Magnetos fro 78 Bonnie

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to Triumphs.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
Diggerdigzit

Magnetos fro 78 Bonnie

Post by Diggerdigzit » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:10 pm

Looking at going with a magneto and battery eliminator for a project. Namely chopping up my perfectly good bonnie.

my question is, can i get opinions on the right magneto for the 750 motor. Joe Hunt, Morris or fairbanks/morse (ha, yeh right) or are they all equal among men. Even better still does anyone have a cheap one that they need to move to the beatiful Gold Coast.

All opinions considered the right one as i have no idea. :idea:

Cheers

Digger
what is this "elek a trick start" you speak of???

Stoand

Post by Stoand » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:13 am

I'm running an ARD on my T140, is good because the cap faces inwards so less likely to get damaged and doesn't get in the way when running fwd controls, don't know where to get one tho

see pics here if you look close you can see the mag
http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... c&start=15

see here for battery eliminator:
http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... php?t=2240

Diggerdigzit

Post by Diggerdigzit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:11 pm

Thanks Stoand,

Good info. Did a google and Britcycle in canada has them, quite a sweet looking unit.

Thanks for the info on the battery eliminator as well, and you are saying i should go back to points... get rid of the boyer?

cheers

Digger

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:00 pm

Was just reading on the Jockey Journal about the bloke who makes the ARD set up, aparantly as he's getting on in years he's less likely to actually do a run of parts....so it looks like theyre only going up in rarity and value........know who wants to buy a perfectly good 5 yr old.....

oh i want one too..but will settle for just a mag....

Any probs with yours Stoand?

Stoand

Post by Stoand » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:13 pm

Diggerdigzit wrote: Thanks for the info on the battery eliminator as well, and you are saying i should go back to points... get rid of the boyer?
the boyer will have to come of to fit the mag, points are in the mag

no problems with mine Cromag, bike starts first kick 99% of time, just ask Prof!!

Diggerdigzit

Post by Diggerdigzit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:53 pm

thanks again for the info gentlemen. All a big help. haven't got a price off Britcycle but had a look on ebay and a reco one for a bsa is ...gulp...two grand. FMD.

I never knew about the points being in the Mag, but then again there's a heap of stuff i dont know :?:

also while I have your ears, any one know of an engraver that could engrave a points cover, might as well ask as i have found all sorts of info on this site.

Cheers

Digger

Diggerdigzit

Post by Diggerdigzit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:04 pm

Just found this,

make sense to anybody. As you will learn I need direction, no problems once i have been guided jst clueless to begin with.

"But.............why? Fit a Sparx three phase alternator, throw the battery away, fit a Mallory 4500 microfarad capacitor, 35vdc, and Bob's yer uncle. You can also run a Sparx electronic ignition with this set up and have a virtually maintenance free ignition system. And one with an automatic advance facility.....which neither the Hunt or ARD mags will provide.
Works great, I used it for over 50K miles with no problems. I used the stock single phase alternator for another 40K miles. I prefer the points set up and still use that. Faultless performance and almost no maintenance, if you use synthetic grease on the points rubbing blocks and synth. oil for lubing the AA unit.
You have all the info. Buy the parts and hook them up. You'll also have enough extra juice to comfortably run a high output headlamp and the extra load of the electronic ignition system if you fit the three phase unit.
Total cost about 500 dollars with new 6v coils and other misc bits. You will also have the space where the battery was to put spares or tools, or whatever. You won't really need a fuse, but if you keep it, or better yet, a circuit breaker, install it in the hot lead from the rectifier/regulator, as the cap doesn't pass any significant amperage.
Works for me. For a hundred thousand miles on three different Britbikes."

this is off britbike forum

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:49 pm

Email this lot http://www.forestclassicsmotorcycles.com/ tell them Shaun from Creation Customs told you to get hold of them, they're in Pommyland, but he knows his Triumphs and ships to Oz regularly.

Cheers.

Diggerdigzit

Post by Diggerdigzit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks mate, have emailed him.

Digger

Return to “Fits 'n Bits;Triumph...”