70s dragster frame

Discuss your bike, modifications etc.
tigerbob

70s dragster frame

Post by tigerbob » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:46 pm

This is my brother's old pushbike from the late 70s. It was originally built from a 70s Chopper frame (similar to the one at the bottom) that ended up snapping just above the cranks. I built it for my younger brother when I was about 14.

When the frame snapped, we went to Custom Built Cycles (somewhere in Adelaide) to get a new frame. It cost $42 for a bare but painted frame ($38 unpainted). I then rebuilt the bike as you see here with 1" 'Ajays' (as we used to call the handle bars), racer seat, 3 speed planetary hub and an old (even then) whitewall front tyre. I have never seen any other 1" Ajays. I also put in new bearing races & bearings for the headstem (the frame didn't have any) & cranks.

Apart from the new frame & bearings, it was built entirely from scrounged or spare parts (much like chopper building).

At some stage my brother painted the forks silver and the headstem & front hub white...not sure why he did that! The rear tyre was replaced once during its lifetime after the original wore out but the front tyre seemed to last well.

Under the heading "things you don't see anymore", remember these valves...

...rubber pedals that aren't used to kickstart something (those cotter pins were always coming loose or breaking)...

...and 3 speed planetary gears.
I never had a gear changer to put on so we just put an appropriate sized nut in the selector at the hub to hold it in the desired gear. A rock would sometimes be used if the nut fell out and was lost.

This bike was in pretty good condition (always garaged) until about 8 years ago when I found my brother had left it out in the weather for about 3 or 4 years. It's back under cover now but the damage has been done.

I will restore this bike when I move back to Adelaide. My brother recently told me he put many miles on this bike over the 7 years he used it (until he turned 16), something that I never knew. I can tell by the angle of the bars that he must have been tall when he finished using it (he's about 6'3" now).

The original frame that broke was one of these:
I got a bare frame (no forks, wheels etc) and put on a 20" front wheel (instead of the original 16") mounted on 27" forks, a racer seat & cut down straight bars. The bike was painted lime green (hey, it was the70s remember)! The frame originally came from Darwin after surviving Cyclone Tracy.

'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

tigerbob

Re: 70s dragster frame

Post by tigerbob » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:23 pm

Spotted this one in Gouger St., Adelaide the other day.

'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

Return to “chopper push bike chat and pics”