XV535 Starting Issues

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to XS 650 Yamahas.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
Sumo

XV535 Starting Issues

Post by Sumo » Fri May 01, 2009 6:51 am

I have a customer with a XV 535 that he dropped into work for me to have a look at the starter. Well I pulled out the starter and rebuilt it, and it sounds fine in the test bench when I put it back in it wont turn the motor over, so I used a set of jumper lead directly to the starter and still no go, so now im thinking the assembly that the starter pushes into may be at fault.

My questions are,
Does the starter push into some form of clutch assembly (as the starter doesnt have a clutch on the front of it)?

Im not a bike mechanic, im a auto elec, so if its a fairly big task im going to have to pass it onto a bike mech. (Bloke told me "he doesnt want to spend too much money on the old girl")

midnight7503

Post by midnight7503 » Fri May 01, 2009 8:41 am

Yes all Yamaha V motors have starting problems of 1 form or another, it isn't an electrical problem, but a mechanical 1, people have come up with a few good fixes for them over the years, and each model has a different problem, but all normally surrounding the starter clutch, either pass the job onto a mechanic, or do some research online looking for starter fixes for the XV's
Someone in a group like this
http://de.groups.yahoo.com/group/yamaha-xv/
should be able to help with some answers
“There is no heaven, there is no hell, except here on Earth.”

Thespis

Post by Thespis » Fri May 01, 2009 9:02 am

midnight7503 wrote:Yes all Yamaha V motors have starting problems of 1 form or another, it isn't an electrical problem, but a mechanical 1, people have come up with a few good fixes for them over the years, and each model has a different problem, but all normally surrounding the starter clutch, either pass the job onto a mechanic, or do some research online looking for starter fixes for the XV's
Someone in a group like this
http://de.groups.yahoo.com/group/yamaha-xv/
should be able to help with some answers
What he said.

Unfortunately, the 535 is one of the few Yamahas I don't have a digital manual for..however I just found this online for you....

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Mod ... TER_CLUTCH ....

the starter clutch is attached to the back of the alternator rotor. I hope this helps
cheers
Thespis
W.A.

1982 XLH (getting there...)
2009 Speed Triple
2005 FZ1/DJP sidecar (sidecar very soon)
'68/'76 T140V Chop

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Fri May 01, 2009 11:27 am

The Models with a starter clutch have an issue with the clutch going in them. So even when the starter motor is turning the =starter clutch is just spinning and won't engage the motor. Also check that the throw out arm is working properly.

The models without the starter clutch had the problem of not throwing out the armature far enough to engage the drive gear to turn the motor.

Starter clutch is about $70 if I remember rightly. You can check it easily enough. It should only be able to turn one way. If it turns both ways then it's stuffed. It should turn one way and then free wheel the other when the motor starts going faster than the starter. (If that makes sense) I'll see if I still have an old stuffed one around that I can show you.
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Fri May 01, 2009 4:57 pm

I just read what I wrote and it doesn't make sense.
I know what I mean and as soon as you take the starter clutch and have a play with it you'll know what I mean too.

Thespis

Post by Thespis » Fri May 01, 2009 6:21 pm

Spokes wrote:The Models with a starter clutch have an issue with the clutch going in them. So even when the starter motor is turning the =starter clutch is just spinning and won't engage the motor. Also check that the throw out arm is working properly.

The models without the starter clutch had the problem of not throwing out the armature far enough to engage the drive gear to turn the motor.

Starter clutch is about $70 if I remember rightly. You can check it easily enough. It should only be able to turn one way. If it turns both ways then it's stuffed. It should turn one way and then free wheel the other when the motor starts going faster than the starter. (If that makes sense) I'll see if I still have an old stuffed one around that I can show you.

I wanna know where you can get a complete starter clutch for $70! I'd buy a truckload......

You will most likely need the clutch, the gear that it drives, the six bolts that hold the clutch to the rotor and an alternator cover gasket...also you'll need to loctite the six bolts when you assemble the unit.

I've replaced a lot of these Yamaha starter clutches over the years and found that if you don't replace all the parts they fail again in short time.

my AU$0.02
cheers
Thespis
W.A.

2009 Speed Triple
'68/'76 T140V Chop

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Fri May 01, 2009 6:53 pm

Thanks fella's

You have sold me.

I know when its out of my league

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Fri May 01, 2009 7:39 pm

Thespis wrote:
Spokes wrote:The Models with a starter clutch have an issue with the clutch going in them. So even when the starter motor is turning the =starter clutch is just spinning and won't engage the motor. Also check that the throw out arm is working properly.

I wanna know where you can get a complete starter clutch for $70! I'd buy a truckload......
LMAO well it was a few years ago now so obviously my memory doesn't serve me like it used to.
Out of interest how much are they.

Thespis

Post by Thespis » Fri May 01, 2009 9:09 pm

Spokes wrote:
Thespis wrote:

LMAO well it was a few years ago now so obviously my memory doesn't serve me like it used to.
If I can shake this flu enough to go to work tomorrow, I'll price everything I reckon would be needed. I'll post the results asap.

If you can get the bike to Perth I'll fix it cheap ;-).............. :roll:
cheers
Thespis
W.A.

2009 Speed Triple
'68/'76 T140V Chop

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Fri May 01, 2009 9:58 pm

Thespis wrote:
Spokes wrote:
Thespis wrote:
If I can shake this flu enough to go to work tomorrow, I'll price everything I reckon would be needed. I'll post the results asap.

If you can get the bike to Perth I'll fix it cheap ;-).............. :roll:
Not swine Flu i hope??? :o

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Fri May 01, 2009 10:02 pm

well... he does have a hog???

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Fri May 01, 2009 11:06 pm

Bugg3r, I was lookin at a 1990 VX800 today, in a mates shed, thinking "that would make a NICE chopper."

Can you make them kick start??
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sat May 02, 2009 6:31 am

Bearcx wrote:Bugg3r, I was lookin at a 1990 VX800 today, in a mates shed, thinking "that would make a NICE chopper."

Can you make them kick start??
You won't need to.....the VX is a Suzi, not yamahahaha :D

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Sat May 02, 2009 6:42 am

hahahahhaha yes its a suzi.

Naw mate, I cant get her to perth :)

Thespis

Post by Thespis » Sat May 02, 2009 9:42 am

pommychopper wrote:
Not swine Flu i hope??? :o
So do I....though I believe it's no-longer politically correct to call it that.....due to the increase in Pigocide......and being the long-time vegetarian that I am (yes, I am..) means I'd hate to see more little piggies die unnecessarily...... :shock:

But I think I'll have to go to work anyway to help pay for my "hog's" new Andrews gearbox ........which will be winging it's way from the States in a day or so...I hope IT doesn't catch Influenza A H1N1 !!!!
:roll: :lol:

I'll try and find part numbers and prices for Sumo while I'm there....and I sorta guessed a fix in Perth was a long shot...it's a bit far to commute from country NSW.... 8)
cheers
Thespis
W.A.

2009 Speed Triple
'68/'76 T140V Chop

Return to “Fits 'n Bits; Yamaha...”