Colder than an iceberg with hypothermia.......

Introduce yourself... area where you live, your bike or bike plans, kind of riding you like to do, a bit of your biking of history, interests, family etc
Phssthpok
Interests: I own 11 motorbikes; 2 of which are Honda based "old school" chops and I'm building a 3rd. My other bikes are an eclectic mix to say the least and range from Harley Fatboy to Puch VZ50 to BMW K!00RS to Suzuki A100 to Honda CB750F1. I have owned and ridden motorcycles since 1973 and currently clock up about 18,000 miles per year. I have been a member of the Harley Davidson Riders Club of Great Britain since 2002 and I am also a regular writer for the club magazine. Although I am an Australian, I have lived in England for more than 3 chilly decades and will be returning home in 10 months. My reasons for wanting to join the forum are two-fold: first, I need good solid advice about legalities of chopper ownership/building in Oz and secondly, it will give me a chance to make contacts for rides et al prior to my return.

Colder than an iceberg with hypothermia.......

Post by Phssthpok » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:57 am

8) ......as a very new member, I'll just like says a few brief words about myself. I have ridden choppers since I was knee high to a particularly short grasshopper and currently own a pair of Honda based "old school" bikes. Apart from the chops, I have an eclectic mix of other bikes that range from 1988 BMW K!00RS to 1973 Puch VZ50 to 1976 Suzuki A100 to 1976 Honda CB750F1 to a 2003 Fatboy. I have owned and ridden motorcycles since 1973 and currently clock up about 18,000 miles per year; which isn't bad in a country that rains for 98% of the year and is colder than an iceberg with hypothermia for the other 2%.

:( ........although I am an Australian, I have lived in ye olde England for more than 3 chilly decades and will be returning home in 10 months. My reasons for wanting to join the forum are two-fold: first, I need good solid advice about legalities of chopper ownership/building in Oz and secondly, it will give me a chance to make contacts for rides, builds et al prior to my return.

:wink: .......from my readings I understand you (we) have something in Australia called "compliance". I really want to bring all of my bikes with me and, this may well cause problems and my choppers are probably going to give the testers an aneurysm. Anyway, I always appreciate good advice so feel free to give me some.

LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE - except when it's raining or a bit chilly.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Colder than an iceberg with hypothermia.......

Post by Prof » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:23 am

Some cool choppers there. Quite a few hoops to jump through to get them registered in Oz the land of hyper-bureaucracy.

Do you know anything about the plunger frame? Is it a home job or a 70's custom shop frame?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:05 pm

G'day mate. :D Nice rides, welcome to the forums.

Prof has a lot of experience in this sort of thing.
Depends a lot on the state you are going to live in, as our outdated, prehistoric laws in the penal colony are not nationwide.
Have a gander through the forums, as a lot of questions are answered already. The 550 rule, 'E' class lights, side mounted number plates etc...

....and welcome back. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Phssthpok
Interests: I own 11 motorbikes; 2 of which are Honda based "old school" chops and I'm building a 3rd. My other bikes are an eclectic mix to say the least and range from Harley Fatboy to Puch VZ50 to BMW K!00RS to Suzuki A100 to Honda CB750F1. I have owned and ridden motorcycles since 1973 and currently clock up about 18,000 miles per year. I have been a member of the Harley Davidson Riders Club of Great Britain since 2002 and I am also a regular writer for the club magazine. Although I am an Australian, I have lived in England for more than 3 chilly decades and will be returning home in 10 months. My reasons for wanting to join the forum are two-fold: first, I need good solid advice about legalities of chopper ownership/building in Oz and secondly, it will give me a chance to make contacts for rides et al prior to my return.

Post by Phssthpok » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:15 am

Prof wrote:Some cool choppers there. Quite a few hoops to jump through to get them registered in Oz the land of hyper-bureaucracy.

Do you know anything about the plunger frame? Is it a home job or a 70's custom shop frame?
:) .....thanks, for the welcome, guys.

8) ......Prof, the frame and springers were made by the legendary Uncle Bunt (John Reed). In the 70's, he had a workshop in Oxfordshire (about 10 miles from me) and was a well known figure in the area. In England, one needs to be careful with "Bunt frames" as there are many, many imitations.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:11 pm

Welcome to the forum and some great looking bikes there mate.
As for importing bikes to Australia I can't say much other than that you will have to jump through lots of hoops and you may still not get there, sorry mate. We are not as free as we would like to think but good luck with it all. Oh..... and welcome back to the best country in the world.
Youngblood

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:40 pm

Welcome

Any idea which State your gonna settle in ? Nice rides by the way

Phssthpok

Post by Phssthpok » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:03 am

Jackson wrote:Welcome

Any idea which State your gonna settle in ? Nice rides by the way
:) ......NSW. I'm going to be in the Sydney area; probably Newcastle.

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Novocastrian myself, but live in Sydney now. Look forward to catching up N buying you a beer

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:12 am

also the "Authority" here in NSW is the RMS (Roads & Maritime Service). Their shop fronts are now called "NSW Service Centre"

you could try this link to find out about importing any of your vehicles to NSW

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registr ... index.html

and also

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registr ... icles.html

Hope this is useful

Phssthpok

Post by Phssthpok » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:17 am

Jackson wrote:also the "Authority" here in NSW is the RMS (Roads & Maritime Service). Their shop fronts are now called "NSW Service Centre"

you could try this link to find out about importing any of your vehicles to NSW

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registr ... index.html

and also

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registr ... icles.html

Hope this is useful
:D ......thanks for the links; really helpful.

hereford
Interests: honda fours
shovels

Post by hereford » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:02 am

hey like the springer rear end and like everyone else welcome back.

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:49 pm

So, have you moved yet ?

Return to “G'day folks...”