... and back then coke can's where made from tin / steel ... full or empty , they still hurt .. unlike today's can's .... and back then you had the choice of "drinking it here or take it away" .. the store keeper would loose the "return" deposit if you took the coke with you ..... and hand's up those of you who snunk around to the back of the store , where they kept there "empty's" , grabed a few , and then around to the front of the store , and cashed them in .... to buy 10c worth of hot chip's , with lashing's of salt n vinegar , all wraped up in the daily newspaper 8)

mick w

Post by mick w » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:37 pm

"AH" those were the days. problem is it reminds me how old i'm getting. mick w.

redbeard

Post by redbeard » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:23 pm

Cool rides, I still dig that 70's vibe though! "Not the britches but the scoots!"
you know I've noticed in this most curious world that anything is choppable, and what seems highly unlikely to chop is merely beyond the reach of ones own imagination!

pullmyfinga

Post by pullmyfinga » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Had a joker throw an empty stubby at me one night when I had a sidecar outfit. Thought he missed me 'till I got home and found my left leg all cut up. The stubby must have hit the front cross brace and shattered. Shotgun effect with broken glass,nice. Remember the huge Fosters cans you could buy ? Must have been the size of a long neck bottle.

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:46 pm

And they talked about bikers being trouble makers. Our bunch purposeyl kept away form trouble, but had cars play chicken, throw things at us.
One mate had a well dressed gent in a black Mercedes do his best to put him repeatedly into the gutter during peak hour traffic. Mate finally rode up the footpath and dodged pedestrians to get away from him... this in the main centtre of Adelaide... North Terrace to be axact!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Chopper pics from Oz past...”