crossed thread

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to Hondas.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
shane

crossed thread

Post by shane » Thu May 03, 2007 7:31 pm

now i've stuffed it. ive cross threded one of me plugs. plug is out,but thread on head stuffed. and i mean stuffed. would it be easier/cheaper to fit a new head,or have it rethreaded? has anyone used that thread repair goo,any good? is it best to remove head before attempting any fix it proceedure? am thinking of taking head off,and useing a die set to rethread it. starting from the bottom,as it's the top couple of threads that are stuffed. HEELLP! :cry:
goals always achieved,but not always the right ones set.

Biggaz

Post by Biggaz » Thu May 03, 2007 8:02 pm

Hi shane I think you can use helicoils in plug threads
Choppers Are Real Rides

shane

cross thread

Post by shane » Thu May 03, 2007 8:10 pm

thats great biggaz. whats a helicoil,and where do i get one.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Helicoil...

Post by Prof » Thu May 03, 2007 8:50 pm

This is the sort of thing you are looking for... This is for redoing 5/16 UNF. Comes with a thread tap for the stainless coils that provide the new thread, set of coils, a tool to drive them in and a tool to remove the tang. An instruction sheet includes drill bit size needed to drillout old thread.

Image Image

I went to grab my set for doing plugs and I realise I've loaned it out and its still out...oops!

Plug thread set I use is a bit different and has a solid section to be threaded in.

CBC Bearings has always been well priced. Take in your plug so you get correct set up and get them to show you the options.

Removing head is best, so you don't end up with loose aluminium shavings in the cylinder.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Biggaz

Post by Biggaz » Fri May 04, 2007 10:23 am

Shane if what andrew has posted doesnt help, use your pc and google helicoil i just went in and theres heaps of info and even a step by step how to on the subject
Choppers Are Real Rides

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Fri May 04, 2007 1:04 pm

Did it once on a kwaka single, still holding 20 yrs later to my knowlege...

shane

cross thread

Post by shane » Sat May 05, 2007 7:27 am

thanks for the input. turns out on of the cleaners at the shopping centre i patrol is a fitter/turner by trade. guess what, after 3 words into the explanation, same suggestion. reckons super cheap auto + bunnings stocks them locally. let the fun begin.

Pigbody23t

Post by Pigbody23t » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:18 am

aye i have them in stock and sell em for 76.00
www.robbos.com.au
All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:08 am

Some cool photos of rods and a nice chopper.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

ShovelShane

Post by ShovelShane » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:09 am

another option since you are already going to be taking the head off is to have it welded up and re machined. I had a Helicoil let go on my Shovel which resulted in me copping a spark plug in the back of the leg at rather high speed (REALLY BIG OUCH). I really didn't trust the idea of another Helicoil after that and as it worked out it only cost me $50 to get the whole job done properly without the fear of having another plug fly out and hit me.
See no Evo, Hear no Evo, Ride no Evo

Return to “Fits'n Bits; Honda...”