Honda Chopper/Indian Replica

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to Hondas.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
adam.kiem

Honda Chopper/Indian Replica

Post by adam.kiem » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi guys,
New here and I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've always restored cars and bikes, but never customised them.
I have a 2001 Honda VT250C that I am considering chopping and making a bit of an Indian replica.

Phase 1 is the engine build.
I am looking for info on the vt250 engine regarding increasing the capacity. I was wondering if anyone has ever come across one with larger pistons e.g. pistons from a VT400 or 2 CB750 pistons, etc.

Phase 2 is the frame build.
As far as I can see I have 2 options, either have a custom frame built, which i think will be out of my budget, or have the existing frame modified to a rigid rear end. I think the second option would be easier and cheaper, but any advice is welcome. I know you can buy bolt on rigid rear ends for Harleys and Triumphs, but I was considering modifying one of the Harley weld on rigid rear ends available out of the US.
Has anyone had any experience with these?
My last question is regarding frame builders/repairers. Does anyone know of any good frame builders/repairers in Sydney that are experienced with this sort of work, as my welding skills are best left for panelbeating and my work space is best left for anything that is not industrial work.

Phase 3 is the fitting stage.
I think I have this pretty much covered. I can source the guards, chain guard, etc off the shelf in the US and I can make all the fittings and mounts myself. I'm just not skilled enough for a frame build myself.

Any advice or thoughts are welcome.
Cheers

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:07 pm

Either get an absolute shed load of new skills, equipment and work space or chop something else. Try a XS650 Yam or a GS500 Suzuki. An Indian inspired VT250 Honda will no doubt come out looking like a dachshaund covered in vomit.

Don't worry about needing a LAMS legal bike as it won't be finished before you're onto a full license.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Thespis

Post by Thespis » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:26 pm

I must admit I tend to agree with Neo...but horses for courses really and who am I to judge? :twisted: I own, probably, the world's most expensive '82 XLH that still isn't finished!!!

If this is the bike you really want to build, and you're prepared to go nuts with money and time and more money and even more time, then have fun! I doubt there'd be much info on doing what you plan, so it'll largely be un-charted territory.
cheers
Thespis
W.A.

1982 XLH (getting there...)
2009 Speed Triple
2005 FZ1/DJP sidecar (sidecar very soon)
'68/'76 T140V Chop

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:30 am

Sounds good, although I think it will look a little short. I agree with what's been said, you certainly won't get a lot if you sell it, but, if it's what you want...

jump in with both feet and start swimming.

You'll always get advice and help from CA members, but if no-ones done it before, who ya gonna ask??

Go for it............ :)
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

adam.kiem

Post by adam.kiem » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Well i have started the work.
Over the weekend i stripped the top end to put a heliciol in after an easy out snapped off in the snapped spark plug. The top end looked surprisingly good for the km's. I had already ordered the rings and gaskets, so I just left it at that. There didn't seem to be any need to go further.
I have been double checking all my measurements and it appears to me that the VT and the Indian have roughly the same dimensions. The VT is actually a little longer. I'm just narrowing down sources for parts and playing in photoshop at the moment before I make the plunge.
The next thing I want to do is have a chat with a frame builder and get their ideas for the chassis.
Regarding your responses, I probably undersold my skills and equipment. I'm confident I can do any of the work required with the exception of the frame build, I'll leave that to an expert, and I can borrow the work space I need for short periods. I am still looking for a frame builder though.
Does anybody have any suggestions for a good frame builder around Sydney who could convert the bike to a rigid rear end?
Cheers

Chucky

Post by Chucky » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:59 pm

I think it'll be an interesting project, different is good! :D

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:19 pm

adam.kiem wrote:Regarding your responses, I probably undersold my skills and equipment. I'm confident I can do any of the work required with the exception of the frame build, I'll leave that to an expert, and I can borrow the work space I need for short periods. I am still looking for a frame builder though.
Does anybody have any suggestions for a good frame builder around Sydney who could convert the bike to a rigid rear end?
Well, you seem to be hip to the engineering side of things. I have a frame jig, JD2 tubebender, ACDC HF TIG and a lathe. Why don't you fly Shaun down for a couple of days. I'll put him up at my place and I'll throw in my labour for free. You'll supply all the consumables.

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:29 am

Neo Dutch wrote:
adam.kiem wrote:Regarding your responses, I probably undersold my skills and equipment. I'm confident I can do any of the work required with the exception of the frame build, I'll leave that to an expert, and I can borrow the work space I need for short periods. I am still looking for a frame builder though.
Well, you seem to be hip to the engineering side of things. I have a frame jig, JD2 tubebender, ACDC HF TIG and a lathe. Why don't you fly Shaun down for a couple of days. I'll put him up at my place and I'll throw in my labour for free. You'll supply all the consumables.
Do you think we'd fit some work in between the beers then Dave?? :D

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:10 am

Don't drink Shaun. Unlike that other smelly waster, I'm all bizniz down here.

adam.kiem

Post by adam.kiem » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:43 am

That could be an option, but I was thinking I would end up taking the bike up north and leaving it there for a few weeks.

I was also thinking my forst step in the frame build should be a visit to a local engineer to find out what they require to pass it for roadworthy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good engineer in Sydney that is familiar with choppers and modified frames?

Cheers

Return to “Fits'n Bits; Honda...”