Help save a bike

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

bendnstretch

Help save a bike

Post by bendnstretch » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:51 pm

I have been asked by JJ to post this.

A mate of JJ's has past away due to a bike accident and now his wife wants to make JJ sell his.

Question to all:
What reasons should he give his wife, so that he can keep his bike.
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

midnight7503

Post by midnight7503 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:04 pm

You cant always live in fear,
when its your time to go, its your time to go,
doesn't matter if your riding a bike, or travelling in an elevator,
if its up, its up
“There is no heaven, there is no hell, except here on Earth.”

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:32 pm

Just tell her "no" .
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Sorry to hear about JJ's mate, but anyone could get killed in so many different ways every day, does she want him to get rid of the car too???

"Wife forces sale" really bugs me!!!!
:(

Thespis

Post by Thespis » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:27 pm

pommychopper wrote:Sorry to hear about JJ's mate, but anyone could get killed in so many different ways every day, does she want him to get rid of the car too???

"Wife forces sale" really bugs me!!!!
:(
Yeh, me to. So I don't have one.
I forgot just how much until I read this thread ;-)

Tell her we're all gonna die one day, and to get over it.

:twisted:
cheers
Thespis
W.A.

1982 XLH (getting there...)
2009 Speed Triple
2005 FZ1/DJP sidecar (sidecar very soon)
'68/'76 T140V Chop

sharky

Post by sharky » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:07 am

My (ex)wife gave up bikes 'cos they were dangerous and I could be killed' ...now she rides horse !!!
Maybe he should suggest that instead of bikes he takes up hang gliding or sky diving.

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:07 am

sharky wrote:My (ex)wife gave up bikes 'cos they were dangerous and I could be killed' ...now she rides horse !!!
I bet if you check into statistics, more people are seriously injured when they have a wreck on a horse then if you crash a motorcycle.
At least you only fall a couple feet to the ground on a bike instead if from 8 feet up on a horse.
Life isn't safe.
I'm with BearCx....
Tell her no.
Ride it like you can fix it.

78gold

Bikes

Post by 78gold » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:03 am

I can see her point, bikes not ridden with some care are dangerous, cars and trucks will win if in an accident with a bike.

My wife worries when I am away on the bike, she would rather I drove a car or flew in a plane but she would never try and demand that I stop riding because she knows how much I enjoy it.

We need to be stimulated, some people hang glide, parachute, watch horror movies or ride roller coasters. I ride a bike it makes me a better person when I can get out on the bike a couple of times a week at least. (Yep I am even a bigger knob when I dont get out on the bike.) :roll:

Just tell her not riding is not an option, despite contrary opinion it is possible to have a wife and a life. 8)
Nigel
78 Gold

SGT

Post by SGT » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:49 pm

I understand the concern of JJs wife and family. But if we removed all risk from our lives we wouldn't drive cars or fly either, geez we'd hardly leave the house.
I guess JJ is the only person who can make the final decision.
"OK, so what's the speed of dark?"

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:56 pm

What they said.....

my argument is, i am the one in control with the most options within any given traffic situation, whilst on my bike - i have maximum, room to avoid collission, i have superior manouvering capabilities, i can out brake and out accelorate the zombies in their tin tombs..., i can see better, hear and smell my surroundings, and therefore am better informed of my immediate environment - so iam acknowledging and embrassing my inner cave man skills,so iam as safe as i could possibly be in the worst and best of possible circumstances.....if you put me in a tin tomb, my reflexes are constrained by inability to employ my base instincts, therefore iam would be increasing the risk of danger, i do not wish to go through my life worried about transport related danger as it is such an integral part of my being and i choose to emanciapate my senses, and liberate my libido by exersicing my right to safe, self paced transport options -on my velocipide.

if that dont shut her down, go for a ride.....
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

midnight7503

Post by midnight7503 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Whats the other 1/2 willing to give up, to cover JJ giving up the thing he enjoys??

He lives in a house hold that is democratic doesn't he, or is he living in a dictatorship, where he is just an underling & does what ever he's told?

Now if he answers yes to the latter part of the last section,
well it doesn't matter what suggestion we come up with as he's under the thumb,
and nothing we suggest will stop the sale of the bike
“There is no heaven, there is no hell, except here on Earth.”

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:20 pm

She has a very real fear( held by many) and not helped by a close friends death.

My personal experience is that I have come off my bike a few times and hit a car head on on my bike. Worst I got was a broken wrist once and a sore leg another time plus various bruises and scratches. but I do acknowledge that I must have the protection of a few guardian angles!!!

I was driving a car at 80k on a open road and was hit head on by a couple of drunk lads in their cobra. I sustained major injuries in that accident that has affected the rest of my life incredibly. Granted if I was on a bike I would have been killed instantly.

However, if I had been a couple of seconds further ahead or behind there would have been no accident. There are many times I have had near misses both in cars and on bikes and probably dozens I am not even aware of.

So as someone else has said, death and injury is beyond our control.
We can only take the precautions we are comfortable with at the time... and they will vary with each person.

Rilda and I have endeavoured to develop our marriage as a partnership and neither dictates to the other. We discuss our decisions and often find we both compromise for the sake of our relationship.

In our situation, Rilda would understand how important riding was to me and I would understand her very freshly aroused fears.

End reslut would hopefully be me continuing to ride, but assuring her that I will be extra careful PLUS demonstrating in some way a modification of my riding habits. I would be making a big effort to show her my sincerity in this... after all what right do either of us have to purposely put the other under stress and pressure.

I would certainly be talking with (not at) her about all that Cromag has said.

JJ may need to obviously slow down, change from a sports bike to a cruiser perhaps even a chopper etc etc especially for the near future.

In the end, life is full of unexpected and unavoidable danger. The proportion of people choking to death and drowning is probably higher than motorcycle deaths. Check ABS (aust Beaureau of Stats) on this.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:52 pm

Good point Prof...Mrs cromag doesnt like to be talked at either.....
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Chucky

Post by Chucky » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:28 am

"He would have wanted me to keep riding, so I will, sorry darl"

unfortunately I've had to use this line after a lot of funerals :(

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”