Stripped threads

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to XS 650 Yamahas.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
RickB56

Stripped threads

Post by RickB56 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:38 pm

I seem to have one stripped thread out of the 3 that hold on the oil filter cover. Looks to be a very fine thread, haven't checked the size yet. Wondering if they make helicoils in very fine thread. Also wondering what affect the one loose bolt will have on things like oil pressure? Pretty sure it isn't good for the effectiveness of oil filtration.

dg6oo2

Re: Stripped threads

Post by dg6oo2 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Take one of the other three bolts down to a bolt shop and see if you can get a helicoil kit to suit, i hope this sorta helps mate.
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:08 am

Helicoil kit will cost you $60-$80. May be cheaper to get a local enineering place to helicoil it for you.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:21 pm

Rick i been thinking on this mate is the thread stripped at the start or has the thread come out like a spring ? , If it,s just the start of the thread you may be able to recut it with the suitable tap and insert a spare bolt to bite into the good thread further down also measure the depth of the hole and measure the bolt usually the bolt hole is longer so a suitable bolt cut to fit with a couple of mil to spare may get you mobile again.
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

Return to “Fits 'n Bits; Yamaha...”