Blowing fuses

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to Hondas.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
KO 69 Chopper

Blowing fuses

Post by KO 69 Chopper » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi all
Got i problem with the honda 4.
I seem to be blowing fuses after accelerating up a hill and backing off as i go over the top.
This sounds to me like over charging in the system.
Also my electric start wont work even though the battery is fine.
Its a home chopper wired system of course. ( not by me )
Im way too impatient for electrical problems.
Any suggestions.
Regards Andrew.

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Thats an interesting one.
I had similar thing on my old honda 4 where every now and then when I went around a corner it happened.
Turned out to be that where all the wires went into the headlight, one of the wires had been rubbing against the exposed bit of the headlight cover as there was no rubber grommet to protect it. This had worn through the insulation and would sometimes short out and blow the main fuse when I moved the handle bars.
As yours is not stock wiring and it is a different scenario altogether then it is probably not the same fault however it wouldn't hurt to check that there is no place where the loom is rubbing that would cause a short when the weight transfers at the top of the hill when you power off.
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:13 pm

Spokes knows his pastrami..electrical gremlins have two ways of showing up 1. as a result of failure of the electrical bits..in your case the regulator (possibly) or 2. as a result of physics, eg, you go over a bump..your bike starts missing until; the road smooths out, yougo around cxorners your headlight shorts etc....with that one id ask what kind of weight transfer is going on as you back off the throttle..whats still wants to swing forward as the main bit slows...that could tell you which wire is contacting something it shouldnt.....that being said, im off to fix my blinkers.....

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:52 pm

WELL.......
Have you found it yet?
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST

Return to “Fits'n Bits; Honda...”