G'day from sunny melbourne

Introduce yourself... area where you live, your bike or bike plans, kind of riding you like to do, a bit of your biking of history, interests, family etc
Mark36

G'day from sunny melbourne

Post by Mark36 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:17 pm

Finally figured out (with a little help from Prof) how to join up and register on the forum, easy for some but I'm fifty and am clueless when it comes to compooters. I live in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne and have been one of the dreaded lurkers for a little while but not anymore! I've got an 07 Triumph Speedmaster which is not (yet?) modified and a home made death trap I've put together over the last two years. The neck and front downtube is from a Suzuki DR600 and the rest is made from tubing,welding rods and beer. The engine is from a Honda XR600 and everything else is from wreckers, the interweb or (mostly) home made. It's fully engineered and registered as a rigid 91 Suzuki. Best of all it doesn't owe me much. I'm happy talkin, buildin,fixin bikes and , most importantly, ridin the wheels off 'em. Hopefully we can coax a few more Victorian members out to the shed or,better still, out on the road.
Cheers
Mark

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: G'day from sunny melbourne

Post by Prof » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:05 pm

Very nice looking little bike, but at 600cc should keep up with the bigger choppers easily.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

xsive

Post by xsive » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:26 pm

welcome your bike looks good (home baked ) nothing better and prof forgot to add a 0 "to his post :roll:
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Awesome build, looks like a hell of a lot of fun to ride.

Thanks for posting. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks xsive
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:28 am

Very nice build indeed, but what else could one expect from sunny melbourne. It's where all the smart, witty and handsome blokes live. :D
"better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Very Cool lookin bike......

you still here Fluffer?
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

andrewb

Post by andrewb » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Nice bike, looks good!

scruff

Post by scruff » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:52 pm

looks good. did you make a jig to hold it during fabrication? if so can you post a pic.cheers scruff

Mark36

Post by Mark36 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:28 pm

G'day Scruff, I cut the jig up afterwards and changed it to fit a CB450 frame I was going to hardtail but never did. I have since removed part of it to provide a flat welding surface for things such as my sissy bar. Basically it is C section 125mm x 50mm x 8mm " facing " down so you have a flat surface on top to weld brackets to and this sat on a pair of saw horses.The rear had some 400mm x 150mm x 10mm plate welded flat accross it so the whole thing looked like a "T". The rest is various lengths of 75mm x 75mm x 8mm angle welded upright to coincide with front and bottom engine mounts and 2 at the rear welded to the 10mm plate and drilled to allow the axle to go through. If you are hard tailing a frame you will also have to cross brace the front loop before you cut the back off as it will "spring" unless you have the engine in your frame and the mounts fully brace the frame. Every frame is different so make sure it is well braced and the position of the rear axle allows for any stretch or drop you want in the frame. Lots of words, sorry but it is hard to describe it without a photo.

eddiehob

Post by eddiehob » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Nice job .i am in Melbourne South East if you up for a ride sometime .How difficult was it to get it engineered,

Mark36

Post by Mark36 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

G'day Eddie, not an easy question to answer regarding engineering but generally speaking not difficult although there are right and wrong ways to approach engineers in order to get them interested in your project the first place. If we catch up for a ride sometime i'll be happy to give you some more info. As far as a ride goes it looks like Fluffer and I will be riding this Saturday. Keep an eye on the Melb / Vic get together thread under regional rides and let us know if you are coming. Cheers Mark

Return to “G'day folks...”