Triumph Kit (Import) Need Help!

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to Triumphs.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
The.Goat.In.Boots

Triumph Kit (Import) Need Help!

Post by The.Goat.In.Boots » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:17 am

Hey Guy's,

So Im building my first chopper/bobber, a 650 Triumph, and I need some help. I have decided to go for a kit import from the USA. I know what your thinking, but seeing as it's my first build I thought I would take an easier option. Thing is, I have no idea about how to go about organising an import. The .gov website is so complicated about importing a custom kit. I have contacted an import broker (All American Imports) but I'm starting to think that maybe having the guy send a few separate boxes as "parts". Does anyone have info on this such as legal ramifications. Also, if I get a custom frame from the USA with a MSO (Manufactures statement of origin) does that count as an engineers cert? I have so many questions about the import laws and how far they extend as far as parts or "whole bike" goes. I have some great ideas for this bike and I'm super stolked on it.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

The Mountain Goat!

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:26 am

I don't know about importing the kit but I would love to see the USA Triumph kit bike.
Got a link?
Ride it like you can fix it.

The.Goat.In.Boots

Post by The.Goat.In.Boots » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:42 am

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:59 am

They look pretty cool.
Be careful buying something from a "shop" with no address or real phone number. Here in the USA, The 888 prefix to a phone number means its a toll free number and could go to anywhere.
Ride it like you can fix it.

The.Goat.In.Boots

Post by The.Goat.In.Boots » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 am

Yeah Im being pretty damn cautious on all this, especially to do with the whole import and rego situation. I have a couple other options like trying to find a pre 1970 model 650 that I can us a bolt on rigid frame with, it just wont have that full custom feel. Have been looking around on just bikes and am really looking for something already registered to save some hassels.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:13 am

Buy something local!!!!

There are plenty of good old Triumphs for sale all over Australia, and guys like Hemitech can help you out with frames or bolt on hardtails for the bike you find. There is no need to be going through the cost and hassle of bringing a bike or project in from the US when everything is readily available down here.

Registration wise in WA, your best bet is to buy a licensed Triumph Bonnie and then just bolt on the hardtail.

If you go for a custom frame the bike will be treated as an ICV and need to be fully compliant with 2011 ADRs.
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:32 am

You wont get a kit bike in unless you do it in stages. Customs will send a FULL KIT back to where it came from. If you want to import a kit bike, go to the Customs Australia site and search for Kit Bike Importation. Rule of thumb is, don't buy one as a full kt, buy as a collection of parts and bring it over in at least two shipments.

Or buy local and support local business. There are several really good Triumph builders on the site. Look at Trojan for starters, see posts by hemitech. The stuff he's doing is superb.

Also I don't think an American MSO means diddly here.
There are people on this site that have been burned doing kits, so be very careful.
Did I mention yet, buy local.......
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Return to “Fits 'n Bits;Triumph...”