XS650 Specs

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to XS 650 Yamahas.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
Bacca

XS650 Specs

Post by Bacca » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:59 am

http://www.xs650.org.au/torque_specifications.htm

If I had a dollar for every time I was asked about torque specifications on XS650's I'd be a wealthy man. So here are a couple of tables of specs copied from the workshop manual. As you can see all of the specs given are in Metres per Kilogram force (m/kgs), foot pounds (ft/lbs) or Inch pounds (in/lbs) Of course here in Australia we talk in Newton/metres (N/m) so to do the conversion from those old ft/lbs to N/m just multiply by 1.35582 and for in/lbs to N/m multiply by 0.112984775

For example if you have a 10mm bolt (dimension B) from Table 1. the correct tension would be :-

25 - 29 ft/lbs
25 ft/lbs X 1.35582 = 33.8955 N/m
29 ft/lbs X 1.35582 = 39.31878 N/m
So the correct tension would be 34 - 39 N/m (rounded)

Tables on this page were scanned from a Yamaha XS650B workshop manual and reworked for ft/lbs and N/m which are more commonly used than m/kgs here in Australia.

Standard torque setting guide by nut & bolt size
Table 1. is used where the nuts and bolts are used together or are screwed onto or into steel.

Table 1.

Special torque settings for various XS650 nuts & bolts
Table 2. is used where these nuts and bolts are used in alloy or require a special torque setting.
(Usually less than the standard guide)

Table 2.

Convert.exe is a small program that does conversions download it and place it on your desktop, I found it very useful.

Return to “Fits 'n Bits; Yamaha...”