Best Deals on Helmets

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to any make.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
Aussiehard

Best Deals on Helmets

Post by Aussiehard » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:28 am

I think it is time I retired my old lid and replaced her with something a bit newer and safer. I have a nolan plastic helmet which is at least 18yrs old. I think your supposed to replace em after 5yrs.

Where do you guys recommend to buy a helmet for the best deal?

Any brands to avoid?

Benefits of some lids over others.

Safety and fitting are well covered in a sticky on here so no need to go into depth on that side of things.

Thoughts please?

gsand
Interests: Riding bikes.

Post by gsand » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 am

I have a newish THH that I wear sometimes, they are comfy and lightweight, cheap and they do em in flake.

most of the time however I use a 1972 shoei s22 or a even older Arthur Fulmer blue/ silverflame metalflake.

or the Bell Moto4..... I could go on....

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:21 am

new coat of matt black and a beanie....
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

gsand

Post by gsand » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 pm

glad we are all safety orientated here :)

If you are after a cool "approved" helmet, Biltwell makes great lids at an amazing price, flat colours and the brightest flake helmets. They are DOT approved, not ADR, but at least you know they do their job as a helmet.

http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php?l= ... _list&c=32

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:47 pm

gsand wrote:glad we are all safety orientated here :)

If you are after a cool "approved" helmet, Biltwell makes great lids at an amazing price, flat colours and the brightest flake helmets. They are DOT approved, not ADR, but at least you know they do their job as a helmet.

http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php?l= ... _list&c=32
It appears only the 3 flat colors are Dot approved the flake helmets are listed as novelty.

gsand

Post by gsand » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:33 pm

Thats a bugger, my mind was on one of its wonderful journeys!

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Forget Biltwell in Oz, unless you like tickets and having your insurance voided after an accident becasue you weren't wearing an approved helmet.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Neo Dutch wrote:Forget Biltwell in Oz, unless you like tickets and having your insurance voided after an accident becasue you weren't wearing an approved helmet.
On what basis?

Is it because it only has DOT and not ADR stamp?

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Aussiehard wrote:
Neo Dutch wrote:Forget Biltwell in Oz, unless you like tickets and having your insurance voided after an accident becasue you weren't wearing an approved helmet.
On what basis?

Is it because it only has DOT and not ADR stamp?
All helmets worn on the road in Australia must be manufactured to the Australian standard and have the poorly applied compliance sticker on it as well as one on the inside.

Basically, if it doesn't have one of these stickers (usually SAI Global) it's illegal regardless of make or quality. Removing the sticker from your helmet also renders it illegal.

Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks for the info.

Sucks that you have to have the sticker on the outside when they are ugly and often lazily applied so not straight, centred etc. You would think proper internal tags etc would suffice.

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:50 am

I have been looking for a new open face helmut myself, but i was looking for one with the quick release buckle not the double d clips , yes i,m being lazy anyway after reading this thread i will have to be more observant, just as a note though how are the pudding bowl style helmuts legal or are they just dot approved and not adr approved.
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:22 am

AMX on Keilor park drive in Keilor has a good range of lids. Also try Peter Stevens in Melbourne. They have a huge range. If your up in Keilor, give me a buzz, I live around the corner.
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:27 am

BTW, Neo is spot on. No sticker, no insurance, not roadworthy and the cops blitz this thing from time to time. I think it's even worth a point or two.
DOT approval doesn't apply here, we're far too special.
If you've got a ten dollar head, wear a ten dollar helmet, as they say.
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Brassy

Re: Best Deals on Helmets

Post by Brassy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:40 pm

There is RXT open face helmets at Tune 'n' Choppers for $80 they are very light and Australian safety standards approved, I have one of those and a THH skid lid and the open face is far lighter and less geeky lookin. :mrgreen: Thus the misses wears the lid !
Why does everything I eat taste like 50 weight ?

KBG

Re: Best Deals on Helmets

Post by KBG » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:38 pm

You could always pull the sticker off a cheap approved helmet and stick it on
a biltwell, if you had to have one!
some meaningless dribble

Return to “Fits 'n Bits; general...”