Coordinators & a bit about decision making

Club news and general news of interest to chopper owners and riders...

Moderator: Prof

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Coordinators & a bit about decision making

Post by Prof » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:18 pm

Currently, in their respective states, coordinators are responsible for keeping in touch with members, getting ideas and feedback from them, keeping a small amount of merchandise and overseeing any state C/A activities. I will appreciate being able to use them (plus merchandise oficer) as a sounding board.

Coordinators also carry member application forms and A6 sized handouts.

Merchandise at this stage consists of shirts, cloth member patches, beanies, bumper stickers, calendars and logo stickers and spare newsletters. In the near future I hope to provide them with as well as some chopper videos and DVD's. As C/A membersip grows they should also be able to carry Tshirts etc.

If you have any ideas for C/A, pass them on to your coordinator who can then canvass other state members.

The position of coordinator is a voluntary position and is reviewed after 12 months. This allows them to relinquish the job without obligation and provides opportunity for others to take on the role.

I have asked coodinators to keep a record of their phone call costs with a view to reimbursement if they require it. As a small way of compensating their time and effort, I have offered each coordinator a free T shirt and annual membership.

Decision making...

There are not really any 'earth shattering' decions to be made , but a note on how C/A decisions are made is worthwhile at this point.

Any ideas that come within C/A guidelines, ethics etc are presented to entire membership via website and newsletter with plenty of time allowed for to and fro discussion and reflection (Having state coordinators should make this approach easier and more efficient). If after due consideration, and if no one has any major objections, and it is financially practical we will generally go ahead. With some of the smaller housekeeping type decisions (and before making final decision on things that have been discussed by members), I normally discuss them with coordinators and merchandise officer before making a final decision.

Nothing is set in concrete (except the C/A guidelines and ethics...) an example being revisiting the "member" on T shirts. Aim is to have a club that with in the established guidelines promotes choppers and services its members as well as possible. Obviously we will need to be flexible as CA grows. Always remember, that your input is not just welcomed, but looked for at all times, so if you have any suggestions contact your state coordinator or myself.

In the future I would like to see some funds from membership in each state stay there. However at this stage, we are still trying to build up a reasonable reserve for bulk printing of shirts and other merchandise.

Clubs often come to grief over spending of funds and decision making... which often boils down to one or two people promoting themselves at the expense of others... and the more members the greater the potential...

As members let's often remind ourselves that what we have become a part of is a service and support network. There is no place for putting your mates under obligation or promoting yourselves... and no place for "attitude".

We all have ideas that seem great until someone else either makes our idea even better or shows it is flawed or wrongly timed. Problems often stem from a person presenting an idea that whilst good fo0r the club, remains in their mind as THEIR idea... It is then hard for them to let go of it and alow others to improve it. We all have this challenge at one time or another! Put your idea forward and let it go. If it is good, if it gets improved... you still have the private satisfaction that you started something to benefit others.

If we can all "be cool" with this approach, I think we will always have an organisation to be proud to be a part of and a great place to send other chopper enthusiasts with out hesitation.

Remember too that if some one has upset you, see them in private... most of the time it's unintentional. Don't air private disagreements to the rest of the members. If it's something you think may affecft the club... talk privately with your state coordinator or myself.

As they say, freedom isn't automatic... it has to be maintained. We can all do our bit by remembering the essence of motorcycling and even more so, chopper riding is freedom not control... keep to that and we can't go wrong.

No doubt as time goes on, the state coordinators roles will be refined, but my special thanks to Shaun and Al for their wilingness to take this role.

Their contributions to C/A before their appointment have been much appreciated and were a major indication to me of their suitabiltiy for the role.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:37 am

Just a note to let you know that I have added a bit more to decision making section in the post above...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Latest info...”