Hello From Sydney

Introduce yourself... area where you live, your bike or bike plans, kind of riding you like to do, a bit of your biking of history, interests, family etc
andrewb

Hello From Sydney

Post by andrewb » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 pm

New bloke here,
Im new to road bikes and such, looking at getting my license shortly, been riding offroad bikes since i was a lil bloke though, owned a fair amount over the years.

I Have been thinking about building a bobber for a few years now,
Im building a street/drag car at the moment, 1958 vw beetle, cut it up pretty good, 3inch transmission raise, 4inch narrowed and adjustable front end, drop spindles, wide rims in the rear with 205's, skinny tyres up front (145's they arent on it yet), etc etc etc the list is long, good fun, keeps me busy, keeps the wallet empty.
but its at the point where i need another project to step away from that car for a little bit before i burn it to the ground :lol:

I bought an xv250 a month or so ago, for what i paid i couldnt say no,
but on closer inspection, i dont think it would be a good candidate to chop up and build the type of bobber i would like.
It has a horrid backbone (intake goes through it), so i would have to cut that out, weld in a new back bone and then do the hardtail. I think thats too much to slip through rego unnoticed haha.
So i will probably clean it up give it some fresh paint and a couple of mods to clean it up, get my L's on it and then i will sell it to fund another bike that i can hardtail a little easier, while being learner legal assuming learners can ride modified bikes?

I do alot of work on bikes and cars (and other stuff) for mates and mates of mates so the garage and driveway is always full, always good fun at my place!! :twisted:

So i have come to this forum to gather some knowledge on what i can and cannot get away with in regards to chopping up a bike and getting it in the road in nsw.
I did have a skim read of the RTA vehicle standards crap, but theres barely any info there, plus i see alot of bikes on the road with bits and pieces i would think arent legal and the cops dont seem to touch them, more interested in the commodores and p plater cars.
So i thought, why not get some first hand info from some blokes who actually know.

Not the greatest bike, but again for what i paid, i cant complain, and im only a small build bloke so i fit on it, unlike my mates bikes (650, 1200) where i can barely even touch the ground :lol:

Heres a pic after I finished a Late night clutch change on my mates 1200 (i forget what model it is now...) which is sad because i did the body work and paint on that bike too. :lol: excuse the bad picture, they dont come out well with all the fluros in the garage.

Anyways, I will annoy you guys with some questions after i have had a look around the forum at all the threads :D

Cheers
Andrew

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Hello From Sydney

Post by Prof » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:35 am

Cool little volksy.

XV's and Viragos take some major work to look really decent. I have extended/raked the necks on a few and flattened and cut out the intake bulges, but bettter to just make a complete new top backbone tube.
I'd keep mods pretty simple if I was doing a 250 as they are not of much value modified... I'd find something better to spend your time and money on.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

scruff

Post by scruff » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:39 pm

love the vw,takes me back 25 years :cry: . had a few interesting late night trips in one(not the most reliable vehicle).am going to adelaide to buy another wrecked xj to carve up.good luck with all your projects cheers scruff

jsalt

Post by jsalt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Hi buddy, most 250 s will keep up with the bigger bikes, I did 400 KS on weekend and kept up with a big Harley And a trump. Just the hills some times slowed me down. I was on a hunter 250. Ya bike wouldn't take much to make it look killer
Jon
I hear voices and they have some good ideas!

xsive

Post by xsive » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:52 pm

welcome ,love the bug , I built a custom virago for my wife last year and the little girl went like stink ,a bit of pipe work ,aif filter and carb mods and tuning made a lot of difference check out mrs not so xsives virago in your chopper picks ,cheers
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

andrewb

Post by andrewb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:57 am

Prof wrote:Cool little volksy.

XV's and Viragos take some major work to look really decent. I have extended/raked the necks on a few and flattened and cut out the intake bulges, but bettter to just make a complete new top backbone tube.
I'd keep mods pretty simple if I was doing a 250 as they are not of much value modified... I'd find something better to spend your time and money on.

My thoughts exactly, not worth going to too much trouble with a 250, however, i did get a new battery today and got her running tonight,
after tearing down the carb and flushing the fuel system... there was nice red dirt all through the carb and lines... no wonder the previous owner couldnt get it running... also the paint around the spout had flaked and made its way through the lines...
So after cleaning all that up i did a dodgy wire job and started her up...
coughed and spluttered into life, ran pretty crappy, so i rode it up the road, then got to the top of the hill and absolutely flogged it coming back down, ran better after that.. haha
carb needs a tune, but im pretty happy it runs, and goes well.

Plan is to just clean it up and put it on the road, sell it later to fund a bigger bike to build a bobber out of..
scruff wrote:love the vw,takes me back 25 years :cry: . had a few interesting late night trips in one(not the most reliable vehicle).am going to adelaide to buy another wrecked xj to carve up.good luck with all your projects cheers scruff
Cheers
Vw's are a whole different animal, unless your going to take the time to properly learn about them, you probably will never get one to run good lol...
I worked with vw's for a fair while, and we used to go pick up cars that had been sitting for years, 20 minutes and we would ussually have it running and on the trailer under its own power (and finding out theres no brakes alot of times) :D

jsalt wrote:Hi buddy, most 250 s will keep up with the bigger bikes, I did 400 KS on weekend and kept up with a big Harley And a trump. Just the hills some times slowed me down. I was on a hunter 250. Ya bike wouldn't take much to make it look killer
Jon
Yea it should go fine with me on it, Im not a big bloke and i dont weigh much, will be a fun lil buzz around untill i find something bigger to chop up.
We will see what i come up with!
xsive wrote:welcome ,love the bug , I built a custom virago for my wife last year and the little girl went like stink ,a bit of pipe work ,aif filter and carb mods and tuning made a lot of difference check out mrs not so xsives virago in your chopper picks ,cheers
Thanks!
I Just had a look at the thread, no complete pics?!!
Looks good though, i will be painting mine a similar silver, but alot darker.
Interested to know what you did with the rear fender and tail light.
Tell me more about these carb mods? i hate hate hate the carb on this thing, who the hell came up with that design?? the choke doesnt work either, no idea what the deal is there, i had it apart and didnt even think about the choke, didnt notice anything while i was cleaning the carb out.

Wish i had the tooling to bend some simple dump pipes for this thing,
tube bending gear is probably the only thing i dont have that i would use alot!

A question, is there another way to lower the forks other than just sliding the trees down? :oops: never lowered a bike... have done plenty of cars though :twisted:
and i assume i just need shorter shocks to lower the rear?

I will get some more pics as i clean it up and figure out what to do,
I need to decide what to do with the hand controls and such, it sat in the weather so alot doesnt work, and some wires are crossed (starter switch sticks on, blinkers turn the highbeam on i think, horn not working, not sure what the deal is, but someones messed with it at some point)
Need to figure out the wiring too and chop the ignition out and put a switch in there.

xsive

Post by xsive » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:46 am

answer to some of your q's no pictures of completed bike: only pics for advertising were taken and bike sold within 4 days in post rego fiinish with std gaurd /flashers and tail lamp. lower/wider bars(honda 4 )
carb mods: wrong choice of wording.was restricted to proper jeting and road testing to suit the open /slightly baffled pipes that were manufactured from 304 s/s ,uderstand these things STD do not have a true twin exhaust system and have inner tubes within the outer chrome pipes of around 20mm and suffer from asthma our pipes were 38mm open from head port back, we also ran a pod air cleaner in the spot of original mounting ,i did however have flat slide pkw carbs that would have been used had mrs kept the bike :evil:
the rear gaurd: design had been reached to mod original guard with cats eye led tail lamp and plate holder on top of gaurd , once again bike sold quickly and young lady liked the bike the way it was so no need for me to finish
lowering rear can be acheived several ways ,short shocks ,change mouting position ,lenghthen swing arm ,etc
front lowering : dont want to waste to much time and money for short time project ,use your own sugestion and shove em through the trees.
NB: the std carb suffers from sticking slide check this if your bike runs rich and crappy on acceleration ,rubber manifolds also crack and go hard creating air leaks so chech this out before disgarding the carb,they can be bought from china cheaply on ebay
pm me if you need parts i may have some for sale as this bike was built from two compleat bikes a 1991 and a 2003 .
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

andrewb

Post by andrewb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks for the reply,

Yes the first thing i noticed when i bought the bike was the exhaust, i was looking at it and was thinking theres no way that pipe can bend tight enough to reach the head.... :lol:
So i will figure out a way to get a set of pipes done for it.
I will also put a pod filter on.

Will look into the rear end and figure out the best way to lower it, i want to lower the guard a fair bit, so i might chop the rear of the frame a little bit, and i will be putting a rather small seat on it.

I guess i will just slide them down the trees to lower it, i was just curious if there was another way to do it as forks are the one part i have never pulled apart before.

The manifold was indeed cracked and hard, I couldnt see light through any cracks but i assumed they would spread when bolted to the heads, so I just wrapped it with electrical tape to get the bike running, Will source another,
I did notice one of the screws (not sure what it is) on the carb was busted, will need to be drilled out and a new one put in I suppose.

Well I have a job in the garage at the moment (sl125, someone had loosened the timing chain ALOT, so it stripped the teeth off the cam sproket) so once im done with that i will get onto this xv250, then you will get a pm when i figure out what parts i may be after :)

Also, whats the deal with number plate placement? i want to cut the rear fender short, because it is hideous...

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Hello mate, and welcome.

Just my thoughts. 250 - 550cc bikes have a limited market, when buying or selling. Spend a few bux to get it "personalised", but, dont spend big or you will never get your money back. Front forks can be cut and rethreaded, springs cut, washers added........or measure the diameter and head off to the wreckers to look for shorter ones. My opinion is to get your licence, register and ride it, then when confident, swap to bigger unit :D

The LAMS rules allow up to 650cc for learners (I think?), but, as you said you're not a big fella, stick with the 250 for 12 months and enjoy.

Only bike riders know why dogs stick their head out the window..........
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

andrewb

Post by andrewb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:41 am

Bearcx wrote:Hello mate, and welcome.

Just my thoughts. 250 - 550cc bikes have a limited market, when buying or selling. Spend a few bux to get it "personalised", but, dont spend big or you will never get your money back. Front forks can be cut and rethreaded, springs cut, washers added........or measure the diameter and head off to the wreckers to look for shorter ones. My opinion is to get your licence, register and ride it, then when confident, swap to bigger unit :D

The LAMS rules allow up to 650cc for learners (I think?), but, as you said you're not a big fella, stick with the 250 for 12 months and enjoy.

Only bike riders know why dogs stick their head out the window..........
Hey, Thanks!

Those are my thoughts too,
I dont plan to spend much on it, but i will make a profit either way...
Interesting about the front forks, i will look into that.

Yes i plan to get my licence and ride it for a bit then get a 650 if i can find one...

ol_750

Post by ol_750 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:18 am

8) Welcome aboard from another Andrew B :lol: This is a great place to play with bikes.
Ride Hard Live Free
Twisties seperate the men from the boys
FarRider 413 "IT'S JUST A ROAD"
2 x XJ750RL , 4 x XJ900 , XS650 , XV1000 TR1,VN1500 Classic.

andrewb

Post by andrewb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:56 am

ol_750 wrote:8) Welcome aboard from another Andrew B :lol: This is a great place to play with bikes.
Thanks! :lol:
Looked like a good forum, glad i joined :twisted:

andrewb

Post by andrewb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:53 pm

In regards to the handlebar risers on my bike, Does anyone know if they are 2 piece? can i take the tops off and get rid of the long bent tubes? :roll:

Return to “G'day folks...”