Brake Hose

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to any make.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
Aussiehard

Brake Hose

Post by Aussiehard » Tue May 31, 2011 5:01 pm

I need new brake hoses for my '74 Yamaha XS650. Spoke to yamaha today and they can't supply.

I'm in Eastern Suburbs Melbourne any ideas where I can get a kit or some made up to suit??? Some thing interchangeable?

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Tue May 31, 2011 6:30 pm

The expensive route would be Enzed, pirtek or any hydraulic hose maker that comes to your door, on the other hand check U.S Ebay you might find some repop ones there that mail worldwide and the Aussie dollar is strong at the moment!

ShovelShane

Post by ShovelShane » Tue May 31, 2011 11:08 pm

i saw in ad in a magazine the other week for braidedhoses.com.au if you look on their site they will have locations all over Oz. I rang the local one here who happens to be mobile but he has informed me that I can save on the call out fee if I go to his place to get the job done. Give them a try you might get a nice surprise.

By the way they are all ADR approved hoses which isn't always the case with some companies.
See no Evo, Hear no Evo, Ride no Evo

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks Guys, I have sent emails to:

HEL Performance Products,
Queensland

and

local distributors of braidedhoses.com.au

I will see what they come back with and then if req try Enzed, pirtek.

In general if the brake hoses need replacing is their any other associated parts that need to be replaced at same time.

I know that often if you replace a part you need to replace others in the system even if they show no signs of wear. Due to the replaced part being new makes the other parts in question the weak link and may cause them to fail……….

Did I make sense?……..It did to me……..

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:44 am

Not ususally the case with brakes. Rubber hoses seem to have a shortish life compared with other components.

If there are no leaks behind the master cylinder where the brake rod pushes into it or around the calipe,r the seals in there are ok.

If your brake pads drag it can be that the square seal around the caliper piston is worn. It is square so that as the piston pushes out against the brake pad, the rubber seal twists slightly. When pressure is realeased the twist draws the piston back slightly to clear the brake disc (rotor) so there is no drag.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

DOA

Post by DOA » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 pm

yeah its always good to replace the copper washers when replacing hoses. if its a hel set it should come with washers and possibly banjo bolts.
ride like you stole ya bike.
love like you will only ever do it once.
live like your a different age.

Return to “Fits 'n Bits; general...”