Sticky Honda four Throttle cable?

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to Hondas.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
SimonJ18

Sticky Honda four Throttle cable?

Post by SimonJ18 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:41 pm

Does your Honda four have a sticky throttle cable? Does it not return smoothly?

In 90% of cases it is the return cable that gets "gunged" and sticks, a simple solution is to remove the return cable and run a heavier return spring on the carb throttle link, this is a common fix for this.

74chopper

Post by 74chopper » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:20 am

100% agreement there mate.
Cheers Rob
750/4 choppers Rock

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:47 am

Not from me fellas, i reckon the heavy spring makes riding a pain in the hand over long distances. Id rather rip that sucker off and clean it with wd or something like it then leave it in a bath of light oil until it all soaks through. itll clean up nice-ungunge and be smooth as a 18yr old malt. Cables should be routed with long curves and flow. not tight changes of direction and zip ties.

The other thing i do is unhook the return cable, on some it makes for increased resistance and if the ends are the same it makes for a practicle spare.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

cable

Post by Prof » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:02 am

I've run my bikes including a CB500 without return cables for 30 years without any problems. Honda return springs certainly seem more than adequate .

If you keep up routinge maintenance you will be disassembling and oiling and greasing your throttle and clutch components at least at the beginning and end of each winter so any frayed cable will be picked up before it is a problem anyway.
Not saying don't run a cable, but I 've gotten along very well without them.

I also have my throttle set so it stays where I leave it cos having to work against strong spring tension is a pain after a couple of hundred miles
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:03 pm

:oops:
I must be weak wristed because I found the best way was to give both cables a good clean out and get rid of the big @rse return spring and put a much lighter one on.
Before I did that I was getting a bit of workout when stopping and starting through city traffic on my way to work every day. Maybe I am just getting old. Or it could be because I was used to a fuel injected 2003 model with a throttle that you could turn by looking at it.... well you know what I mean.
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST

Return to “Fits'n Bits; Honda...”