Honda 750/ 4 motor rebuild.

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to Hondas.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
KO 69 Chopper

Honda 750/ 4 motor rebuild.

Post by KO 69 Chopper » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:04 pm

Hi all
Ive been having trouble getting the honda KO 750/4 running right.
Could be electrical( replaced coils and generator ), could be fuel ( old dirty carbs, hard carb rubbers with leaky fuel line ) could be air intake through ill fitting santeee air filters with stuffed foam or could just be clagged motor needing work.
The motor had been sitting in a shed ( out of any bike so dont know how long or what sort of life its had.
Being near on 40 years old she blows a bit of smoke. ( depending on which way im leaning.) suggests rings
Because its running so rough im not sure if the power is down.
Occassionaly i get a burst of power that tells me theres still some life left.
Anyway my questions are as follows.
I may just need to replace ring. Would you suggest putting a 836 weico kit through. What other work should i look at while i have the head off.
Cam chain replacement will happen.
Dont mind doing it right to a point.
Can you recommend places to pick up the parts. Prices do tend to vary greatly.
Comments would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Andrew
KO 69 Chopper

Stoand

Post by Stoand » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:18 pm

I personally wouldn't bother with a big bore kit for a chop, spend the money on something else, check your valves while the heads off and at least lap them in and new stem seals, best (make that cheapest) place I've found for new parts is David Silvers spares in the Uk, even with postage it worked out much cheaper than Puds, you can order on line and choose either genuine or pattern
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/
cheers, Dave

74chopper

Post by 74chopper » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:04 pm

hi Andrew, sounds like a few things put together giving you the trouble, air leaks probably your biggest by the sound of your intake rubbers, also take the float valves in the carbs, you`ll probably find a bunch of junk in there (i had 1 blocked carb on the last QLD get together and it ran like a 250, occasionally giving me full power when the carb bowl had time to fill up properly), have a squiz over at www.cyclexchange.net , they are into 750/4 sohc big time, they have great prices on engine gear as well as building monster 750`s, myself and others i know have dealt with ken and its a safe beat mate... they have oversize pistons, rings, gaskets, big cams, heavy duty everything and great advice to boot.... good luck with the build mate, make sure you post some pix of the progress :)

P.S. go to electronic ignition while your at it, she`ll be a 1 kick wonder and megga runner for ever more.
Cheers Rob
750/4 choppers Rock

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:06 am

I used to get my gear from Terry at
http://home.comcast.net/~tas-motorsports/Home.html
great bloke, happy to do it over the net and i can get parts quicker from him than i can from Sydney. Good prices. Tel him i said G,day.

oh and swap your condensers if you stick with points, (similiar simptons to fuel but the plugs read your fuel is correct)

Stoand

Post by Stoand » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:02 pm

thanks for the link cromag, I'll certainly be using tas in the future, prices are the only sensible ones i've seen in Oz!!!

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:15 pm

Thats US dollars...hes in Indiana. as i said, i cant get parts ordered from Sydney as quick as i can get them from Terry. usally to me in 4 days...give or taske the odd long weekend.

He doesnt have it all, but some very useful consumables at least.
the bloke Chopper74 mentions has some really Really nice stuff....definantly worth checking out..in fact im going to do that right now.

Stoand

Post by Stoand » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:19 pm

ahh...thought it was a tassie site :oops: ...still worth a look tho

Return to “Fits'n Bits; Honda...”