coils for truimphs

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to Triumphs.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
zeppy

coils for truimphs

Post by zeppy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:38 pm

l am rebuilding building my 650 and want to use another coil setup l have head that harley coils work fine
or maybe another coil might work
any ideas
thanks zeppy

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:07 pm

Ah, Coils on Triumph's. I know this subject well as I've built and re-built many. I've used coils from Points model Kwaka's (Z900/Z1000) , on a T140 fitted with a Boyer I used an Andrews coil off my old Sportster(still have the coil) and I've used generic K-Mart Coils. All work great believe it or not. The cheapo Kmart coils are still fitted to that bike 20 years later and still give a good fat spark.

chopperal

coils

Post by chopperal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:56 pm

I asked a friend who knows a bit about putting a double ended Harley coil on a Trumpy, and he said it can be done.

He just needs to know what sort of ignition system you're running - points or a Boyer.

cheers, al

zeppy

Post by zeppy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:25 pm

thanks Al
l am using a boyer

chopperal

triumph coils

Post by chopperal » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:21 pm

According to my mate, the main thing to consider is getting a 3 ohm coil

He said you can either buy a 12 volt OEM Accel coil or a Dyna S, which is smaller.

He also said that there's no polarity with coils, so it doesn't matter which sides you attach the positive and negative wires to. So if your coils are already negative earth, that's fine. Set up the new coil the same.

He also mentioned mounting the coil. If it doesnt have a clamp system and you need to make a bracket, you need to make two brackets, one for either side of the coil mount, to stop it cracking.

If you have any problems or questions, let me know and either I'll pass them on to Terry, or else see if he'd mind me giving you his phone number.

cheers, al

zeppy

Post by zeppy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:14 pm

thanks very much al that's going to be a grat help one of the main resons l wanted to get a harley coils was because they are smaller than using the 2 coils l am going to try and get one in the next couple of weeks and will tell you how l got along
cheers zeppy

chopperal

triumph coils

Post by chopperal » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:40 pm

Good luck Zeppy

cheers, al :D

Return to “Fits 'n Bits;Triumph...”