Tool Kit...

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to any make.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Tool Kit...

Post by Prof » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:56 pm

What should you carry in your tool kit?
I suggest two kits... one for local riding and one for longer trips.

1. To end up with the right tools... As you start assembling your chopper, put aside each spanner, screwdriver, pliers, special tool etc you use. Keep these separate to the rest of your tools... an easy way is to mark them so you know which ones to keep separate. This way when out on the road and something comes loose, you are not caught without the one tool you needed!

2. Remember to include... plug spanner and feeler guage (or pre cut gauges... I use two filed down dollar coins, one for points and one for plugs... always got $2 in case of emergency!) Other special tools may include shortened, lengthened, thinned or bent spanners for a particlular hard to reach bolt. I carry a special washer to keep my clutch springs together in case I have to dismantle clutch. A circuit tester (globe type) is very worthwhile.

3. Things that go bump in the night... Chain link, spare fuses, spare tail light and head light globes (If you have sealed beam, go to semi sealed with globe), spare plugs, points and condenser (if not electronic). Spare throttle cable unless yours is very new (you can keep going with out a clutch cable but a busted throttle cable is a real pain. In lieu of spare cables carry appropriate sized small threaded pins that can replace cable ends. Spare clutch lever is handy in case of a minor crash. Selection of common (or most crucial) screws, bolts and nuts is worthwhile if you have a higher vibration bike.

4. Bits and pieces... Also a small length of packing wire, 10' of electrical wire and a small roll of electrical tape, duct ape (also doubles as bandaging) and a couple of lengths of baling twine. I have enough room under passenger seat to hlde a 10' length of rope for towing. Used it a year ago on a mate's bike that wouldn't start, well out of Pt Wakefield... tow started him. Pack a couple of pieces of rag and some detergent for cleaning off grease after freeing your chain of that piece of fencing wire that some kind soul left on the road! Keep your petrol hoses in good shape or carry a spare length along with a spare hose clamp.

5. Ouch... Carry a triangular bandage, a couple of large feminine pads (for deep wounds) and some elastic bandage and a few safety pins.

6. Be prepared... If you go out at night carry a small torch (with charged batteries!) Know how you would get off either wheel and mend a puncture on the Hay Plain if you are a travelling man... carry a puncture kit. Glue dries up so check it periodically. Silicone squirted with a syringe into a nail hole in a tubeless tire will temporarilly seal a puncture.

7. Poor mans Fairing... Put your longer trips tool kit in a canvas bag with a couple of garbags (they take up very little room but are great if caught in the rain). I carry my water proofs and a jumper (in one of the garbags) up front. All this above your headlight and against your handle bars provides a nice wind break on those longer rides, but can stay off during your shorter trips.

This sound over the top ? Well maybe, but it is nice to be able to get back on the road with a minimum of fuss. Years ago mates going to Bathurst Races holed a piston on their Trumpy. Pulled heads and barrels off and raced into a large nearby town, got a piston and put bike back together and got to the races. Another time a piece of plug ended up hammering around the combustion chamber. Same story... a few hours and we were back on the road. How about losing your rear chain at 1am twenty miles from anywhere and 100 miles from home. Put in the spare link I always carried and got home with out bothering anybody or sitting around in the cold waiting for morning. Having tools and spares aint silly.
Last edited by Prof on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Jedi

Post by Jedi » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:52 pm

A mobile phone and a credit card will fix anything :D

SimonJ18

Post by SimonJ18 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:06 pm

A satellite phone for long trips, if ya own a hardley Davidson!

I had a look today into buying a Satellite phone for my road trip up the eastern states in october, Jeez those suckers are expensive!

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Phone

Post by Prof » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:27 pm

But you're riding a Honda... you don't need a phone! But seriously guys, a phone won't fix your bike and how long do you expect to wait on the road side?

Fellow came up today on his son's near new bike. Everytime he hit the starter a contact breaker went and it took five minutes for ignition to come back on. With all the plastic covers and masses of wires, finding the fault was quite daunting..
On every bike I get, I always rip out wiring loom and start from scratch... simple short runs and no unnecessaries and each circuit on a fuse and everything accessable...

Aside form obvious benefits, I also know my wiring system and can find any faults that develop a lot easier... I especially know there are ONLY THREE wires in the headlight!!!!!!!!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

david 101

down time

Post by david 101 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:53 am

Try 4hrs 10 k's out of Blanchtown waiting for the RAA to find me. Got there at 2am and near froze my backside off waiting. if not for a pile of wood and a little petrol... and the RAA thought I was jokeing when I told them to look for the Bonfire. If only I'd had the right tools with me.
Taz

dg6oo2

Re: Tool Kit...

Post by dg6oo2 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:17 pm

I have to agree a phone is good but a correct toolkit is even better, i got caught at eastland carpark i went to pickup some stuff for my dad got back to the bike, kitted up lights on no starter after checking fuses and the usual i remembered a thread from the aero forum about the starter switches clapping out so i ripped it apart and bingo the little contacts had melted into the plastic and locked up, so i bent the contacts got it started and went home staight away to fix properly.
Also i took out a magpie one time and it blew my headlight no worries pulled into a servo and bought a new one, only problem was i didn,t have a knife to cut open the plastic packaging i even tried in desperation to chew the bastard open. Luckily a bloke stopped and asked if i needed help and i did, 5 mins later i was mobile again now i have a knife in my toolkit.
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

latelifecrisis

Re: Tool Kit...

Post by latelifecrisis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:33 pm

well one could just have a DoA in tow and all problems will be solved :)
I am blond

Return to “Fits 'n Bits; general...”