Rusty screws

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to any make.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
doobinator

Rusty screws

Post by doobinator » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:00 pm

Now that I have your attention :lol: well actually this post is about rusty screws. I am having a bit of an issue and have come to a bit of halt on my project because this thing has the most rusty nuts, bolts and screws I have ever seen. I assume it's because it spent a great deal of its life on the Gold Coast and wasn't looked after very well or it was ridden into the ocean. Anyway back to the problem, nuts and bolts aren't as big an issue but all the little screws and bolts with phillips heads are just rounding out. Obviously because the metal is rusting it's weakening and as soon as you put some pressure on it to break the thread and start turning it just rounding out. Any advice on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated. Oh and apologies if this is the wrong place to start this thread, wasn't too sure where it belonged.

junior123

Re: Rusty screws

Post by junior123 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:25 pm

mate, I'm not sure if there is anything you can do to salvage them. But if you only want to remove them, then you might have to drill them out. Sucks I know

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:10 pm

Use lots of RP7 or simular (leave over night if rust is real bad) and get yourself a cheap impact screwdriver, they work quite well. Heat also works well if you have an oxy or as a last resort you will have to drill them out. :)
Youngblood

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:13 am

An impact driver as long as you use the right size screw tip usually works. If you don't have an impact driver, half a dozen very hard hits on the screw driver with a decent hammer can also work. As already said RP7or diesel left over night.

It's very hard to get enough heat into a small screw without melting the alloy.... especially on jap side covers as the threads are often 30plus mm away but it is effective where a nut is reachable. Nuts can also be turned with a chisel hammered against the flats.

Sometimes a piece of steel bar or a second bolt can be welded onto the top of a rounded nut or bolt head.

Turning a phillips head screw into a slot head with an angle grinder and 1mm cutting blade ic possible.

A quality nut spoitter has its uses on stubborn nuts. I've often found cheap impact driver bits are too hard and crack off on their first job, so I would acvocate getting a quality one... I'm still using one I bought 20 years ago and it gets a beating.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

markee

Post by markee » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:00 am

Are you using an impact screwdriver? If not, interweb would have details/videos of how they work. Not all that expensive & would be invaluable for what you are doing.
In summary it has a spring setup inside,you thump end with a hammer & it breaks the crap to loosen screw=hopefuilly!!!!
MAKE SURE IS SET UP CORRECTLY FOR LOOSEN/TIGHTEN

doobinator

Post by doobinator » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:13 am

Thanks guys, sounds like an impact driver is the go. I don't mind forking out for quality and judging by what I have found as I have taken more bits off its going to get plenty of use.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:46 pm

On another bike forum i used to visit, they did a survey on the best kind of rusty bolt "loosener". the usual suspects (in a can) were the most common, but, the winner was a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone. Haven't tried it myself, but, apparentlu it works a treat. Can be applied with a brush/screwdriver/syringe or poured down a rubber hose, then leave over night.

You could also try tightening the screws first, (to "crack" the threads) the faces of the phillps/flat insert are usually only damaged when undoing....

As stated, screwdrivers with a tang that goes all the way thru the handle are great for giving a sharp whack with a hammer.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

doobinator

Post by doobinator » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Well after rounding another two screws its time to put the tools down and take some deep breaths before frustration turns to anger. Its going to be a lot longer than I expected before this thing is on the road. The old saying a fool and is money are soon parted is starting to ring in my ears.

Return to “Fits 'n Bits; general...”