Getting a lid painted?

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

mansam

Getting a lid painted?

Post by mansam » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:55 am

So I wanted an Ed Hardy lid for the mrs, but they aren't in australia which really sucks.

For arguments sake (i know expensive), but 'roughly' whats the cost of getting a blank/black open face lid painted?
(have any of u had it done bfore?)

And, hows it work with the AS sticker on the outside? Can you get a replacement sticker from somewhere? or they just cover it pre-paint i guess.
'07 XVS1100

Thespis

Re: Getting a lid painted?

Post by Thespis » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:11 pm

mansam wrote:<snip>

nd, hows it work with the AS sticker on the outside? Can you get a replacement sticker from somewhere? or they just cover it pre-paint i guess.
Umm, I guess they are available .... :wink: but not legally. The sticker would need to be masked. I had a skull-cap helmet with a standards sticker on it....the cops over here have woken up to this and I do know some people who have been booked when caught with fake stickers.

Technically speaking, helmets aren't supposed to be re-painted, or have any additional stickers attached....but I haven't heard of anyone being fined for it.
cheers
Thespis
W.A.

1982 XLH (getting there...)
2009 Speed Triple
2005 FZ1/DJP sidecar (sidecar very soon)
'68/'76 T140V Chop

XSChop

Painting

Post by XSChop » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:19 pm

I know there is a general perception that it's not allowable to paint a helmet.
And I remember some years ago it was realised that some types of helmet material would react with certain paints and it was published that it was not permissable to paint those sorts of helmets with those paints.
I suspect that that issue has lead most people to believe that it's not allowed to paint any helmet.
However I do not believe it is actually verboten as long as the paint you use doesn't compromise the helmet or obscure the sticker etc
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

Thespis

Re: Painting

Post by Thespis » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:58 pm

XSChop wrote:I know there is a general perception that it's not allowable to paint a helmet.
And I remember some years ago it was realised that some types of helmet material would react with certain paints and it was published that it was not permissable to paint those sorts of helmets with those paints.
I suspect that that issue has lead most people to believe that it's not allowed to paint any helmet.
However I do not believe it is actually verboten as long as the paint you use doesn't compromise the helmet or obscure the sticker etc
This is as I understand it....

however, on the side of the road, when the cop reads the "do not paint/add stickers" warning that is attached to every Oz approved helmet I have ever seen (I checked my son's new Shoei XR1000 just now), do you reckon he'll listen to this argument? You would undoubtedly be able to get the ticket reversed, but it would be a hassle.

I'm not saying we shouldn't paint our helmets, far from it, just suggesting that there could be consequences if you get pulled up by a cop in a bad mood....
cheers
Thespis
W.A.

2009 Speed Triple
'68/'76 T140V Chop

sks

Post by sks » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:11 pm

i spoke to a copper about my old helmet, it's had more hits than Elvis. he said it'd be no longer fit for purpose and if ge'd caut me on the road he'd be kind enough to give me one of those ticket thingys.

so i can see then being kind enough to help you out with a ticket for a painted one too.

now i wonder why people call them tossers :roll:

mansam

Post by mansam » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:40 pm

but then the question is...
hows a copper to know that your design is not on a particular helmet already and just wouldn't think twice about it?

and this warning... dont paint/add stickers... does it say it will make the standard void? or just a warning. hmmm... anyway, thanks for the info so far guys.

SKS, no longer fit for purpose?
My chin breaker lid (open face)... has plenty of scuffs and scratches and looks like it's seen a few mirrors and walls etc, but in reality it's just that it's scraped walls and i don't store it with a sleeve over it. I wonder if it would be considered not fit for purpose.
'07 XVS1100

Thespis

Post by Thespis » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:35 pm

mansam wrote:<snip>

SKS, no longer fit for purpose?
My chin breaker lid (open face)... has plenty of scuffs and scratches and looks like it's seen a few mirrors and walls etc, but in reality it's just that it's scraped walls and i don't store it with a sleeve over it. I wonder if it would be considered not fit for purpose.
If you got the wrong cop on the wrong day? Absolutely.

I've seen this happen ....

I also know someone who got a ticket for a "non Standards" helmet that was sitting on the seat of his bike when the cop walked up. They didn't see him riding with it (he had been ;-)) and he had a legal helmet in his bag attached to the bike, but they booked him on the assumption he'd been wearing it. He payed the fine .... I would have gone to court on principal, but that's me ....
cheers
Thespis
W.A.

2009 Speed Triple
'68/'76 T140V Chop

chop 69

Post by chop 69 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:06 pm

I have read somewhere , that the AS stickers can be removed with petrol, without damage to them. please check on an old helmet first !!! then re-aply after the new paint job. There is nothin better than a good custom job. :twisted:
If your whole life flashed befor your eyes.....
IS YOURS WORTH WATCHING !!!

Stray

Post by Stray » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:15 pm

you can mask up the sticker.

I would not paint a used helmet, only new ones. Also i only use AutoAir paint which is waterborne so the prep involved is less (i.e. using primer is not necessary as they make a basecoat sealer that is high build).

Make sure whoever you get to do it knows the proper prep and does not hook in with a heavy sanding process as that can affect the structural integrity of the helmet.
every man needs a shed, to put his stuff and clear his head and work out what the hell she said.

mansam

Post by mansam » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:13 am

Got a response about getting a single helmet certified (NOOOTTTTT)...
ie: single helmet cannot be certified, much to everyones assumptions already

But, read below what each place responded.

Monza Imports:
Unfortunately there is no way of gaining AS/NZS1698 approval on one helmet, it is a complicated process where batches (min qty = 200 units) are sent for testing and approval, without these tests helmets cannot be approved for use in Australia.

KBC helmets:
Unfortunately there is no way your OFS Ed Hardy helmet could be converted to an AS certification. Every helmet has a specific certification for each location. Since that particular OFS Ed Hardy helmet was distributed in the US market, it is only DOT certified. You will need to purchase a helmet in the Australian market for it to be AS certified. Let me know if you have any questions.

SAI Global:
Unless the helmet bears the ‘five ticks’ label/mark it has not been certified as compliant by SAI Global.
SAI Global ‘5 Ticks’ StandardsMark stickers can only be placed on the product by the certified manufacturer. As such you would need to seek assistance directly from the manufacture.
'07 XVS1100

Cherrybomb

Post by Cherrybomb » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:10 pm

I was going to reply, But stray has beaten me to the punch line.

Really. There is a LOT of grey area hear. Many Helmet manufacturers are producing what LOOKS like Custom painted Helmets to the market as it is. And there are guys THAT are Qualified by Helmet manufacturers, (Troy Lee being one) to paint on there Product with a seal of approval.

The Whole water Bourne product we use now really puts the old theory of Damage to question by the Authorities.

Personally I have never seen or read any scientific study or research stating that todays painters can or does harm or impair with any modern.... Read MODERN hear, helmets today!.... In the Past before Carbon composite materials and such. Maybe..... But then, Back then all helmets where Glass.
And well...... No one claimed Speed Boats where unsafe by being custom painted!!!

Dan
Because stock sucks!

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:09 pm

MotoGP and F1 drivers have their own Flag/design/number painted on their helmets. If you can buy a "Casey Stoner" special, it must have been repainted.

Just a thought.

I am going to repaint my brain bucket to match the tins on my chopper.
(and mask the stickers before-hand)

How many worms are in a can?
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

MArki

Post by MArki » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:03 pm

Hey fellas.
I know a dude who races commodore cup. He gets his helmets painted. They all do. And I assume that canna still recognises that they are ok to use so there must be a way of doing it legit.

I once met a girl at this festival I was playing who did some awesomee airbrush work.

She could paint helmets but used special techniqes, paints and base coats.

I was quoted 400 sheets to get a new helmet painted oranger with some stripes. Simple as design but apparently it's all in the prep work.
She would only paint on new helmets with the reciept of purchase.

My mate us paying around 2500 for his artwork on his helmets.
Not cheap

XSChop

Air FX

Post by XSChop » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:25 pm

Met a guy at the Medowie bike show last month with a stall selling painted helmets to your design.
Very nice airbrush work and quite reasonably priced.
Don't know if he's got a website but his email is air-fx@bigpond.net.au
I asked him about legality and removing stickers and his answer was that he was not aware of any illegality in painting helmets as long as
1/. The process did not damage the helmet in any way
2/. The sticker was retained in good order.

He either masks and paints round the sticker (I couldn't tell it had been masked) or removes the sticker and replaces it.
He said you need to peel off the first layer then remove the second layer with a special adhesive remover and then re apply them with the right sort of glues.
The sticker uses two different layers with different adhesives. The top one comes off easily but is left with VOID across it. The second has the VOID part on it and can apparently be removed in tact if you know the right solvent to use.
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”