Slugs & forks...

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to any make.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Slugs & forks...

Post by Prof » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:55 pm

Extending telescopic forks with slugs is not the best long term solution, but is an economical way of testing your prefered fork length. For example, when I chopped my Shovel, I added 4" slugs to see how I would like it. Having ridden it for some time I now want another two inches length.

With slugs on forks, keep within triple trees and put a couple light bits of weld on join to prevent loosening or suse a very strong locktight. If you need to pull out springs in future you can neatly cut into weld.

Slugs are not looked upon favourabley by some authorities, but I have ridden with them on a number of bikes for years without problems.

To hide join, find a piece of exhaust pipe whose ID is just larger than fork OD. You can make up differnce with duct tape to stop rattling. May not be super fancy but is an economical cover, that means your forks won't attract unnecessary attention.

It is important that you check tightness periodically.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

chef

Re: Slugs & forks...

Post by chef » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:47 pm

Just wondering if there is a legal limit on them , im just getting 3" ones for my vf750c hoping it wont attract too much unwanted attention, or am i better off just to try to cover them up like you suggested

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Fork slugs are ilegal in Victoria as i found out after buying my cbx chop, it had two inch slugs between the trees hidden with chrome vinyl sticker, due to legal reasons and i wanted to level out the bike i removed them. But as my bike has cow catcher headers which i love it needed 40mm custom top caps to clear the headers totally hidden in the top tree.
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/dg6oo2/015.jpg
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Nothing specific about slugs in ADr's that I am aware of... but state inspectors can go a bit funny when they see them so a nice piece of polished stainless tube (go to an exhaust manufacturer) that just fits between the triple trees is your best bet.

The sugs on my shovel have been on for years now and were simply locktighted on. They have never shifted and the bike gets to go over a lot of rough dirt roads (and sealed ones for that matter) and I have weathered a few obstacles on the road that have made no impresson on the slugs. As said in my initial post, keep slugs within the trees and with at least an inch of original fork tube showing above the bottom triple tree and you will be fine.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

chef

Post by chef » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:01 am

thanks for the info guys ( nice lookin bike too dg love the frame) think ill do as you suggest prof and go to an exhaust shop and get some covers, as you say they will give me an idea of how far i want to go with it.

xsive

Post by xsive » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:03 pm

did you buy the slugs yet ?if not give me a yell as i have a set that i bought for a vt750 2004 but thread pitch wrong for my mdel may fit yours
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

chef

Post by chef » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:50 pm

no i havnt payed for them yet , was waiting on a reply with postage price etc( prob after holidays)
what size are the ones you got?

Return to “Fits 'n Bits; general...”