Setting up your garage

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

mansam

Setting up your garage

Post by mansam » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:02 pm

Got some q's about essential tools etc...

What are required items in your workshop?

For arguments sake, I can't weld/paint, but I can do everything else good.

Pretty much what I'm planning to do is fit out my garage with everything I need to do all but weld/paint. That'll come in time.

So, pc/andrew your recommends?
Others, suggestions?
Any approx costs on these tools would also be very helpful.
Cheers blokes
'07 XVS1100

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Good quality socket set. 1/4" or 3/8" drive Metric and Imperial, for Jap or Brit/USA. You dont have to buy Snap-On or Sidchrome, just dont buy from "cheap" shop. Open end spanners will spread, sockets/ringies will strip.

.....and Duct tape, WD40. cable ties for the rest. Easy. :lol:
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

mansam

Post by mansam » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:25 pm

angle grinder? what blades in it?
drill? (drill press would be nice, and hole saws)

Got a handful of kingchrome spanners for the fittings on my bike, but not a set.
Sidchrome small socket set too with imp/metric sockets.

Tube bending, can u get a rig made up easy?
Bar fridge?

If I learnt to weld, i could 'glue' lots of stuff together and make some of my own devices I guess.
Who's up for giving me a few bits of training in welding?
'07 XVS1100

MArki

Post by MArki » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:50 pm

Some things I've learned over my short years of building cars and bikes is not so much the tools, but the space itself.

A lot of bench space, good lighting and organisation.

The industry I I've always worked in calls for toyota's 5S protocol.
"a place for everything, and everything in its place"

now in saying this, it would be hard to fund a place for every single item. But you get the drift.

As far as tools go.
Can't go past a good vice and bench grinder too.

I like to use a 60 grit disk on the angle grinder gives me a nicer finish on welds.

Oh
and a real big hammer for those small annoying things. Ha ha

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:41 am

Bench space I have

Lighting is poor

Organised, I have stuff every where, my shed is like a dogs breakfast.

One day it will be organised, well this is what I tell the misses any way.

I make space as I need it and so far it's working. But I do need to clean up, so I can put more bikes in there. Please dont tell my misses. :shock:
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

MArki

Post by MArki » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:08 am

bendnstretch wrote:
I make space as I need it and so far it's working. But I do need to clean up, so I can put more bikes in there. Please dont tell my misses. :shock:
hahaha the idea is to get em in there before she notices.

hahahaha

Chucky

Post by Chucky » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:21 am

Place plenty of your electrical sockets at waist height; you will still need some at floow level to prevent trip hazards but the waist height ones will save your back and make working in the shop more comfortable

When setting up your bench and vice height the vice is best situated at the height of your elbow to make hacksawing easier.

Get a couple of fire extinguishers

DO NOT HAVE A CLOCK!

And if I were still in the UK, a good pot bellied stove with old scrap ally strapped to the chimney to extract every last bit of heat from the coal :D

Cherrybomb

Post by Cherrybomb » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:01 am

Take a metal fab TAFE Course or its equivalent. You'll learn to weld with at least an Arc (Stick) welder. In theory you should learn to Mig also.. Once learned. You'll never forget, just like riding a Bike. And its an invaluable skill to have at your disposal. From holding Brackets via Tack welds or Building your self a Bench Grinding Pedalstool using simple scrap metal such as Car wheels, Axles, Brake drums, Exhaust tubing etc....

You'll also learn basic Metal fab. use a brake Press (if your lucky) Solder, Linish, Oxy, Braze. And learn the basics of Metals and the Industries terminologies.

Speaking of Oxy's. These can be Hired out Learn to use one. renting the Bottles is costly. With an Oxy you can weld, bend, Shrink sheet metal. akneel or harden metals.

Tools: Kinchrome, KCtools, repco is a good.
-Get hold a Good Ratchet and extentions.
-DONT Buy cheap screw drivers!
-Circlip Pliers.... A true God send.
-Cheap Sockets (buy em from a garage sale or secondhand dealer cheap) and use them For driving in wheel Bearings.
-Wire strippers/cutters. get a good pair(not expensive), The cheap ones bend when you need them to cut.
-A Good Torch!!!!... How many times have you dropped a bolt behind some casing and for the life of you you cant seem to find it back in that crevice?
-Magnetic Wand. You can make one of these out of an old speaker and Steel rod with Good Glue and Electrical tape. Or you could make your own. by charging the Rod with a powerfull magnet.
-Coat Hangers, Good for pulling wire through tight spaces/tubing.
-Nails, Sharpen these to use as scribes.
-Drifts. Very handy to have around. Sockets, with an extension can replace these.
-Wood, Blocks, sheets of the stuff can in handy to prop, wedge etc. And a saw to cut the stuff up.
-Adjustable Wrenches.. Small Med Large sizes. (Hold on every one...Hear me out) Use these to hold the back end of Bolts While turning on the threaded end with a Good Ring or Socket (often you dont have two to spare). I agree, Avoid using these for Undoing bolts. They don't get there Nickname for nothing!
-Multi Grips. Again Get a good pair. one size will do. Very handy. Be careful tho, They can be a close sister to the Adjustable wrench when they let go, Often taking skin with it.

A good shop (house broom) broom.
Dedicated coffee cup space.
Ear muffs..Get a good pair hear, Safety Goggles.
If your going to use an Oxy, welding gloves... But don't use leather Gloves for Grinding.... EVER...literally..NEVER!

SOUND.... You need some form of Tunes in there too. If your on Budget then a Radio... For a bit of bling. a cheap CD player will do.
Because stock sucks!

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:25 pm

A beer fridge.
Hey! I'm trying to help here.

Then get Mr. Cherrybomb to move in with you.
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Never give the other half access...or she'll pile all that 'itll be handy one day' stuff along the wall you want access to because it has good light.....of course Mrs Cromag has taken a new track, she thinks i havent cottoned on yet...but i know where this is heading....it goes like this..."wouldnt it be better if your office space was in the shed"
well it is now...and ive noticed that besides a couple pairs of boots and some clothes everything i own is in the shed.....she's even angling to get a bed set up down there as 'its handy when visitors stay'....well 2 can play at this game.....i might just set up camp down there.......now wheres that spare kettle shes got along that wall.

Cherrybomb

Post by Cherrybomb » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:41 pm

:D :D :D

Oh.... An Unused 44 Gallon drum cut down the guts with your trusty Miter-10 Angle grinder, with Four post legs will make a great wash/degreaser bath.

Oh Oh..... A Good Bucket seat. You know, Ripped out from some 18year olds Flogged VN commy thats laying waste in the front yard with a busted motor.

I'll rest up now.
:lol:
Because stock sucks!

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:17 pm

I was planning an article in next CNB on this topic, so good to get everyone's input and make it even better.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”