Full size custom pushbike springer progress shnaps

Discuss your bike, modifications etc.
Timbo

Full size custom pushbike springer progress shnaps

Post by Timbo » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:48 pm

I've just started another bike in the same tradition as the other couple, with large diameter framework, wide wheels, low stance etc. This one's going to feature a springer front end which I've already started.

There's not really much to show yet but I thought I'd bang a couple of shots up here anyway in case anyone was interested.

The frame took a lot more deliberation than usual, now that it's complete it looks like a simple task, but I'd had those bends and joiners together, apart, short, long and in all sorts of combinations before this one was decided upon. I've welded this together and smoothed out the frame since this shot was taken, I'll post some snaps after I take em of the progress made.

I think bright red glossy paint and whitewalls might help the nostalgic look on this one, but it's only a thought, matt black seems to agree with me most of the time. Might run with some rediculously wide & smoothly curved western bars too.

Timbo
Rock on !

SimonJ18

Post by SimonJ18 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:53 pm

Mmmm..... The Gloss Red and whitewalls sounds nice!! Where did you pick up those springs Timbo? Springer front will be a very nice touch! as always, love ya work... keep it up mate 8)

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Springs

Post by Prof » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:37 pm

Simon, you can get springs made to your specs quite cheaply in steel or stainless steel at springmakers. There are at least five in Adelaide. I had six made the other day... stailness, 170mm long x10mm ID... $10 ea. If I'd had 20 made they would have been $6 ea.

Tinbo, looknig forward to you having a go at a motorized job. Why don't you set up a 50cc job?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:00 pm

Simon, yeah the springs were just generic pieces from dirty Bunnings. Andrews suggestion might come into play if these ones prove either too soft or too hard and I cant get the rebound/feel right with the lower arm lengths and axle positioning.

Andrew, a few reasons for the no motors, I already have a harley so the riding bug is fed whenever I need, so theres no real rush.

I often ride these bikes down to the shop on early morning milk runs, the exercise is doing me good !! :)

I've identified and almost bought a couple of little 50-80cc kits which come complete with tank, throttle control, mounting brackets, exhaust, muffler, sprockets, chain etc already to go. Problem being, while I was talking to the importer I took notice of a story where a character had one of these little kits on his bike and was using it, the fuzz caught up with him and the fine was $650. I suspect he was being annoying and probably riding it like a dickhead when busted, but the thought of constantly having to have an escape route organised while I ride along would withdraw from the relaxation factor, if you know what I mean.

I'm really building these bikes to show the missus this isn't a fad I'm going through, and slowly gathering quality tools along the way to enable me to step up to the pan project. The feedback I'm recieving with these toys has been all good, and theyre only getting better, so the longer I persist with these, the better off I'll be when the time comes to justify the purchase of a donor harley for the real deal. Sort of playing my cards right and not rushing in. A few of the chopper projects here on the forum keep me going, but it is frustrating in some ways waiting as I've got so many build ideas in my mind ready to go.

Tim

the kits were $220
Rock on !

SimonJ18

Post by SimonJ18 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:14 pm

Yeah i know a spring manufacturer can make me springs up, but i thought they looked pre made off the shelf, good old bunnings hey... let us know how they go timbo!

I have delt with industrial springs on port road for years whilst i was managing the Jap Import Yard. They have never let me down, always good quality and have always looked after me price wise.

Prof

o

Post by Prof » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:32 pm

Under stand your approach Timbo. Glad the website is helping you keep your focus. Hoped there would be a lot of other chopper pushbikes on this forum, but aside form trying to enthuse a couple of bike shops in Adelaide that sell chopper pushbikes I haven't done a lot so shouldn't complain.
By the way, Does your missus come on the back of your Harley? Mine comes most places with me, shopping and short and long runs. On longer stuff after a day of riding she prequently goes to sleep on the back and feels safe doing it as she is tucked in between me and a nice highback seat!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:25 pm

Andrew, you are a funny man indeed with your choice of words !

As a rule, no she doesnt, the seat on the nightrain I ride is minimalist, comfortable for pillions on short barhops only. The ride's also a tad rough, the pipes are too loud and she freaks when the pegs scrape on the occasional corner. We do cruise occasionally but not often, as for sleeping, never!! It's not a problem in my eyes as I prefer to blast around with the fellas, split lanes and give it full noise when I deem necessary for the complete experience.

If you want to read on I can tell you about the mod's I've made to the machine itself. The mufflers have been replaced with the slashcut style with minimal baffles. The intake/carby has had 3 mods, the throttle spring has been cut down for a lighter feel, the jet has been upsized, and a spacing ring placed at the top of the slide pin whereby it doesn't sit as low and it's almost partially open at rest. The air cleaner has been drilled out like swiss cheese around the back of the intake to take more air also. These things in conjunction with each other creat a light feel to the wrist, instant throttle response & more fuel flow to produce more torque and HP. It has been lowered 2 inches in the rear, indicators are black as black, the risers are 1.5 inches longer than standard ( 8 in total ) so I dont have to reach too far for the drag bars. It's entirely colorless comprising only black and chrome. As great as it is I don't think it really qualifies as a chopper so I haven't posted any shots anywhere else in this forum.

Tim

I'll take the cover off it next time I shoot the frame progress photos.
Rock on !

david 101

Hi

Post by david 101 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:15 pm

Timbo if your ride looks half as good as those radical pushies you make it should be sweet. love your way of thinking,wild imagination and your work is out there keep it up.
Taz

Prof

yeah

Post by Prof » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:18 pm

I like the occasional blast, but go too fast and I can't hear the world's most glorious sound! I do wear out my pipes and primary case, but my bike is also pretty low. But as you say, gotto do it when the missus is not about! Not hard for me as I do regularly take off after tea for an hour or so.

How about a bit about yourslelf on g'day folks forum. ie most of what youve covered in these posts and include a photo of yourself on your bike.

Yep its a chopper site, but as an active forum member a pic of you and your bike are most welcome.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:20 pm

Thanks for the kind words Simon & Tazipom, yeah ok Andrew I'll get my bum into gear and organise something for the folks forum.
Rock on !

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:48 am

Here's how this springer is going to look
The parts I've made are complete except for the spring retainers, nuts & bolts.
The frame is taking shape
I decided to add some extra character to the frame, but I won't do it again, too much work.

Heres a shot of my harley, though not really a chopper like I've said before, so I won't post it up in the other forums. Sits nicely after the lowering kit was installed.

You can see the riser extensions here and the black indicators

In my eyes you just can't beat the black and chrome combination !!!!!
Rock on !

SimonJ18

Post by SimonJ18 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:11 pm

Those accent pieces may have been fiddly and taken a bit to do Timbo but i think details like that make all the difference :) Likin ya HD, i really dig the black/matt black and machined finish 8) Are you going to chrome or paint the springer? looks tough :P

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:09 pm

I'll have it chromed, I've spent a bit of time on it so it may as well look it's best when finished. Simon I think you're a spraypainter if what I remember from your profile is right. Got any tips for a decent finish on this frame ? I'm a pretty bad painter and have just used spray cans up until now, this one I want a bit of a deeper color and durable finish ?

If you could shed some light on the subject that would be great 8)

Timbo.
Rock on !

ShovelShane

Post by ShovelShane » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:07 pm

Hey Timbo looks like another top notch pushie chop comin along there. The idea ya have with slowly easing the missus into the idea of a pan chop is definately the way to go :wink: Gotta keep em thinking they run the roost to keep em happy. Love the NIght Train, Have always had a thing for the simple yet sinister looking colour scheme, How can ya beat using different shades of black to make a statement. Keep up the top effort and hopefully the pan chop isn't too far away from being a reality.

P.S With the vibes on the old shovel i just about come everywhere i go on mine aswell lmfao

david 101

niight train

Post by david 101 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:03 am

Well Timbo as I said if your ride was half as good as your pushies. I think it comes on par.That's a real sweet ride & I agree, you cant beet BLACK & CROME on a bike.
Taz

Return to “chopper push bike chat and pics”