Another newbie from the Sunshine Coast QLD.

Introduce yourself... area where you live, your bike or bike plans, kind of riding you like to do, a bit of your biking of history, interests, family etc
Dominator
Interests: Originally traiil Bikes but moving towards road bikes/choppers
4wding and Camping

Another newbie from the Sunshine Coast QLD.

Post by Dominator » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:07 am

G'day folks, as the title suggests, I am new to choppers/bobbers. I previously owned trail bikes and primarily I am into 4wding and camping with the family (wife and 2yo son). A back injury a couple of years ago and 3 operations last year ended with a spinal fusion that hasn't fused properly. This has forced a massive change in lifestyle, I have to find a new job, currently a qualified refrigeration mechanic, as my back can't handle being on the tools. Also the hardcore 4wding and modifying of my Nissan Patrol has to stop as it is to hard on my body.

I started looking into other hobbys and restoring/modifying bikes is right up my alley. I have got ahold of an unfinished project to sink my teeth into.

The previous owner has attempted to increasethe rake but in reality has just butchered the frame.

I considered plating it but in all honesty, I think I need to find a new frame. What do you think?

Also his attempt at lowering the rear and fitting struts is a little off the mark.

Because of my back injury, I really want to avoid making it a hardtail. I am thinking a pair of shorter rear shocks should do the job of lowering it. Can anyone advise me on where tolook for something around 200-250mm.

I will be doing a proper build thread on the bike however I have a few things to finish off around the house before I can start on the GN so it coukd be a couple of months, hopefully less.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Another newbie from the Sunshine Coast QLD.

Post by Prof » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:56 am

Hard to find anything 250mm. Progressives do a short shock for sportsters that comes close. Considering your back I'd suggest....
1. Use a standard length shocker and lengthen the swing arm to drop the rear end. Try The Café Racer Shop for an economical set of shockers.
2. Kong the frame (ie lower the seat rails and put on a sprung saddle to take sudden jolts out.
3. Run a 130x16 rear tyre. This will drain a bit of power but if you run it at 12-12psi it will also absorb the bumps.

The longer your wheel base and the heavier the bike the smoother the ride.

Be aware that the amount of work you have to do on this small bike will be the same as on a larger one but you will end up with less resale value due to its size

Hope that helps a bit.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:42 pm

welcome Dominator,

Good little project ya have there. As Prof has suggested, good shocks, sprung seat, maybe longer swingarm will make it a very cushy ride.
Reckon you could weld that grinder cut on the frame, and then plate over it. Check that the frame/headstem/forks are all straight first.

Build thread would be great, when you get the time. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Welcome to Choppers Australia and good luck with your build.
Youngblood

Dominator
Interests: Originally traiil Bikes but moving towards road bikes/choppers
4wding and Camping

Post by Dominator » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:03 am

Thanks for the advice blokes.

Prof, as you suggested, I am wary about spending too much time/money on this project. I don't intend to keep the bike for long after it is finished. It is more of a stepping stone to bigger and better bikes. I figured a small bike requires less initial investment so I don't lose too much if I decide its not for me. On the other hand, once completed, I will still have gained some experience into the world of chopper and bobbers.

With that, and the fact that this is my first build in mind, I think frame mods will be kept to the minimum. If it were not done already, I would not have cut the neck to increase the rake. I have got a couple of ideas for shorter rear shocks but failing that I can get a mate to turn up a couple of slugs on his lathe and I will weld them into the rear frame. All in the fun of the build.

Return to “G'day folks...”