Mate sent these...

Pics of Australian Forum Members'choppers in the 60's & 70's... post or email your photos and commentary to andrew@choppersaustralia.com
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Mate sent these...

Post by Prof » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Sam, a mate with whom I used to ride when I first had my licence sent me these pics out of his album.

The first two were taken on the same day when another mate had just bought an SLR camera (BIG dollars in those days when the rest of us were using instamatics).

The bike I'm wheelstanding was my first 'real' chopper; an Aermacchi HD. It had six inch over forks, a tank I built myself (with lots of bog... still have the tank!) a low seat I made and an aluminium rear guard and lucas taillight. I made some neice chrome struts and a chrome square tube sissy bar which is currently on my CB750. Footpegs were mounted forwards on down tubes I fabricated. Brake and gears changing was done with my heel. Heal gear changing was much quicker than toe changing.

After I'd done some wheel stands for the photographer, one of the other guys who was there asked to try and on his first go flipped it and busted the taillight! Didn't want to try again!

Big Al, the guy on the back of me with crutches broke his leg trying to get around a corner down near the old Adelaide bus depot at well over the advised speed. Come off the first time and scratched up his new XS650. The next week he tried the same thing and ended up with his leg busted as well. For the next six weeks I regualarly carted him around on the back of the chopper. He rode with crutches crossed and we got some great looks!

Girl on the left (yammie two fifty I think) has been around bikes all her life and still rides.

This is Big Al at I guess 16, with his first bike, a 500 Matchless. He bought it in town one Saturday morning and rocked up to our place with the muffler dragging on the ground. We fixed that and tidied a few other things. I rocked up to his place next day I think to go for a ride, but we spent an hour or so cleaning up and resetting points in the magneto before we could go anywhere. I distinctly remember sitting on the ground alongside the bike outside his place... quite a hot day. Magneto had been a nesting place for spiders and was full of dirt... amazing it got him home from the city.

Other bloke is Sam with I assume his first Trumpy. He had a few in his dad's shed in pieces that he was building... we were so young!

Another mate Kym... a great shot...

Mate Steve with his trumpy with 6" overs...

Remember long hair... a novelty at the time... easiest way to show we were anti establishment...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Re: Mate sent these...

Post by Youngblood » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:34 pm

8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

Bearcx

Re: Mate sent these...

Post by Bearcx » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:38 pm

Agreed. Way cool. 8)
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “Chopper pics from Oz past...”