G'day. A big ask from the new guy

Introduce yourself... area where you live, your bike or bike plans, kind of riding you like to do, a bit of your biking of history, interests, family etc
crazy horse

G'day. A big ask from the new guy

Post by crazy horse » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:04 am

Hi All,
My name's Christian and I'm from Sydney. Been lurking on the site for quite some time now. I'm building a Kawasaki KZ440 bobber and have been at a standstill for a while. Basically I'm up to the wiring stage and other than changing a light bulb from time to time I have absolutely no idea about electricals, and so I just keep pro-crastinating about my wiring. I've briefly looked at basic wiring diagrams, but I may as well be reading chinese.
I am keen to learn though but just don't know where to start. I have the original wiring harness, but from what I've heard it's better to just start from scratch??? Anyways, I was wondering if any of you guys in Sydney would be prepared to show me how it's done. I'm more than happy to bring my bike over and pay you for your time. I'm about %85 finished on my bike and just want to get it done and ride. I've put it off for far too long now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Christian

xsive

Re: G'day. A big ask from the new guy

Post by xsive » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:07 am

hi christian welcome to the mad house . is your bike a complete rebuid eg has it been stripped pulled apart painted moded and being put back together or is the wiring still intact and on the bike ?
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

crazy horse

Post by crazy horse » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:54 am

The bike was stripped down and I'm now in the process of putting it back together. I tried labelling as much wiring as I could in the tear down process by (kid's-don't try this at home) wrapping some masking tape around the connection and writing on it in a black marker. Over time the writing has faded and is barely legible, but I did try and keep the harness as intact as possible, but it's not actually on the bike. I will be running a single speedo, a different headlight, aftermarket indicators and the only thing that will be LED will be the brake light.
This KZ model had self cancelling indicators and has a butt ugly indicator/horn/etc switch unit which I'd like to replace with something more streamlined. This connects to a little self cancelling unit which I want to get rid of and replace with a flasher relay.
All in all, I psyche myself up to get started but always end up putting it off. While I've had other stuff to do on the bike, it's been almost a year since I've wanted to get into the wiring. While I may be able to trace certain wires to there source, I wouldn't have a clue how to test or rewire or follow a diagram. I just don't want to fry my wiring system. I am keen to learn but I think I'm in a little way over my head here, so would prefer to have someone teach me. Happy to pay that person for their time and effort.

Cheers

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:38 am

Have you decided to go "original" or not bothered ? Will you have a separate electrics box ? You can do most wiring with 7 core trailer wire, but, you'll need fuses and switches for ignition, kill switch, alarm, or such....

1. Power from front to back for lights
2. Brake lights
3. Left indicator
4. Right indicator
5. Kill switch
6. Ignition switch
7. Earth

Solder all joints where possible, and make sure you have a good earth/ground. (File the frame back to bare metal)

VERY basic, but, will get you going. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

crazy horse

Post by crazy horse » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks for that. I'm not bothered about the original wiring, and would just like to keep it to the bare necessities. Lights, ignition, indicators, stop light as you have mentioned. As I said this thing has self cancelling indicators which never worked properly in the first place, so I'd like to booze them off all together. Would it be easier to start from scratch or trace the wiring from the old harness and eliminate anything that's not needed???

xsive

Post by xsive » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:41 pm

yep start over but will still have to include your charging system fusing and everthing from there out for what your using including front break light switch ,fairly straight forward for those with the knowledge but not that easy for the novice/unknowing iu would send you a pm with my phone number but i see you dont have access to that area send me an e mail with your phone number to landsa6@bigpond.com
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Chopit'nrideit... Prof

crazy horse

Post by crazy horse » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi xsive. I tried sending an email to that address but it bounced back. Tried sending a pm but it's just sitting in the outbox??? How about you email me on loco59@gmail.com with your number, so I can call you. Cheers

Thanks for the link Prof :P

Mark36

Post by Mark36 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:25 pm

G'day Christian, I'm no electrical guru but just some food for thought: if the KZ is not electric start or you're planning on kicking it anyway it may be possible to simplify the wiring more and roost the starter motor and the battery for a considerable weight and cost saving in the process. If the alternator on the KZ is permanent magnet, which I assume it is, you could use a battery eliminator. Check out Modern Motorcycle Company in Melbourne who have battery eliminators for under $40. I use standard xr600r wiring on mine which has what Honda call a pulse generator which does the same thing,it's a joy not worrying about flat batteries ,the wiring is so simple and unobtrusive on the bike and I didn't have to find somewhere to mount the battery. Oh, and by the way, welcome ! Cheers Mark

Return to “G'day folks...”