Full size custom pushbike springer progress shnaps

Discuss your bike, modifications etc.
Skip
Interests: My beautiful wife...our dogs..shooting..motor bikes..Aussie Rules..tattoos

Awesome

Post by Skip » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:56 pm

Have silently followed your progress...top stuff Timbo, if that's what you do with a pushie then I look forward to your m'bike projects.
Catch 'ya Skip
Decide..go for it..stuff 'em

SGT

Post by SGT » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:25 am

I agree, some great work went into that bike and the others that you have in the garage. Quality end result to.
"OK, so what's the speed of dark?"

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Semispringer

Post by Prof » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:25 am

Interesting front end for you to look at Timbo. Out of "Motorcycle World" 1971. I'm planning something similar, but straight legs and longer rockers. Upon contemplation of Blackjack's suggestion I think round tube in clamped triple trees does make a lot of sense...
As mudguards are required in Oz, I'll run front stay (5/16" round bar) off rocker inside of shocker and rear stay directly off rear of rocker. This will keep guard a constant distance from wheel and minimise the ugliness of mudguard stays. I prefer to go alloy or chrome for my front mudguards as I think they are less obtrusive than painted ones.

Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:00 pm

Yeah, Andrew, this front end is bazerk.
The long slow bend for trail correction instead of longer rocker arms. Theres actually a pic in a thread somewhere else on this forum with a similar yet reverse suspension setup, I was looking foreward to your comments as to me it looks like the springs have been installed incorrectly and I was looking for confirmation or rebuttal about it.

The mudguard idea sounds great, it'll make people take a second look as it will slowly move around your wheel as it operates. It'll take a bit of getting used to I'm sure. look foreward to seeing it.

Timbo

PS did you like the pushie springer ? or did you prefer to say nothing in case it would cause offence ? :)
Rock on !

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:40 pm

No Timbo. I think you've done a very thorough and very neat job. And... it's a good way to work out mechanical aspects of a springer.

Main change I personally (note "I personally") would have made would be to follow through a theme from front to back...
ie with scimitar style rockers shape your triple trees similarly and do the same with your sissy bar etc.

Rather than run holes through that bracket, curve it to match rockers.

If you run holes through a bracket, then follow that theme in other places.

If you have a rounded sissy bar and seat, round off your triple trees and rockers and have rounded handle bars. If you have angular bars, your sissy bar, seat, springer etc will all look "more together" if they are more angular too.

Aim of doing this is so that a person first looking at your bike, will see a whole bike and not have their eye taken to one part that is different. This applies to all objects... eg note how much effort a woman makes to coordinate her all the parts of her evening outfit.

Treat your chopper as a piece of sculpture... The viewer should see the "whole" bike first with out distractions and then looks for the detail which should be consistent across the bike.

Another example could be running a square sissy bar... then follow that pattern with square front legs on the springer, square footpegs, square mirror stalks etc and even a angular paint them. A square bar pattern on the seat would fit in better than say flames.

The overall effect is most pleasing to the eye when the bike flows from front to back and is balanced.

This is one advantage of home building your chopper and fabricating all your parts over buying bolt on parts... you can keep everything consistent.

Amazing how just a few small changes can balance a bike.

Because Michael's Sportster is going to be a very practical day to day chopper I have have kept it simple. I would have liked to make a more interesting sissy bar, but with pull backs (nice rounded curves) a rounded sissy bar looks better. Some fancy moulding and scallops on the tank and frame would have been really "up my alley" but not suited to the rest of the bike. As a result, I think the bike comes together as a consistent whole and that is what pleases the eye.

On Bazza's Triumph I tried to follow through a pointed leaf theme and would have carried it over in a few more places, but he wasn't so keen. Ie headlight backet, gusset between down tubes, springer front leg gusset, rear footpgeg brackets and sissy bar all have small points. I would have followed this through with a pointed back on the seat, foot peg mounts, rear guard , scalloped tank etc
ImageImage
Hopefully these pics give some idea of what I am saying about following a theme.

My main point in all the above is to encourage all you chopper builders out there to look at your chopper as a sculpture and a WHOLE item. Then what ever you choose to do you will do because you know what you are doing and why.
Anyway Timbo, I think you've done a great job. Hope some of the above gives you some further ideas for future creations and perhpas makes you just a bit (or even more) more pleased with your next job.

Happy to explain more if this is not very clear.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof

Reverse

Post by Prof » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:41 pm

Timbo re those reverse springs... Can't remember what post they were in. Yes they do work on tension rather than compression... can only assume the shockers are designed that way... did seem to recall the main springs looked a little minimal.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:34 pm

This the one your talking about?

Prof

Post by Prof » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:10 pm

Yep Bacca. That's it.

Here's another springer that hit the market in around 1972 . Sorry about the poor quality, but spring acts under tension and runs up inside rear leg. No damping of course. You can jsut see the short connector from the rear of the rocker up into the leg...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:23 pm

have a look at this blokes work, nice job http://www.thechopperunderground.com/fo ... r+progress

Cheers all.

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:46 pm

http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... .php?t=672
Bacca, Andrew, Pommychop, the bike is the last one in this thread here.
Rock on !

Violent_Jay

Post by Violent_Jay » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:25 pm

Just had to say that is one more awsum job Timbo,thats the best and most original bike(s) i think ive ever seen :)
Cheers Jay

Return to “chopper push bike chat and pics”